LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS/LT Gauge Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
LS/LT Gauge Pics!

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I have come by here but I am finally getting around to finishing up my LS swap project.
I have been stalled when it comes to going with gauges for the instruments. I picked up an Autometer gauge but I don't want to hack up the bucket too much to make it fit.
I know there are several aftermarket options, ranging from $450-$1300! I wanted to see what some of you guys and gals did that really works for you and what tips would you recommend not only myself but future LS/LT project builds!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1-ish
Transmission: T56 stage II
Axle/Gears: S60 4:10's
Re: LS/LT Gauge Pics!

I know your dilemma, I was in the same situation last winter. I was going to make a custom gauge cluster with Speedhut gauges and either a Covan panel or a custom piece, but felt like it wouldn't look right for me. The ready to go Dakota Digital VHX cluster is a nice piece and I know some people on here are using it, but that's pricey. I don't have any pics to show because I ended up using all factory gauges for my build. It looks completely stock and I'm loving every minute of it. Only additional gauge I have is a Wideband in a single gauge pod. I have a T56 though and I sent my tailshaft away to be modified for the mechanical speedometer. I didn't want to use a converter box, but that is also an option. For the Coolant Temp Gauge, I bought the 3 wire '98 Coolant Temp Sender which has one wire that feeds directly to the gauge. Every other gauge works just fine without modification, and I believe it should be the same for your '87. It all cost me right around $400 for everything.

Check this out, this is a great write up. I think he Five7 also has a write up on the Dakota Digital...
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ent-panel.html

Last edited by coptzer; 10-22-2014 at 07:17 PM.