LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Swaping LT1 1993

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
ok, I withdraw my statement! sorry about that, just ignorance talking again. wish I would have known that when I did my swap
Old 06-27-2001, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt., I will scan and email the pages tonight.

As far as my swap is concerned, we still have not gotten started. We got rained out. We plan on pulling the V6 tomorrow after work. We will see what happens., it rained today. Hopefully, I will be able to work on and clean up the v6 wiring by this weekend. The wiring on my v6 is bad bad bad., I want to use as little of it as possible.

My biggest problem right now is what to do about my A/C. Just not sure how I am going to tackle that one... As I am sure you are aware the lines on the compressor exit in such a manner that they will hit the cross-member(think that right). I purchased a passenger side motor mount that the guys at hp salvage say will work., but now I need to find lines that exit to the left as opposed to down, around and left (GM engineers...gotda love em).

If anyone know how to solve this problem, please let me know...

v/r

m-t
Old 06-28-2001, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
MULTI, there's a 90 degree adapter for a/c compressor, I don't who makes it , but I saw it in a post.

------------------
89 Camaro RS Stock as a women with white panties
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:18 PM

multi, whould you have wiring diagram for ecm of 89 tbi ???

I can't find the wires for TCC switch and also park neutral switch...

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

actually I made the post about the 90* adapter, you can get it through CarQuest, I havent had a chance to put it on yet but just holding it up to the comp. I know it will fit
Old 06-28-2001, 08:56 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TexasLT1:
actually I made the post about the 90* adapter, you can get it through CarQuest, I havent had a chance to put it on yet but just holding it up to the comp. I know it will fit</font>
TexasLT1, you the man. Thanks, you just save me some cash. I was only to have the one that came with the engine re-done. Do you know the part number?

Thanks

m-t
Old 06-28-2001, 09:07 PM

mat89RS, I could not get the service manuel for the 89...they don't make them anymore. All I have is a Chilton's.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

sorry, I dont know the part number right now, but as soon as I get home I'll look around and see if I can find it
Old 07-01-2001, 08:04 AM

Thanks, TexasLT1...
Old 07-03-2001, 12:58 PM

texaslt1, question for you... when you did the wiring which way did you plug the cooling fan ???

multi tasking, question for you. do you remember, few post ago I've asked for 4 pin connector with PPL connector for starter solenoid, well I need to know something

Black Connector 4 pin
|A|B|C|D|
A is PPL and is ignition (crank starter)
B is BLK/WHT Ground
C is ORN Power feed from ECM BAT fuse #4
D is Empty

do you think B needs to be grounded or it supply ground for something ...

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

sorry man, I can't find the part number for the adapter, I think it was on the receipt that I probably threw away. actually I just hard wired the fan so that its on all the time, it never gets cold enough here to worry about it not warming up
Old 07-05-2001, 05:15 PM

Matt, I sent you the ground distribution graphics for c210 via email.... That circuit provides grounding for several components....

Took the V6 on Sunday. Will start physically working on wiring tomorrow...

TexasLT1 told me about a compressor exit "device" that exits the compressor in a usable fashion...for our applications. Pick one up at CarQuest today for US$23. Looking at it., I have no doubt it will fit and work... We will see...

Hope you are still having fun..

m-t

TexasLT1., Thanks again..
Old 07-05-2001, 07:23 PM

Matt., Sorry, I forgot., the part number 202058...
Old 07-06-2001, 03:46 PM

no a/c for me !!!, I believe that t/tops and air conditionning is kinda ackward. no need for that . FRESH AIR FOR ME GUYS !!don't forget I live in canada, weather never reach higher than 32-35 degree.

