LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

seriously considering going carbed LT1

Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 Trans am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi
seriously considering going carbed LT1

So i have the LT1 hooked up to my transmission and down in the car. Now im starting to second guess how i want to do this car after reading into it. I originally was going to wire up the fuel injection and run full fuel injection, but seeing as this my 86 is a carbed car there seems like there is going to be a decent amount of work and money to get this thing running fuel injection. Plus im not sure i want to do the wiring myself and it will cost a small fortune to get a stand alone harness. On top of that it will probably need new injectors, an optispark, pcm program, fuel system swap or modification and who knows what else. So ive been looking into maybe doing the GMPP carb LT1 intake and just running carbed since the car is set up for carb anyways. I know i will need to add timing system to the engine and saw summit has a block of plate for the optispark that also adds the timing tab. But what about the balancer, are there any LT1 specific ones that add the timing marks, and if so does it just bolt on to the hub at the end of the crankshaft. I know the hub isnt keyed so if i had to change the hub to a keyed how would i make sure that the length is right since i am running caprice accessories. Ive also thought about just going back to gen 1 sbc but ill be losing the aluminum heads and the power of the LT1 seeing as the lt1 has cc503 cam and chevy 1.6 full roller rockers. anyones input would be appreciated
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: seriously considering going carbed LT1

Love mine. Makes power up to 6500 rpm. No need for timing marks. Time by ear . I did put an indicator on my distributor so I could see how far I'm moving it when advancing or retarding it.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM

im not sure i could do it by ear although i would love to save the money by not having to switch hubs and balancer. if i went with the opti block off plate would i still be able to use the gear driven water pump or would it block that. Im seriously thinking about going carbed LT1 since my LT1 is already built but i really dont want to deal with converting the car to fuel injection
Old 08-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Should still be able to use the pump. What carb do you plan on running?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:45 PM

I haven't seen a sbc hub in different lengths. I think they are the same.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 PM

im looking at a edelbrock 1406 carb. im talking about the piece that slides on the crankshaft that the pully bolts to, are they different lengths or are the accessories different depending on car. cause i remember seeing you have to keep caprice with caprice, f body with fbody etc cause the belt wouldnt line up
Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Ya you do but I didn't think that was the reason. I may be wrong on that though. Its been almost 15 years since I did my swap hah.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:17 PM

You decide on what timing system your gonna use?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 PM

thats one of the things im trying to figure out. I want to have the timing marks to go along with the distributor to time it like a standard small block, and am considering going with the gm block off plate that has the pointer then going with this hub http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80030
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM

I used a msd distributor with mechanical curve that I welded open, the msd 6al and the electronic curve box. I think it is all in one now and have a programmable curve option too. I plugged the hole for the opti and put the distibutor in the normal sbc spot. Was no need for the hub then. If you go that route I would go with a holley so you can have more control over jetting.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM

i was thinking of going with a vaccum advance distributor, something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850001r

i still need a crank hub to run the accessories and im concerned that if the hub i showed doesnt bolt up to the piece on the end of the crankshaft right my belt wont line up
Old 08-09-2015, 11:04 AM

I would bet it lines up. LT's are all over the yards you could probably pick up the accessory drives cheap.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:52 PM

i found a keyed hub on summit that specifies that it is for the 94+ impala caprice with lt1 so that should be the same length as what i have now
Old 08-03-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Positrac

Carbed LT1s are pwn dude, I say go for it!

But don't run a 1406, that's a p.o.s.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM

I am wanting to do a modern LT swap. Something 2010 or newer. If the Wiring harness, ECU comes with the motor, how do you tie it into the existing systems? Speedo, Tach, Temps, AC controls, etc? Are there adaptors or do you have to wire individually each thing on the third gen into the new harness?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

It is more work to get the FI in place but you will enjoy it long term. If you are worried about the opti-spark you could eliminate it with a Torqhead kit (https://www.torqhead.com/why-24xlink-components.html) and then you'd have the option of LS tuneability.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by Dragster Racer
I am wanting to do a modern LT swap. Something 2010 or newer. If the Wiring harness, ECU comes with the motor, how do you tie it into the existing systems? Speedo, Tach, Temps, AC controls, etc? Are there adaptors or do you have to wire individually each thing on the third gen into the new harness?
you need a custom stand alone harness for the new lt1(you mean the most recent one im assuming) then you will need to talk to someone like hawks third gens,detroit speed or similar to see what else you need to do for the lights ,guages and everything else.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0

