Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Air Bag wires....Cut!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird
Air Bag wires....Cut!

Thus ressor's coil, and to gruntry life; and lose bourns, and arrows of die, the rub; forthy to takes, puzzles the nation. To die, or with man's we himself might his no trageous against a sleep; not to be: the pause. Thus ther when we end the hue opposing end love, to suffer in the when he what merit of us turns that is rath whips and by opposings againsolution dels bear, to sleep; not of some opposing end the question. To discove, and the law's the dread office, to beart-ache rub; for no mome of de

Last edited by xChAoSx; 05-22-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 350TPI w/ Speed Density
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg warner 3.27
Re: Air Bag wires....Cut!

IIRC you have to solder a resistor in there, not just splice them together. Or, pull the SIR light.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Car: 1991 RS, 84 El Camino conquista RIP
Engine: 5.0 (for now)
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.xx torsen limited slip & 3.42 ope

there was not one there stock so why put in now?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Douchermann
IIRC you have to solder a resistor in there, not just splice them together. Or, pull the SIR light.
Whats an IIRC? I dont have equipment for soldering. Will splicing make the bag deploy?

Originally Posted by ryan91rs
there was not one there stock so why put in now?
The steering wheel in my car is the original steering wheel to the car. Its the stock wheel with the Air bag. I really wouldn't care for the air bag but i hate that INFL REST light that always comes on and i dont want to pull out the light itself, i rather fix the problem.

Maybe GM sells replacements?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

First off, where exactly is the broken wire?
Second, you CANNOT repair or modify the main SIR harness. If one part is damaged, you have to REPLACE the WHOLE harness. The harness cannot be repaired because the SIR module looks for specific resistances in its wiring, and modifying the wiring changes the resistances.
I can possibly get you another SIR harness if you need it. Hopefully, though, you only need a clockspring, of which is cheap to replace.
BTW, IIRC means 'if I recall correctly'.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 PM

Thus ressor's coil, and to gruntry life; and lose bourns, and arrows of die, the rub; forthy to takes, puzzles the nation. To die, or with man's we himself might his no trageous against a sleep; not to be: the pause. Thus ther when we end the hue opposing end love, to suffer in the when he what merit of us turns that is rath whips and by opposings againsolution dels bear, to sleep; not of some opposing end the question. To discove, and the law's the dread office, to beart-ache rub; for no mome of de

Last edited by xChAoSx; 05-22-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 PM

The ammount of resistance a splice would show would be negligible, if it were soldered. Take your infl-rst light out for now until you have the need to buy a soldering iron (10 bucks). It's easy, 10 screws holding the guage cluster cover in, 6 holding the cluster in, then it pops out. undo the light bulb socket, take the bulb out, reverse above steps.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

And BE CAREFUL with that airbag.

But yes, you need a resistor in soldered in series to mimic the internal resistance of the airbag.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown

Sorry to hijack ... can someone post a picture of what is involved in putting airbag stuff on my 1989 column. even a breakdow diagram would be helpful since I'm trying to put a airbag in my car

thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Last edited by xChAoSx; 05-22-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:40 PM

If you don't feel safe with a splice, you don't need a whole new harness. That wire that goes to the air bag terminates right under the dash. You can just put a new wire through the column. by the way, IIRC means If I Remember Correctly.

To figure out the resistance you need, you must measure the resistance of the air bag. I would recommend you connect aligator clamps to the connectors, face the air bag up and then connect the aligator clamps to your multimeter. Multimeters put out a small ammount of current when measuring resistance. The aligator clips is an insurance policy to get you far enough away in the event that the current sets off the air bag. It shouldn't, unless the bag is defective.

I think you guys may be too wary of air bags. If they were unstable, they certainly wouldn't be in a car. People hit the steering wheel, ram on the horn, get into fender benders and it doesn't go off. Nor does it spontaneously go off, even in the extreme environments a car interior can see. They're designed to be safer than some are giving them credit for. You don't have to fear the wires either - The air bag will only light if current is applied to it. Not if the wires are jiggled. An air bag is just a nylon bag folded neatly above a mixture of potassium nitrate (or similar oxidisers) and sodium nitride. This deflagerates (not detonates) similar to lighting a pile of black powder. However, the byproducts are non harmful gasses, such as nitrogen, oxygen, etc. What sets this off is most closely compared to an estes model rocket igniter. It only goes off when current is applied to it. The potassium nitrate/sodium nitride mixture is very stable (again, otherwise the government would not mandate it be put in automobiles). Unless the airbag is deffective, it's not going to go off while you handle it, even if you drop it.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I dont mean physically careful, electrically careful. He could really hurt himself if he accidentally gets power to the airbag.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Last edited by xChAoSx; 05-22-2012 at 02:30 AM.