History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird V6/83 Trans Am 5.0
Engine: undecided
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: Stock
Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?

I couldn't find any information of it's existence, so I am assuming there wasn't. I recently picked up an 83 TA. The PO said it was a bandit edition but I didn't buy it because of that. I just wanted to save it from going to the bone yard.

What I have been able to gather is that it is a late model 83 with the carbed 5.0 HO. The car had been sitting for the last 6 years but the engine runs great and it has a rebuilt tranny. It has the WS6 wheels but not sure if it actually has the suspension or not. It sits higher than my 91 V6 Bird. It's supposed to be all original but not sure about the tail lights. The interior is shot so that is where I will begin.

Here she is..

Old 10-04-2014, 10:14 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?

No, there was no Bandit Edition Third Gen from the factory. There was a Special Edition Y84 black and gold ThirdGen but your pictures don't appear to indicate you have one of them as it's missing many of the standard features. Looks like a normal black and gold Trans Am.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 PM

Car: 83 Z28/L69
Engine: L69 305H.O.
Transmission: 6spd T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 LS 4th Gen

The wheels and tail lights are not correct to the car, but cool save none the less.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 formula, 89 formula 350 vert
Engine: 305, 355
Transmission: T5, t56
Axle/Gears: 3:45 9 bolt, 8.8 3:73

The tail lights are from an 86-92 base car or formula. The originals are the black tinted "lined" tail lights. The dash pad is also from an 85+ car and the seats are from a later car. It's not all original but overall it looks like a nice car. What are your plans for it?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by JT
No, there was no Bandit Edition Third Gen from the factory. There was a Special Edition Y84 black and gold ThirdGen but your pictures don't appear to indicate you have one of them as it's missing many of the standard features. Looks like a normal black and gold Trans Am.
I didn't think so but it's nice to put that behind me and move on with the project.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 83Z28/L69
The wheels and tail lights are not correct to the car, but cool save none the less.
Thanks man, I have a thing for black third Gen Birds.

Originally Posted by Eric-86sc
The tail lights are from an 86-92 base car or formula. The originals are the black tinted "lined" tail lights. The dash pad is also from an 85+ car and the seats are from a later car. It's not all original but overall it looks like a nice car. What are your plans for it?
My 91 has the same tail lights which is why I questioned its authenticity from the get go. I have been sand baggin' this website for so long, I should probably go premium. Plans for the car? I can't make up my mind as of today but there are so many great threads on this site that I have been reading over the years. I digress, I think what I really want is a fuel efficient V8 in a TA with some boost and blow off sound but not too loud, just respectful. You'll hear the car and it will do very well but it doesn't need to be the fasted car on the street.

Top of the list is a 5.3/4l60E stand-alone so that I can use HPTuners for the mild rear turbo build. The car doesn't have to be the fastest car on the road. I want to try and balance fuel efficiency with sound while getting the best bang for my buck by adding a little boost.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 Firbird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

Since this car already has been modified, you could make this your own 83 Bandit. It seems somebody already has started the project, put your own stamp on it. Give it the Bandit look they should have designed. It looks like a good solid car to work with.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 AM

It's a little funny, but I have a thing for white 3rd gen birds. What part of NC are you in?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bjpotter
Since this car already has been modified, you could make this your own 83 Bandit. It seems somebody already has started the project, put your own stamp on it. Give it the Bandit look they should have designed. It looks like a good solid car to work with.
Yeah man, totally. At least I know what it is and what it isn't. Should I decide to sell it down the road I don't want to be giving out any misinformation.

