History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Least amount of smog restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Least amount of smog restrictions

I am looking for a very specific set of information in order to narrow down which car would be best for building up in a smog state like california.

I am thinking earlier year Z28 or Iroc-Z with carb and smallest quantity of smog devices OEM (no tbi, no tpi, no crossfire, no computer). Just air, spark, fuel.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt
Re: Least amount of smog restrictions

All third gens have computers, carbs as well. All third gens came with CA emissions option. If you are looking to get around smog equipment, you have to go earlier than 80's
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5

1975 is the cut off year in CA from what I recall for exemption.
As far as anything after that, especially anything made in the '80s, has the full monte of emissions control devices, including AIR, EGR, EVAP, PCV(which isnt a bad thing) and catalyst. Having a carb vs EFI and mechanical vs. electronic controlled ignition really isn't going to be the make or break factor in passing emissions.
Having a motor in good working condition and tune, along with all the emissions devices operating properly and installed correctly is the key.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Originally Posted by Zane M
Having a motor in good working condition and tune, along with all the emissions devices operating properly and installed correctly is the key.

Regardless of carb or fuel injection, if the engine isn't operating properly then you're going to have issues regardless. I have a mildly modified '91 with TPI and I haven't had too many issues with smog in the fourteen years I've had the car.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks all! To clarify, i was hoping that some of the younger models of carb cars did not have computers for starters, but it sounds like they do? After having dealt with an 87 and 88 iroc-z tpi, i have tired of the many sensors and computer malfunctions, they are pricey and ultimately not worth the headache. Also, I would prefer as clean of an engine bay as possible, which is why I was also searching for least amount of smog devices, or if all 82-92 have the same quantity, maybe the most low profile?

Could you all explain, for example, what a computer is doing for an 82 LG4? I was under the impression those had none? I also had an 83 SC L4 and I didn't think it had a computer....

Also, in terms of smog tests...I am assuming that certain years of third gens or certain combinations thereof (manual, automatic, tpi, carb, etc) would demand different criteria for smog performance. I was hoping someone knew which carb'd vehicle allowed for the most emissions.

Last edited by Synful; 07-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Originally Posted by Synful
Thanks all! To clarify, i was hoping that some of the younger models of carb cars did not have computers for starters, but it sounds like they do? After having dealt with an 87 and 88 iroc-z tpi, i have tired of the many sensors and computer malfunctions, they are pricey and ultimately not worth the headache. Also, I would prefer as clean of an engine bay as possible, which is why I was also searching for least amount of smog devices, or if all 82-92 have the same quantity, maybe the most low profile?

Could you all explain, for example, what a computer is doing for an 82 LG4? I was under the impression those had none? I also had an 83 SC L4 and I didn't think it had a computer....

Also, in terms of smog tests...I am assuming that certain years of third gens or certain combinations thereof (manual, automatic, tpi, carb, etc) would demand different criteria for smog performance. I was hoping someone knew which carb'd vehicle allowed for the most emissions.

All 1981 and newer GM cars (NOT trucks and vans) had computers. I've heard rumors that some 1980 model year GM cars also had a more basic computer system, although I've never seen one personally.

If you're looking for something with NO computer equipment, you need to get something 1980 or older. Honestly, I'd say the earlier computer controlled cars had more ugly emissions equipment, vacuum line nightmares, and sensor crap than the later ones. The TPI engine bay in my '91 looks a LOT cleaner than the '85 LG4 305 I used to have, as far as that kinda stuff.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
All 1981 and newer GM cars (NOT trucks and vans) had computers. I've heard rumors that some 1980 model year GM cars also had a more basic computer system, although I've never seen one personally.

If you're looking for something with NO computer equipment, you need to get something 1980 or older. Honestly, I'd say the earlier computer controlled cars had more ugly emissions equipment, vacuum line nightmares, and sensor crap than the later ones. The TPI engine bay in my '91 looks a LOT cleaner than the '85 LG4 305 I used to have, as far as that kinda stuff.
actually I discovered via search that many earlier Canadian thirdgens had mech distribution and no ecm....
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

actually I discovered via search that many earlier Canadian thirdgens had mech distribution and no ecm....
Yes, I should have clarified...all 1981 and newer GM cars sold in the U.S. had computers.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

And an export model isn't going to be Cali legal.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

All of these cars have to meet roughly the same specs. (as far as the chemical composition of the exhaust)

It's relatively MUCH harder to maintain a carb at those specs, than EFI.

All of these cars that are legal in the US came with computer controls of some sort.

The computer-controlled carb system is now over 25 years old. Things in those cars that can't be replaced easily, or maybe even AT ALL, are going to be crumbling and turning to dust CONSTANTLY. Wiring, connectors, plastic pieces of all sorts, those air injection tubes, and so on. Major maintenance headaches when they go bad.

Life will be easiest with a newer car, with EFI, with relatively few miles on it.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys. But the goal is to have a street legal non computer controlled carb'd third Gen here in Cali. Currently talking to a state smog rep about a potential loophole for 'classic certification' granted to Canadian cars, which I also have read about here. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to note, Thirdgens (and F-Bodies in general) are much more expensive in Canada then they are in the US.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Anything built before 1966.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

It runs the timing and the POS compu carb.

You could just get an 82 car with all the junk on it and take it off between inspections. I had a similar problem in the early 80's in Houston with my 82, I swapped the engine for a 400 , I just put the stock exhausts intake and smog pump, and dizzy on for the inspection, then yanked it off again after. I had 67 vette style side pipes and hooker headers, edelbrock intake and a Holley carb with a Mallory dizzy most of the time.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 380 Likes on 324 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
All of these cars have to meet roughly the same specs. (as far as the chemical composition of the exhaust)

It's relatively MUCH harder to maintain a carb at those specs, than EFI.

All of these cars that are legal in the US came with computer controls of some sort.

The computer-controlled carb system is now over 25 years old. Things in those cars that can't be replaced easily, or maybe even AT ALL, are going to be crumbling and turning to dust CONSTANTLY. Wiring, connectors, plastic pieces of all sorts, those air injection tubes, and so on. Major maintenance headaches when they go bad.

Life will be easiest with a newer car, with EFI, with relatively few miles on it.
THANK GOD I do not live in the **** state of California where I have to put up with that crap.

Nobody in their right mind can argue that a computer carb runs cleaner than my OBD2 LS1 PCM controlled TPI inducted Vortec 350 engine.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fast355
THANK GOD I do not live in the **** state of California where I have to put up with that crap.

Nobody in their right mind can argue that a computer carb runs cleaner than my OBD2 LS1 PCM controlled TPI inducted Vortec 350 engine.
Texas is looking better and better to me everyday friend, trust me. I enjoy the weather, my friends, and of course, my job here in California at the present though. If there is ever a split into two countries you better believe I will be to Texas asap!

Sometimes the laws, including this smog law, are so asinine that I find myself ready to start Judas Priest - Breaking The Law - YouTube

Which is exactly what I will do if I can't find an exemption! There's still morality in this world and that's all I will stick to!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Suggestion: Move out of CA...