Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 iroc Arctic White w/gold ss stri
Engine: Turbo'd 5.3 in process
Transmission: T-56 w/SPEC stage 3+ clutch
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser w/3.25's
Re: 5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.

Lots to post from the last week. Things are moving in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

Originally Posted by Speedfreak391
I was also looking at how the truck manifolds are angled, I think the passenger side might be an issue. any input would be helpful.
The truck manifolds won't fit in the engine bay of a 3rd gen. I found that out the hard way. The flanges will hit the framerails in the bay. I saw that you got headers....good choice! Hopefully they work out for ya.

Can't wait to see some more progress pics. Your build is similiar to mine except for the turbo size. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with the power it makes!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Ok, so progress has happened. The motor and trans are in the car. got the headers and they fit sweet! OK well they might be a little close to the brakes, but nothing that a heat shield and header wrap won't cure. I might just have to move the proportioning valve a little bit but nothing to crazy. I will have to pull the motor out again to drill out the oil pan for the return line from the turbo. Has anyone thought about running the return line to where the feed line comes from? I saw a doorman part the would work that is for a oil cooler. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.-20120318_185618.jpg   5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.-20120318_185630.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I had my turbo on the master and with good sheilding, never had a problem with heat. For insurance, I ran high temp racing fluid in there just to make sure.

will have to pull the motor out again to drill out the oil pan for the return line from the turbo. Has anyone thought about running the return line to where the feed line comes from? I saw a doorman part the would work that is for a oil cooler. Just a thought.
Were you pulling the feed from? Feed is pressurized, not sure I understand your plan. Drain has to be gravity feed to a non pressured place like valve cover, or pan. Cant bring it back to a feed hole.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 PM

Well the motor is back out and sitting on a cart in the shop. I am waiting on the ps pump and bracket to get here. Won't be here until a week from monday at the earliest. So I wait on that stuff. But no time like the present to put my fuel system together, and I do have some brake work to do. That would be a C5 front conversion, and figuring out how to put the ls1 rear disks on the 9" that has drums on it now. I don't think it will be all that difficult, just need to make up some brackets. I also need to pull the oil pan off for the turbo return, drilling and tapping there eh. No biggie, I guess I was just kind of in a hurry to get the motor in the car. Also on the fuel system, I don't really like where the FPR is sitting on the front of the fuel rail. It's not the FPR that is the problem, but it is the pressure sensor that stick of the end. It might have to just stay where it is. I will just have to check for hood clearance, before I make any changes. So I still have a long way to go, but its getting closer all the time. Oh yeah, I also have a ton of wiring to do. YEAH!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 AM

The motor is back in! just an update, I had to go with the CTS-V alternator, and I had to make my own power steering relocation bracket. The one I ordered is for the f-body accessories and is way to thick for my corvette/cts-v accessories. Now I am waiting on the idler pulley, then I can get a belt on there. I should have all of the tubing by the end of the week so I can get moving on the hot side of the turbo. I have my front brakes on just waiting for the braided front lines.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Ok, so I haven't posted on here in a while but I thought that some of you might want to see some of the progress that I have made. So here goes.
So far I have the motor trans and the rear end in the car. I have spent the last 3 months building and fitting all of these turbo system goodies in the car. At this point I have the hot side complete and now I am working on mounting the intercooler and building the cold side of the system. I do have a couple of questions about this, but I think I may have just figured it out. But I still have a few questions.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.-wg-.jpg   5.3 with a Magnum T-70 build.-puzzle.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Ok, so today I got the inter cooler as plumed as far as I can. I need one more 90 to finish from the IC to the TB. Then its all good to go. Then once I get everything plumed I will take everything back off, and wrap the complete hot side to the exit of the engine bay. Once I have the hot side off I will wire everything up and HOPEFULLY I will have a running car. Oh, yeah! I should really start thinking about coolant hoses. And I need a place to mount my meth kit.
I may be pulling the motor out in the near future, since I did order the LS9 cam and the other stuff to go with it. So, that should get done while the hot side is off also. I will also be putting the 4th gen motor mounts with poly bushing at the same time. And, Im sure this wont be the last thing that I have to do, but I still need to get a drive shaft made for it.
One step forward, 2 steps back.
I will post some pic.s tomorrow. We all love pic.s!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Well, it been about a year since I posted up in here. I took a couple different directions since then. The car isn't done yet but it's close.
Since the last time I posted I have had the hot side ceramic coated inside and out in black. The wiring isn't my favorite thing to do, but I got it done and the car now runs. I haven't driven it yet but I am getting there really fast. I have to get my sfc's welded up in the next couple of weeks. I have done everything on the car myself without hardly any outside help. I need to get to work on installing my guage pillar and route that wiring and a boost line. Take a look at this forum for all current updates.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...0-in-a-87-IROC

PS. I haven't been able to post any pic.s at all on this forum, so I have been posting on the mifbody forum.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z | '99 SS
Engine: LB9 | LS1
Transmission: 700R4 | T56

Cool build!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM

Well, I have been making changes to this build as the build goes. It was my goal to have this car done 2 years ago but a lot of stuff has gotten in the way. Mostly -time. But I have been back in the same state as the car for a couple of months now and have been working on it a lot lately.
First of all I was going to be using a stock pcm but I have changed that to a MS3 Gold box with their harness. The main reason was the routing that I did with the stock harness. Plus I had an AEM peak and hold injector driver for the low Z injectors that I was using. Next up was the injectors. I swapped them out for some Siemmens Deka 80's.
I have been doing a lot of reading and head a lot about the trunion upgrades. So I got the BTR trunion kit and installed also.
Now, I have High temp wire loom coming any day now so I can get everything wrapped up and protected from all of the under hood heat that will be generated from the up and forward headers, down pipe and the turbo. Everything is ceramic coated but I just want to be safer than sorry, and I have a lot of wiring under the hood of this car that runs right next to, or really close to the exhaust pieces.
Next up, I put the MS3 Gold box in the interior, I was going to run the stock PCM in the engine bay and keep it up front behind the passenger side head light. Now I have run the harness through the firewall and I have power to the Gold box, and the fuel pumps.
On the todo list is get my coils remounted to the firewall, completely wrap all spark plug wires with the MSD high temp insulators and boot protectors (so the headers don't burn them up) And then start the car!
Then I will be installing the Ground Control Weight Jacks, UMI caster camber plates, and UMI A-arms. Then I get to move to the rear of the car and make my own abuttment brackets for the rear disk brake on the 9" Moser rear.
I am going to make a cover for the shifter hole in the floor since I had to make the hole bigger for the T-56 to fit.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Vert
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 spd

Great build , just wondering if you had any updates ??
Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Back from the dead. Well I have made some changes to the setup and it's still not finished yet. TIME, TIME, TIME... So I pulled the up and forward headers out and the merge and ordered a set of the hooker manifolds with the rear cross over and the outlet for the charge tube is right below the ls1 water pump outlet. I have also got a different turbo for this car. I had a Magnum 70mm, But have changed up to a Garrett GT4094R. With the T56 I think this will be a lot quicker to spool. I am not looking to make huge power but I do want this car to build boost really fast for street and road course use. I also found that with the Hooker setup you kinda have to have a different motor mount setup. S that gave me the excuse to buy a UMI Road Race K-member to attach my A-arms to and have a nice tight package. I have also got the rear disks on the car, I started to replace the front brake lines since the old ones were really crappy and had been smashed a few times, but didn't leak. I now have to build the pipe from the manifold to the turbo but I am looking at different placement of the turbo itself. I would like to put in the fender out of sight but in the fresh air.