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

lucky you, Im dying without a/c, it never gets below 85 during the day down here, and I cant take off the t-tops right now becuase my headliner is messed up, oh well, I still wouldnt give up my car for anything, well...
Old 07-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

multi, how are you going to do the wiring for the a/c clutch? Im looking at the wiring diagrams right now for both of them. On the 92, the clutch gets a signal from the control switch and a pressue cycling switch, and also the a/c request signal from the ECM. on the 95, there is also an a/c request signal, but I also see a wire from the ECM that says a/c slutch status that goes to an a/c compressor relay. whats it talking about? I cant find anything else anywhere about a compressor relay, unless maybe its like the high pressure switch on the 92's compressor? I think I can splice the wire from the pressure cycling switch to the ac request signal at the compressor, but I'm not sure how well it will work. if you dont follow me I can understand
Old 07-08-2001, 07:53 AM

TexasLT1, I am wiring the under hood portion of the car as it was wired in the 93... I am following the "big book" and making a under hood fuse box... I guess a more honest answer would be re-making because I have a v6 fuse box and I am just adding circuits.

My AC compressor is already wired.... I think it's almost new (the wiring is spliced)... There are two white wire that go to two green wires that feed into a connector. The connector goes to the ECM harness... If you need., I can find the ac wiring diagram in the book and send it to you... Or I have a buddy with a digital camera., we can take a picture and I can send that to you...

If you need some help figuring out 92 to 95 wiring... email me your diagrams... If I can't figure it out I will take it into the office and have the guys take a look... They have not failed me yet!

TexasLT1., do you know anyone that does hydraulic(ms) work at a decent price? How far are you from Houston? The folks here (close to Houston) want a gold mine to make my AC, PS, and fuel lines...

Sorry about the long message., let me know what you need as far as your ac is concerned….

Ron

Old 07-08-2001, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

a photo would be really nice, but after I posted the message my dad and I sat down and looked over all of the diagrams I could find, and what we decided to do for now is simply wire a switch to the a/c compressor relay so that when the switch is thrown, the compressor turns on, and just leave the computer out of it for now. I just want a/c, dont care how it works! later we will come back and wire it right becuase there are a few other things that we could clean up as well.

as far as the hydraulics, cant help you there. I live in Angleton, and my dad works with all that kinda stuff everyday so he knew what kinda fittings to get to adapt everything. for the a/c, we kept the stock fittings, like the big one that screws onto the accumulator, and the two that screw onto the a/c radiator or whatever its called, and then went to NAPA and got some new a/c hoses. we then used screw down hose clamps to put it all together, and put the hoses onto the 90* adapter with hose clamps. it looks like it will all hold together pretty well, we tried to pressurize the system last night but one of the gaskets on the 90* fitting where it mates to the compressor fell off while we tried to fanangle (?) it into place and all of the freon leaked right back out. today we are going to redo it and put the gasket back on with some RTV so that it will stay in place while we put the fitting in place.

dont worry about long messages, I do it to!
Old 07-08-2001, 02:49 PM

TexasLT1, I will get my friend to take a few pictures and I will email them to you....He is a great guy!

Matt...How is it going? It so hot down here I can't work on the car without great pain(:-)
Old 07-08-2001, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

just for clarification purposes, what is he taking pictures of? the actual installation or the wiring diagrams?

------------------
-'92 RS with self-installed '95 LT1
-Heddman Headers
-TPIS throttle body airfoil
-MSD 6-AL Ignition
Kills
-'97 Mustang Cobra
-'98 V6 Camaro
-'89 5.0 ****stang
-'97 Sebring
-'96 ****stang Cobra

Losses
-'99 Mustang GT
-'96 Mustang Cobra
-'95 Z28 (good race)
-'96(?) Turbo Eclipse (d*mn good race, heavily modified)
Old 07-09-2001, 12:03 PM

it's going no so bad. i'm not sure what I what to do, buy a harness, do mine. I'm waiting for you to finish to tell me if it's works !!!!! mouhahahaha.

anyway , days ares long here, working working working ...I would like some vacation

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:09 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TexasLT1:
multi, how are you going to do the wiring for the a/c clutch? Im looking at the wiring diagrams right now for both of them. On the 92, the clutch gets a signal from the control switch and a pressue cycling switch, and also the a/c request signal from the ECM. on the 95, there is also an a/c request signal, but I also see a wire from the ECM that says a/c slutch status that goes to an a/c compressor relay. whats it talking about? I cant find anything else anywhere about a compressor relay, unless maybe its like the high pressure switch on the 92's compressor? I think I can splice the wire from the pressure cycling switch to the ac request signal at the compressor, but I'm not sure how well it will work. if you dont follow me I can understand</font>
Let's back up just a bit --- which compressor are you using? Is it the one from the 95? Which computer are you using? Which manuel do you have?

