Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Interior
Register Forgot Password?

Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 LO3
Transmission: 4L60

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Upper door trim

Hi,
My upper door panel trim is loose at the edge, closer to the door lock. It looks like is somewhat bend(maybe the heat from TX), the rest of it sit pretty well with the door panel. The trim is missing all the fasteners. The problem I have is that it vibrates when riding. Any suggestion how to keep the edge level with the door panel? Glue, 3m adhesive, fasteners, etc.?

Thanks in advanced!
podiatra is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

Re: Upper door trim

Been a little while since I last did this, but if I recall, there are some "washer type fasteners" that put the upper door trim into contact with the actual door panel trim. At least that is what was on my '88 GTA. Now as far as adhesives, Rapid-Fix has worked very well for me. I've also heard that Gorilla Glue is very effective.

Hope that helps.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Classifieds Rating: (4)

You have to take off the door panel and see what is going on. Like GTA50 said, there are fasteners along the top. There is a good chance that someone removed the panels improperly and ripped the cardboard on the door panel where those fasteners are. If that is the case, you need to figure out how to repair the cardboard. I used epoxy, fiberglass and resin. If your door rails (the part that is sticking out on your door) are in good shape you should be able to reuse them. Just be careful removing the speed nuts that retain them to the door panel. The studs are going to want to break off the trim.
82tarecaro is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

I agree that the first thing to do is to remove the door panel completely to determine exactly what the issue may be.

Chances are that if the panel is lose at the top, someone has had that panel off before and done so incorrectly, as 82tarecaro said.

You can reinsall it without fixing the top edge or even reinstalling the speed nuts, but you will need new snap fasteners for sure, these are the plastic pieces that are located around the edge of the door panel and are pressed into the frame. You can buy the right kind at any auto store (Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts, for example. Even ACE Hardware may carry them). Suggest you have one of them as a sample, just in case. And you will need a bunch. I forget how many but it seemed that my doors (1984 T/A) took something like 10 fasteners each.

There is a special tool you can use to remove these fasteners without risking damaging the panel itself, but you can still remove them with a screwdriver or prybar. And you will also need to remove the plastic trim around the door handle and the armrest bolts. Not sure what else may be necessary for a 1991 but this is not the hardest job and once you get started, fairly easy to figure out.

If you decidide to do the repairs yourself, take some pics along the way and post them here along with your comments. This helps others who may run into a similar situation.
LHernandezJr is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

Thanks for you all help. You all are correct. Somebody previously removed the panel and the trim incorrectly. Therefore, all "washer" fasteners in the upper door plastic trim are gone. Also, the "holes" in the door panel (ones that hook on the fasteners) are broken.

The trim sit well in most of the panel however, only the edge flairs up, and rattles. The rest of the fasteners(to hold the rest of the panel) are new.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: GMPP - 350 HO Crate
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:70

Classifieds Rating: (3)

I had the same thing happen. It turned into quite a project.

Wound up replacing all weatherstripping, door handles, dynamatted the door and ordered new panels. Once I get my new panels in, I should have no reason to pull it off ever again.
86 IROC Z "SKID ROW" - GMPP 350 Crate, T5, mild cam, Edelbrock carb + RPM intake, Hurst shifter, custom exhaust, headers, Flowmaster muffler, LS1 aluminum driveshaft, BW 9 bolt swap w/ 3.70 gears and rear disc brakes, slotted/cross drilled rotors, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders LCA's + Relocation Brackets, custom tubular torque arm, UMI sub-frame connectors, Edelbrock triangulated STB, J&M cc plates, poly bushings, 18 inch iroc replicas, sumitomo rubber, custom interior from Mr. Mikes, custom audio... more to come

Ruckusz28 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

I may need to do that.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Interior

Tags
1991, camaro, clips, dallastx, door, firebird, gm, interior, moldings, panel, pontiac, rail, retainers, thirdgen, top, trim, upper