It's a little funny, but I have a thing for white 3rd gen birds. What part of NC are you in?
You know whats funny? I bought the 91 Firebird V6 because I wanted to stick a V8 in it. I was under the impression that was legal in the State but when I went to have it inspected, and they wouldn't pass it because it was missing a CAT, I started asking questions. Do you know when they started that law? One of the inspectors I spoke with said it was because of people putting V8's in S10's but it must be more than that. Anyway, since NC won't allow me to put put a V8 in it, I started looking for one that came with one from the factory. The funny things is they don't check any of the emissions equipment other than it being there. I asked an inspector what he'd do if I brought my 83 in with a fuel injected v8 out of a 2000 or newer and he said as long as it had a CAT and was a V8, he didn't care. Would you happen to have any more info on this? I've only been here for 3 years.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:09 PM

I've never heard of anything like that. I know of atleast 12-15 vehicles with V8s swapped into them, Most just run a dummy cat anyway. I know a couple of people that own inspection stations, I will ask them. Another bonus of friends with inspection station, 13 bucks and they pass them. LOL

I'll see what kind of info I can dig up for you.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-10-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM

I've never heard of anything like that. I know of atleast 12-15 vehicles with V8s swapped into them, Most just run a dummy cat anyway. I know a couple of people that own inspection stations, I will ask them. Another bonus of friends with inspection station, 13 bucks and they pass them. LOL

I'll see what kind of info I can dig up for you.
Yeah, I had that available to me when I lived in Cali but I don't know anyone here so I need to make sure I satisfy the State. I could care less about the Fed, even though what I plan to do to the car will be EPA friendly, in fact it would likely pass in Cali as well.

Thanks man.

BTW..I'm near Greensboro.

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I have the taillights on my 89 that belong on an 83 or 84 so I can show you what they are supposed to look like . I searched a while before I found these , in my humble opinion these are the "Firebird look" when it comes to taillights . The later ones don't have the same appeal to me , they look like every other set of lights on cars made in the late 80s / early 90s
I would much rather have those on there than what I have now. I don't mind them on the V6 but I will be changing the back on the TA for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Eric mentioned the dash pad. I'm going to need a new one anyway so I'll have to look into the differences. Any opinions on them?

Last edited by Boosted_Ecotec; 10-05-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 AM

This is the correct dash pad, it has two stripes/molded lines on it. IMO, I like the smooth dash pad better, also depends what you find at a decent deal.
Attached Thumbnails Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?-00j0j_kel9sxdhflx_600x450.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 AM

One of the things I like about Kansas is once you have shown the state the car, you never have to show it to them again. Unless it was totaled. The inspection is for VIN's and Mileage and nothing else. No yearly inspections are required. My Firebird was minus the cat, I didn't know it at the time. They passed me anyway. Didn't even look under the car at all. No smog check. Nothing! They don't issue front plates either. I took the mounts off the front of my Bird as soon as I got my new plate. The front looks so much better without that ugly plate.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 AM

This is the correct dash pad, it has two stripes/molded lines on it. IMO, I like the smooth dash pad better, also depends what you find at a decent deal.
Awesome. Thanks for the pic. I agree.

One of the things I like about Kansas is once you have shown the state the car, you never have to show it to them again. Unless it was totaled. The inspection is for VIN's and Mileage and nothing else. No yearly inspections are required. My Firebird was minus the cat, I didn't know it at the time. They passed me anyway. Didn't even look under the car at all. No smog check. Nothing! They don't issue front plates either. I took the mounts off the front of my Bird as soon as I got my new plate. The front looks so much better without that ugly plate.
Before I left Cali, all of the research I had done on NC indicated that emissions testing was OBD2 only. This is true but they do a visual inspection to make sure a v6 car has a v6 or that there is a CAT, airpump, EGR, PCV. One technician I spoke with said he mainly looks for the CAT and the correct amount of cylinders to pass the 95 and older. My SRT4 makes over 400whp and has meth injection but it passes with all of the mods done to it. They don't do a sniff test, just can't have any stored codes or a CE light. I wish NC was like Kansas.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Had a slight hurdle. The VIN plate on the dash is completely rusted. The steering wheel is rusting and even the gauges have some surface rust on them. Probably condensation I would imagine. There doesn't seem to be any real cancer areas anywhere. It actually looks pretty good.