Sorry, but I don't want to say something that is incorrect!

Ron
Old 07-09-2001, 06:19 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by multi-tasking:
Let's back up just a bit --- which compressor are you using? Is it the one from the 95? Which computer are you using? Which manuel do you have?

Sorry, but I don't want to say something that is incorrect!

Ron
</font>
I wish I could afford to buy a harness -- I would.... I came close this weekend., but sucked it up and continue working on building mine.

I traded the 2.8L for wheels and a few other thing I think I need. So for the bit of sun light thats left after work I pull wires very slowly... Don't want to pi** off a happy customer.

I think at the rate that we are going and the care we are taking., between TexasLT1, you and myself we may be able to find something to write about and get a tech article or two... What do you guys think?

v/r

Ron
Old 07-10-2001, 09:49 AM

Well so far I'm putting together a article for swaping lt1...I tought the same thing about 1 month ago, we could do something really great. GUYS, I'm thinking about starting a new post "SWAPING 93 LT1 "2", the first one is becoming really big and it takes forever to load with a 56K !!!

anyway tell me what you guys think.

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:44 AM

im doing the lt1 swap w/ a 94 w/ trans and everything. if you guys do write something.
maybe i could help.

------------------
<A HREF="http://ca.geocities.com/zander0710/" TARGET=_blank>
1992 Camaro RS</A>
****In The Work****
94' Z28 Drivetrain(LT1,4L60E,PCM,3.42 posi w/ disk), Walbro 255P fuel pump
!A/C,!cat, !A.I.R, Full Hooker exhaust,Custom program(Rev.b based)
Old 07-10-2001, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

I think we have all had the same thought of writing our own article, and I think with all of us working together, it would be one hell of a guide. sorry about not telling you what Im using, I didnt even think about that, Im using the 95 compressor and harness, Im using a Chiltons manual for both cars, and Im using just about every wiring diagram (cant find some of them) out of the GM shop manual. when we did the swap I had all of the diagrams together in one spot but over time they have become separated so I cant seem to find the ones I need. Im still looking though and if I can find them my troubles will be solved. if not, we'll do it my way!
Old 07-13-2001, 12:55 PM

I decided that if i'm gonna do the swap i'll do it in 3 days, I going with painless wiring guys...money is just paper afterall (not really!!!) but i'll keep the vats, I found a dude who will sell me the harness for 250$us

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:01 PM

Sorry guys., I have been way out of the loop. This swap is starting to kick! I only make a small number of errors., but they were critical. All the stuff I have been reading centered on swapping a 305. I was under the impression that I needed to buy a single motor mount for the passenger side of the vehicle. Which I did! The motor mount on the right side is also incorrect…. We didn't even try it…. We did other little things…. TexasLT1 if you know the correct mounts I need please hollow!

TexasLT1., Concerning the compressor…. Still not sure where and if I can help…. What I can do if you need is get some very fine engineers to help…if you want that….

Mat89RS., I almost did the same thing (may still do it) ….This wiring is such a pain….But I think I will continue until I just can't do more…. Money is not just paper! Fellow down the street has a THANG. 502 HP. 120 MPH @10.8….. It's a 94 and he has been work on it since it was new.

I have some Hedman Headers., part number 68481. I hope they fit. With my luck., they won't.

Most important….I am all in for documenting as much of this work as we can. I would not wish the pain I experienced today on anyone…… UnderDogRS….Welcome to the TEAM…….We are going to do it like English 101…..My 3 Y/O will be able to read this stuff and understand!……….

Hang folks…enjoy (most importantly---if you aren't having fun--why do it?)

Sorry it took so long to let you guys know my status….

