History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?

We have an entire subforum on this site dedicated to LSx swaps:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/

Your best bet would to be spend some time reading that. Making a stand-alone harness out of an existing one isn't rocket science and Pocket had some VERY good writeups on it.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird V6/83 Trans Am 5.0
Engine: undecided
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by 83Z28/L69
You won't be able to use you stock Qjet, its a computer controlled unit, You'll need one from 1980 or older. If you're going carbed LS, get the performer intake, it's a dual plane and will make good power down low and make it better to drive around town.
Sorry, by Q-Jet I didn't mean to imply the one on the car, I have one from my 78 dump truck that I had swapped out for a performer years ago. I have been giving some of the feedback or responses to my thread some more thought and I think I may try and keep it as original as I can. I can always use that front clip from the 85+ on my 91 down the road. I do like the black and gold so I think I may restore the car along those lines. Like somebody else said, make it my own bandit car.

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
We have an entire subforum on this site dedicated to LSx swaps:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/

Your best bet would to be spend some time reading that. Making a stand-alone harness out of an existing one isn't rocket science and Pocket had some VERY good writeups on it.
I appreciate the link but that’s really not the direction I want to go with the car anyway.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 Firbird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

I think your making a good decision. You have a running car. Sure the 5.0L is not great off the line, but they are good engines that will last. There are some cheap and easy ways to get more out of them. Fix the look of the car first, enjoy the engine until its done and replace it then. That's what I'm going to do. And when the motor doe's go, I will replace it with a engine/transmission already matched to each other. With the wiring harness and computer. It simplifies a lot of things and gets you back on the road faster. And isn't that what having the car is all about?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:32 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I think maybe AmorgetRS is trying to direct you to a more suitable section of the site for your plans with the car as this section is largely about History and Originality and less about modifications. Initially this was inquiring about Bandits and since there was no factory ThirdGen Bandits, and the aftermarket Bandits for ThirdGens was all appearance and not motor, I think you will get better results in another section that is more geared for performance modifications as that is sounding like what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by Boosted_Ecotec
I appreciate the link but that’s really not the direction I want to go with the car anyway.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

The Ground effects I think are also not original to the car... I might be wrong but the gfx that were introduced in 1983 were only on the Daytona model, in 1984 they were more standard but deletable...

Didn't see it in the thread, but the wheels are 88-92 Formula

John
Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird V6/83 Trans Am 5.0
Engine: undecided
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: Stock

I know this section is supposed to be for History and Originality so I appreciate all of the info on the car and the links as well.
I still have a lot of to do which leads me to about two hours of reading here every night before bed. I wish I had somebody to talk to about the car but I live out in the boonies and don't really know anyone in this State, so I do appreciate these forums.

Thanks