So after calling 3 different Chevy dealers and getting nowhere, I spoke with the DMV inspector and he said the only thing he can do is issue me a new VIN which will be a new sticker in the door and different numbers. HE suggested contacting a body shop. I found a collision/restoration shop in Greensboro that said they could put a new plate on the dash for me and a new sticker for the door using the original numbers.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Sounds to me the like the T Tops were off and it got rained on at some time. Still, what a nice project to have. This car has a lot of potential and you have an open slate to work with. Take your time and have fun.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Sounds to me the like the T Tops were off and it got rained on at some time. Still, what a nice project to have. This car has a lot of potential and you have an open slate to work with. Take your time and have fun.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Speaking of VIN numbers. I could still read the label in the door and it would seem that I have a VIN H which means it is not a H.O. I guess that hood may not be original or somebody put HO stickers on it. You would think the car would have layers of paint on it by now but just one. Oh well, not a HO and likely just a bastard late 83 model. All the more reason to change the front clip. Going to a bone yard tomorrow to have a look around.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 PM

Your not restoring this car to original spec's anyway. Put the motor you want in it and the parts/options you want. I took the 5.0 sticker off mine for a respray. It had the word **** scratched into it. After the respray, I just liked the look without the sticker. I thought about a Bird on the hood, but I like the clean hood for now. I will probably respray the rest of the car in a year or two, and will rethink all the decals. Who knows I may want them all back on by then.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Can you say LSX/6spd? LOL. Good thing about the car, its looks nice and solid, you have a blank canvas to build anything you want without having to worry about killing a low production number special car.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Yeah. I guess I may have been clinging on to hope that the car was special. You know what though? I didn't buy it because I thought it was special, I bought it because I wanted a Firebird that was originally black with a factory V8 and I only had to drive 30 miles to get it. I drove to Tennessee to get the 91.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:05 AM

But it is Special. It's a 3rd gen that's being saved. When your at the bone yard your picking parts off of cars that were not special enough to be saved. I've seen several cars on this web site that were Special but abused beyond reasonable repair. I've been searching on line for a Bird to fix and resell. I've looked all around the country several times. Lightly fixable firebird's and TA's are rare. I don't know how many of these cars are left. For the first time since I bought my Bird last year, I passed another 3rd gen Bird. It was a nice Red mid to late 80's model. We waved at each other. Whether hidden in garage's, rotting in boneyard's or already gone, they are just not on the streets here in Kansas City anymore. So yeah, its special all right.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:42 PM

But it is Special. It's a 3rd gen that's being saved. When your at the bone yard your picking parts off of cars that were not special enough to be saved. I've seen several cars on this web site that were Special but abused beyond reasonable repair. I've been searching on line for a Bird to fix and resell. I've looked all around the country several times. Lightly fixable firebird's and TA's are rare. I don't know how many of these cars are left. For the first time since I bought my Bird last year, I passed another 3rd gen Bird. It was a nice Red mid to late 80's model. We waved at each other. Whether hidden in garage's, rotting in boneyard's or already gone, they are just not on the streets here in Kansas City anymore. So yeah, its special all right.
Wow. That was well said and I absolutely agree with you. I grew up with Knight Rider, A Team, Air Wolf, all those shows. I also wanted a 3rd gen but could never afford one. Then you get busy with life and work and kids and it's just easier to buy cars which is where my SRT4 came into play and also my Cobalt SS. I got bored with them however so I started looking for an original black Firebird to start with. I didn't care about the motor at the time because I was under the impression I could swap in a V8. It took me 18 months to find the car but I got it for around $1000 not running in good shape. 6 injectors and a coil later the car fired right up and runs excellent. That is going to be my turbo 3.4 project down the road. It has a nice enough interior to where it just needs a dash pad and a headliner but it smells nice and clean. The Trans Am, not so much. I need to go through the entire inside or I wont want to drive it. I paid $1000 for this TA which may have been too much to some, but the car showed up on craigslist and it was only 30 minutes away. I check Ebay, CL, and Auto Trader several times a week. I won't hesitate to buy another if the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't mind finding a couple of Camaros either.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:24 PM

For a grand, and its running, what a deal! The inside looks like it needs 1 or 2 days of detailing. I got a hand held carpet shampoo machine and a hand vac with a beater. Between the two, I've yet to have a carpet I couldn't save. New seat covers, dash and the inside should look and smell great. Your still under 2 grand, and you got a driver.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Ecotec
Had a slight hurdle. The VIN plate on the dash is completely rusted. The steering wheel is rusting and even the gauges have some surface rust on them. Probably condensation I would imagine. There doesn't seem to be any real cancer areas anywhere. It actually looks pretty good.