Ron

*****sorry about the long post...
Old 07-16-2001, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

hey multi, dont worry about my a/c, I think we got it covered now, thanks anyway. as far as the mount, use the ones from the original motor. the drivers side bolts right up, you just have to move it to the rear holes. the passenger side, to keep the new a/c compr. you have to basically cut off the the whole front side of the mount, I'll try and get you a picture but no promises, if I cant, I might be able to get a drawing or something. let me know what you need and we'll see how it works. trying to describe it is just a little to tricky
Old 07-17-2001, 04:27 PM

HEY GUYS,I'm worried about blowing my rear-end into tiny tiny little pieces. lt1 is too strong for my rear-end , I got 2.73 gears with 265s60r15 tires into a non-posi lock-up rear-end.

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-17-2001, 04:53 PM

Whoosh! Mat89RS that was the sound of your last comment as it went zooming past me.

m-t

[This message has been edited by multi-tasking (edited July 17, 2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

matt, dont worry about the rearend right now. Im pushing nearly 300 hp and my 10 bolt open diff with 3.08 gears has held everybit of it, including street racing and autocross. of course, I am now in the process of getting a 4th gen rear, but only for posi and disk brakes, not really for strength. your 10 bolt will hold quite a bit
Old 07-18-2001, 07:52 PM

My hands are shaking as I contemplate this question. My wallet is burning and business people all over America are very happy. But Mat89RS already has a V8., I have a V6! What do I need to buy now to ensure this does not happen.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mat89RS:
rear-end [Explodes] into tiny tiny little pieces.
</font>

m-t
Old 07-18-2001, 10:51 PM

Your rear-end is better than mine multi, since you have a v6 you have 3,42 as a gear ratio in your differencial, my car has 2,73.

my car accelerate not that fast, but when I'm at 60mph it takes 6-10 sec to get to 130mph.(just example, I don't know the actual time/speed)

If I had 3.42 my acceleration would be better and there's less chance for me of blowing a rear-endbut myself I'm thinking about a nice set of 3.73 or 4.10.

Anyway, the thing is TEXASLT1 I need something that will support 500hp-600hp. I will do some serious mods on that little LT1

I'm getting :

roller rocker 1.6
airfoild
58mm trottle body
30 lbs injectors
posi differencial with 3.73 or 4.10
headman shorty headers
lt4 hot cam kit
paxton supercharger sn92 with 7-8 pound of boost
ported miniram plenum
k&N air filter
aluminium drive shaft

that's why I want a fatass rear-end I want to hit 10s high. people are telling 12 bolt is required but I'm try to find a good 10 bolt.

------------------
LT1 IS COMMING SOON.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:47 PM

Mat89RS:

two things - the most important one first.

I got my headers. Hedman part number 68481. I have looked and I have looked and I have played around. I do not think these will fit my car. The most signicant problem being that the air tube on the passenger is not long enough. The next problem is the y-pipe is not a y-pipe but an extension that you add to your y-pipe. The last problem ( that I decided to look at) is that the tranny level checker thing must sit right in the middle of the passenger side header...

Problem two: It is taking forever and a day to pull up this page... I think you need to start a "Swaping LT1 1993" page 2.

v/r
Ron

Old 07-23-2001, 11:52 AM

TexasLT1 You should write a book.

------------------
91 z-28 305 700R4
3.73 gears out back
T-Tops and Black all over.
Old 07-23-2001, 02:43 PM

how did you guys do the fuel lines and throttle
linkage?? i have a 94' lt1, i got the lokar linkage kit. but i cant figure out how to run fuel lines?

tia,
RS

------------------
<A HREF="http://ca.geocities.com/zander0710/" TARGET=_blank>
1992 Camaro RS</A>
****In The Work****
94' Z28 Drivetrain(LT1,4L60E,PCM,3.42 posi w/ disk), Walbro 255P fuel pump
!A/C,!cat, !A.I.R, Full Hooker exhaust,Custom program(Rev.b based)
Old 07-23-2001, 04:56 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UnderDogRS:
how did you guys do the fuel lines and throttle
linkage?? i have a 94' lt1, i got the lokar linkage kit. but i cant figure out how to run fuel lines?

