Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 305ci 4 barrel Edelbrock carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Rear hatch

This is a hot item for all of us.. I have replaced the pull down motor and housing 2 times now. After the first time I figured the new guides in the channel were to tight so I sanded them down so the entire mechanism easily moves up and down. Gaskets for rear hatch are probably original so I left alone for now.
I checked every damn part on this then installed another pull down housing, well this one lasted a month, housing is cracked again... am I a moron, what the hell am I missing with this thing?
Is there a way to adjust how much it pulls down? It may be putting to much pressure on that plastic housing when closed.. not only is the housing cracking but the gears are destroyed.. what am I doing wrong
I am going to get a replacement part, advanced auto parts has it on the shelf under warranty but I don't want to break another...
Old 12-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Rear hatch

The entire thing is adjustable. Loosen the three bolts that hold the frame to the body of the car and it can move up/down. Move it as far up as possible without compromising the seal of the weatherstripping to the hatch.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: Rear hatch

You can get a housing from an old Cadillac DeVille trunk pulldown from the junkyard...they're plentiful, and cheap.

I'm beginning to wonder, how good are your gas cylinders for the rear hatch? The hatch is extremely heavy, and if they cylinders aren't doing their job, that tiny motor is trying to lift close a hundred pounds or so of hatch...

Keep in mind, you live in Kansas, and I'd bet your problem started when the weather got cooler--the gas cylinders aren't going to be doing as much when it's cold, so if they're marginal already...

Try opening the hatch, and note how much effort is required to lift the hatch up with your hand.

I could be wrong, but it's worth checking.