So after calling 3 different Chevy dealers and getting nowhere, I spoke with the DMV inspector and he said the only thing he can do is issue me a new VIN which will be a new sticker in the door and different numbers. HE suggested contacting a body shop. I found a collision/restoration shop in Greensboro that said they could put a new plate on the dash for me and a new sticker for the door using the original numbers.
As far as the rusted Vin, what about using a chemical derust product. I've used a jell before that ate the rust away. Wipe it clean, then clear coat it. If you take the dash pad off, you should be able to get to it. Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 PM

^^^
Great idea for the VIN plate. I'll give that a try. I have a professional carpet cleaner (Sniper 2 300psi) but I don't think the carpet is worth cleaning. It's about 3 different colors due to fading. The back seat pads just come off and it's missing the rear belts. I think I'm going to pull the interior apart and clean it up. Then maybe some fresh paint and go from there.

If I were going to sell this one I'd probably go in a different direction but I think I am going to do this car up for me. I'm selling two cars to finance my new adventure so I'll have about 25k between everything. Well, make that 20k. There's a spouse tax so I have to give her 5k. lol.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 PM

So I went to the junk yard today. Came back with about $150 less in my pocket but I got everything I need to make the A/C work and the compressor is good. I was also able to get the electric latch assembly for the hatch so that I can add that to the car. Got the stock air cleaner (just to have), the rear tail lights just to see what I can do to them, and the front with all the lights and brackets. Not a bad deal I think. I'm gonna hit up a few more junk yards over the next week or two...lol

Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-10-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Nice start. The best part is you get to make all the choices. Use this thread to keep us up to date.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the info, and will keep you updated. I wonder if it would be cool to just use this thread as my start to finish?

Also, I was only able to get the passenger side for the fender. What year/style is this?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Nice scores! I still think the 83-84 Aero cars look great. I would like to score a 84 T/A myself. I think your 83 will be a really cool car to build.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM

I'm gonna try and check out a larger junk yard today. I still need the fender ground effect for the drivers side. I'm not sure what years this front clip came on but the car I pulled it from was an 85.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm gonna try and check out a larger junk yard today. I still need the fender ground effect for the drivers side. I'm not sure what years this front clip came on but the car I pulled it from was an 85.
85-90
Old 10-08-2014, 11:52 AM

^^^

Yeah that's what I thought when looking on Ebay. There's 5 of them for sale but the cheapest $80. Seems like a more common piece so I'll hold out for now. I still cant find the passenger door molding for my 91. I've been looking for 18 months..lol
Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Didn't get to go to the bone yard today but I replaced the master cylinder, flushed the lines, replaced the brake hoses, and picked up a pair of calipers for just 16 bucks each. Put the premium pads in there so now I won't have to think about the brake system other than what I plan to change out on the back.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Are the rears drum or Disc?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Are the rears drum or Disc?
Drum.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Location: Michigan [Bodacious Member with the Bodacious TA'TAs (Trans Ams)]
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Formula - Authentic and REAL
Engine: 5.0 Liter

Neither is the rear spoiler.

They made black and gold TA's from '82 through '84 (I think maybe '85 also). But never understood why they were always so rare on the streets. There were more in the Pontiac brochures than in real life!

Same for hood birds. Popular in the brochures, rare on the cars sold. The hood bird came out in '86 (possibly '85).
Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Disc's for the rear I assume are part of the upgrade. Also I saw this on Mecum today. It is a 84 and a little different paint job. It sold for $14,000.
Attached Thumbnails Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?-1984-trans-am.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Location: Michigan [Bodacious Member with the Bodacious TA'TAs (Trans Ams)]
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Formula - Authentic and REAL
Engine: 5.0 Liter

S Oh well, not a HO and likely just a bastard late 83 model. All the more reason to change the front clip. Going to a bone yard tomorrow to have a look around.
I don't know why everyone hates the '84 nose. Just because it doesn't have fog lights??? I like it so much better than the '82/'83. And it's rarer than the '85-'90. If it were mine, I'd make it look like the '84 black/gold TA that appeared in the 84 TA brochures and commercials back then.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/pon...re/84fire.html
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by MintWS6FORMULA
I don't know why everyone hates the '84 nose. Just because it doesn't have fog lights??? I like it so much better than the '82/'83. And it's rarer than the '85-'90. If it were mine, I'd make it look like the '84 black/gold TA that appeared in the 84 TA brochures and commercials back then.