tia,
RS

</font>
UnderDogRS, Mat89RS started a new post: its Swaping LT1 1993 Second Part. TexasLT1 posted information concerning fuel lines.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Can't you just find the resistance the VATS is looking for...(in your case you know its 512 OHMS or whatever) and just solder a resistor on thier like a third gen? If so, vats is gonna be easy as cake for me if not.....
Old 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Would love to know if this is the case.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:52 PM

it easier to go by the book, there's a total of 12 or 15 possible values. check the 93 shop manual
Old 01-06-2004, 08:15 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Lt1 (383 project)
Transmission: 700R4
I sent my ecm to a shop that deleted the VATS system, an modified whatever i wanted to be modified.. or deleted...

didn't cost much either.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:28 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Lt1 (383 project)
Transmission: 700R4
LT1 swaps :)

jeez, you two back and forth ,im trying to keep up with what you guys are talking about --- hint me in on what wiring you are talking about, in dash? for what purposes? "Devices" etc :P ... Is there any splicing you guys are doing from your NEW harness to any harness' in your thirdgen at all ? Thanks..

Dave
Old 08-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi
This seemed like a good place to ask this, if I can get the whole car (a 94-96 Z-28) do I still need to get the wiring harness from Jegs or whatever? I can get the entire car delivered to my dad's shop for the same price as just pulling the motor and transmission (6-speed). Oh, my car is currently a 700R-4, so this one will take a while to change.

Another question, what about putting an LT-4 cam in the motor as a gp through it and change or reburn the computer?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM

Car: www.hrfbody.com
Engine: www.hrfbody.com
Originally posted by Graeme'sFirebird
93-94 are speed density, 95 they went back to MAF

------------------
1989 Firebird
2.8 v6, t5 swapped in

Ram Hi-po clutch, Cold Air, 1.6 rockers (ready to install), Lakewood LCA's, Lakewood Lift bars, 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, 3" I-pipe, Flowmasters, MSd 6a, MSD Coil (Fireball in future) Accel 8.8 wires, MSD Ignition Module, 4th Gen Seats (not front yet)

" I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT run at all ".
Correction 94 is Maf, I own a 94 Trans Am.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Car: 89 Formula L98 power
Engine: '96 subaru, opposed 4banger
Transmission: TH700R4, subaru 4WD
Axle/Gears: 3.27, just works
I know this is an old post, but could someone tell me what the five prong 5 wire connector, what wires do what on a 93 trans, vs. the 4 prong 3 wire L98 700r4?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Car: 1981 CJ7
Engine: 1993 LT1 out of Formula
Transmission: 400
Axle/Gears: D35 front AMC 20 rear 4.56:1
I could really use some help with a swap I am currently doing. I trying to start an LT1 I dropped into a CJ7 but I am not getting the job done. I could really use the diagram that is mentioned in this forum. I want to make sure the distributor is receiving power where it should before I buy a new distributor. From what I hear this part is very sensitive to moisture and extended periods of inactivity (over a year in my case).
Help if you have the means.
TexasLT1 if you have diagram I am only 20 miles away.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Speed Den. or MAF

If you check out the Inside Line: Home. and in the search type 1994 Z28 Camero you will find out that in 1994 it was a MAF.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:56 AM

mat89rs hope you got the message. i'm new here to this forum and will be asking alot of questions myself as i have been a ford man for many years. I still own a very rare 94 Ford Mustang GT R Code Steeda. good luck Jamie55
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by mat89RS
I'm looking to get rid of the old bastard 305 in my 89 RS(stock), i want to replace it with a 93 LT1 with aluminium heads from a camaro z28(stock). I'll get wiring harness, ECM, all sensor including MAF, transmission(Automatic), everything. I want to know if the 93 Engine & Tranny will fit my thirdgen without ANY problem ??? If there's problem what do I need

thanks
mat89Rs I hope you got my message on ur question about Speed Den or MAF. I am new here to this forum and to the world of Chevy's. I got a great deal on a 1994 Z28 just this last weekend so I will be asking alot of questions about how to squeez more out of my Lt1 on the cheep for now. I was a die hard ford fan all my life. I still own a very rare 1994 Ford Mustang GT R Code Steeda Edition. Fast but I have always loved them F Bodys. Jamie55

Quick Reply: Swaping LT1 1993