Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Sound deadener- how much for full interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Sound deadener- how much for full interior

I'm planning to use a butyl sound deadener like dynomat under my carpet which I will be installing soon. Does anyone know how many square feet of deadener mat it will take to do a full interior pan? I plan to go up as high on the firewall as possible without removing the dash and everywhere under the carpet. I will likely do under the side panels and wheel wells.

Also, I know it's been covered other places but what other materials would you suggest besides the mat? Undercoating below? Other matting or isolators under the carpet?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 AM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Sound deadener- how much for full interior

I used Hush Mat and I'm very pleased with the results.
It gives you twenty (20) 12"x23" Ultra Damping Pads (39 sq. ft.)
See photos for coverage.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks sunbitz, it looks like a vert so I suppose that didn't include the over-axle and rear tub areas. I calculated about 106sq/ft for everything but don't know if I'm gonna go nuts with it. There are some 65-75sq/ft kits out there.

Did you double up in any areas such as the firewall or use additional sound suppression products? What is your overall opinion of it?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 AM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

Overall?
I'm very pleased with the product, just don't expect quiet as a Cadillac and you'll be happy also. The 20 sheets covered from the firewall to the over the axle area in mine. I did not do the trunk (yes, its a vert), but 40 sheets would more than cover everything I need.

The product is not super sticky until you put pressure on it. So you can peel it right back up if you need to. I could tell a large difference when it comes to sound deadening when I tapped on the metal compared to the hushmat.
I did not double up in any areas because I did not feel there was a need for it.
When cutting the material.... Buy some of those cheap scissors from the dollar store and a can of WD40. The WD40 removes the butyl residue which will gum them up quickly.

Biggest tip I could offer you is... Make sure your floor pan is clean!
My camaro is a desert car from Cali so I got lucky and no rust issues, but I did paint some areas. See pictures...

Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Very nice bitz, thank so much for the info. I found a "new" company called Noico thru Amazon, 80mil butyl product that was only ~$110 for 72sq/ft so we'll see how it goes. I couldn't find a spec on the foil thickness but it should do the trick as far as mass loading. I haven't pulled my carpet up all the way yet but from what I have seen it's average to good as far as cleanliness an better than average on rust so I think I'll be ok. I will touch up as you've shown as needed.

I don't expect a luxury car experience. lol I am planning to go a few extra steps however to mute exhaust/engine/rear end noise and especially heat from the engine compartment. I haven't looked closely at how a vert is constructed in the rear half but the hatchback's hump over the rear axle is two large, flat panels that basically act like a big drum. The "well" in the rear is also a place where sound/vibrations seem like they would have a good entry point and are of course right by the exhaust muffler and exit.

I have a silicone sheeting product that should be a good barrier on top of the padding and then use a thinsulate like mat between it and the carpet itself. I'm going to order the carpet with mass backing as well so it should be about as good as one can do. I will try to get pictures along the way as you've done and share them here.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Hey bitz, a little off topic but it appears you have the same gray deluxe interior as I have in my Iroc. What did you do for you seat upholstery? I really want to go with the stock material but it is sooo expensive, more than leather even @ $97/yard. I leaning toward the synthetic leather like "Ultra leather" but not sure how it may feel in the summer heat. Once you get away from the stock material there are so many choices it's hard to decide. I want to keep it stock looking or at least something that might have come from the factory. Any suggestions or pictures would be helpful.