Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Spare Key won't go into ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 camaro z28
Engine: 305 crossfire...soon to be 5.3l ls1
Transmission: 2004r :( I need a new one
Axle/Gears: 3.43 10 bolt I think
Spare Key won't go into ignition

So I broke my key in half that was made by ace hardware(not in the ignition long story of me being an idiot)

So I get my spare but it won't even go into the ignition?? This spare was made at the same time as my original key. I need to drive about 4 hours and don't have time to swap out the ignition cylinder(and its 20 degrees out).

I also have a tag that the PO told me had the code for the key, but the locksmiths say 87 is either to old to have a code or the code only pulls up a 97 vats key? One guy did say it referenced an 87 corvette but then when I went there he was gone and the others there said it was a 97...

The only odd thing I had experienced with the ignition is that sometimes it would be slow to return to the run position after cranking over.

The only solution I have found is using whats called a gm force tool to break the ignition cylinder housing so you can freely turn it. http://www.lockpicks.com/gm-magnium-force-tool.html (man its way to easy to steal these cars)

Anybody have any ideas on wtf is going on?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Spare Key won't go into ignition

Vats is 89 and up 87 didnt have vats.
So what is the question? How to fix a slow switch your spare key wont work on or how to break thee ignition so yoi can drive the car?

I say just pull the steering wheel off and remove the ignition switch for now and use some needle nose plyers to start the car
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '84 Firebird TA & '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 350 V-8 & V-6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 & 3.42

Has your spare key worked before? If not, they may have grabbed the wrong key blank when they made your spare. GM switched key styles mid 3rd Gen I believe. Later ones will not go into early cylinders.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Always check that all new cut keys fit and operate all the locks on the vehicle, preferably BEFORE you leave the hardware store.

Make sure the keys and blanks have the same letter codes stamped on them. I once had three sets of keys cut for my '92 Lumina and I checked them after I returned home. While the ignition key blanks looked the same and fit the lock, it wouldn't turn the cylinder - different letter code blanks than the master.

The three door keys were cut with the correct lettered blanks. They wouldn't turn the door lock cylinders. Comparing the "master" and the new cut blanks, I could see no difference. However, the newly cut keys did have a miniscule "tit" hanging off the end. A few strokes of a file and they worked perfectly. Don't discount that the keys were cut properly or set up in the key machine correctly.

I now skip the hardware stores and go to a locksmith. Much better product knowledge.

Also, don't use those automated key cutting machines. All they produce is garbage.

Sorry I don't have an easy solution to your problem.