I totally agree!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MintWS6FORMULA

Actually I really like the front end on this 83. I just like the one I picked up better. I'm gonna spray both of them black. The other front may end up on my 91 if I don't find replacement ground effects pieces soon.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Disc's for the rear I assume are part of the upgrade. Also I saw this on Mecum today. It is a 84 and a little different paint job. It sold for $14,000.
Wow. Looks great! Once I get these other cars sold I'll have a spot in the garage for the TA.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 PM

Jamie, I can't believe I missed your offer, Oh well. Thanks anyway dude!
What do you guys think of this deal? Oh, feel free to LOL @ me, I do it all the time!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Complete-Stand-Alone-Engine-And-Transmission-Package-4-8-4L60-295-HP-LS-LSx-/271630252524?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3e6cb9ec&vxp=mtr
Do you remember that article done years ago where I think Hotrod thought they had a 5.3 and boosted it and couldn't kill it? They took it to over 1000HP and found out it was a 4.8.. lol. Anyway, for 2k that seems like a good way to go and then add a GT35-GT45. Nothing crazy.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

I think the only problem you'll run into is the truck accessories,truck intake and oil pan. After you figure in Holley accessory brackets, Car water pump, car intake,Fbody oil pan, you be into the swap about 3500. Plus might as well cam it.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Do you see any advantage to using the electronic transmission over my 700r4? The trans in the car now had been rebuilt a year before the car was parked.

The 5.0 leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn’t feel any better than my 91 V6 off the line. It may have a little more in 3rd gear but it needs way more. I was thinking of yanking the 5.0 and selling it while transplanting a 5.3 into the car and just using my Q-Jet. While it's out I'll change the cam and it looks like aside from the oil pan and intake manifold, I may be able to fab up a custom bracket to lower the alternator or even relocate it to the other side. I think this alone should make the car fun to drive while I focus on other things.

Front wheel bearing make noise and the struts are shot. I'm gonna finish rebuilding the front end before I do anything else. I took bjpotter's advice and used my carpet cleaner on it. A gallon of Zep is only $9 and it's not like I don't always have it in my trailer anyway. The front carpet is brown while the rear is gray. It may not look the best but at least it smells good now.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 PM

The only problem you'll run into with your 700R4, You'll need a LS to GenI flex plate adapter or a conversion flexplate. The adapter is about 40-50 dollars and the flex plate is about 150.00. Ad a governor kit and Vette servo to your 700ra and you'll be ready to rock.

You won't be able to use you stock Qjet, its a computer controlled unit, You'll need one from 1980 or older. If you're going carbed LS, get the performer intake, it's a dual plane and will make good power down low and make it better to drive around town.

Last edited by 83Z28/L69; 10-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing a carbed LS1 swap is probably more expensive than sticking with the EFI setup.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Doing a carbed LS1 swap is probably more expensive than sticking with the EFI setup.
I have to agree. The intake and power box are almost 800.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

I can get a 130-150k mi 5.3 with all accessories for about $500 which includes the harness and ECU but it's not modified to run standalone. For about $1200 I can get a 5.3 with a modified harness to run standalone but I don't know anything about these guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-4-8-5-3-or-6-0-LSx-Complete-Stand-Alone-EFI-Engine-Wire-Harness-ECM-/271637678931?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3ede0b53&vxp=mtr
Looking at the harness above, I assume this is just a modified GM harness and truck ECU? Does that mean it should have an OBD2 port somewhere for communication?

I really like the 5.3 engine. I had one in my 2005 Silverado before I traded it for my Duramax. That 5.3 had 200k and it didn't leak a drop. It seems like the design is better and less prone to oil leaks.

Quick Reply: Was there a Bandit edition in 83 ?