The new model LT is only a few years old, 2016 or so. I'm not sure how much swap parts are available right now so that will be a big issue. Wiring will be THE biggest pain with 2-3 decades of technology difference. A stand alone ecu with a digital dash (racepak, holley, etc.) would be the best way to display engine vitals. If you're comfortable fabing and re-wiring a car, then go for it. Otherwise might be best to wait for swap specific parts to come out.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by RS Chris
The new model LT is only a few years old, 2016 or so. I'm not sure how much swap parts are available right now so that will be a big issue. Wiring will be THE biggest pain with 2-3 decades of technology difference. A stand alone ecu with a digital dash (racepak, holley, etc.) would be the best way to display engine vitals. If you're comfortable fabing and re-wiring a car, then go for it. Otherwise might be best to wait for swap specific parts to come out.
If i got the wiring harness and ecu with the motor and connected it to a digital dash does this eliminate the existing electronics altogether or are there still connections to the existing system that would have to be made?
Old 11-24-2019, 04:45 PM

its a long arduous process that is never cheap and definitely not done in a weekend or two.when you need to chase down individual(expensive and rare) items to piece together a modern drive-train into an older car it gets expensive and time consuming.check threads that have done similar swaps and glean information for your own use.
ideally IMO the best thing to do is to buy a wrecked 1998 and newer z28/trans am/formula and transfer everything over(this way the drive train is usually not blown up OR DAMAGED because the car was scrapped because of a wreck and not because of mechanical/electrical issues).the entire dashboard,console and gauges,wiring and ecu,transmission,rear end etc can be used in a third gen with some creativity as well.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by midge54
So i have the LT1 hooked up to my transmission and down in the car. Now im starting to second guess how i want to do this car after reading into it. I originally was going to wire up the fuel injection and run full fuel injection, but seeing as this my 86 is a carbed car there seems like there is going to be a decent amount of work and money to get this thing running fuel injection. Plus im not sure i want to do the wiring myself and it will cost a small fortune to get a stand alone harness. On top of that it will probably need new injectors, an optispark, pcm program, fuel system swap or modification and who knows what else. So ive been looking into maybe doing the GMPP carb LT1 intake and just running carbed since the car is set up for carb anyways. I know i will need to add timing system to the engine and saw summit has a block of plate for the optispark that also adds the timing tab. But what about the balancer, are there any LT1 specific ones that add the timing marks, and if so does it just bolt on to the hub at the end of the crankshaft. I know the hub isnt keyed so if i had to change the hub to a keyed how would i make sure that the length is right since i am running caprice accessories. Ive also thought about just going back to gen 1 sbc but ill be losing the aluminum heads and the power of the LT1 seeing as the lt1 has cc503 cam and chevy 1.6 full roller rockers. anyones input would be appreciated

Hey I realize this thread is a few years old but I'm actually doing this swap now I'm swapping my 3.1 liter V6 out of my 3rd gen for a 95 LT1 out of an f-body and I'm converting it over to carburetor so I don't have to fool with the computer.I have the optispark block off and distributor on its way I have the new intake and a Holley 750 CFM with the vacuum secondary as a car but I'm wondering if you ever finish this build and do you have any tips tricks or pointers for me this is my first engine swap
Old 12-27-2019, 04:14 PM

#1 PRE LUBE the engine before starting it for the first time when you have it together.

cleanliness and organization are absolutely necessary.
dry fit everything to deal with issues before its together and take pictures,make notes.
use good gaskets,make sure all threads are clean and use sealer on the ones required.
torque in steps using the right pattern and never over torque.
check all clearances of your crank,rods,rings etc and make more notes.
the best machine shops make mistakes so better to check while its easy.
if you are using an old style vacuum secondary hei make sure you use a melonized gear with the roller cam in the LT1,
also consider bumping up the cam size while its all out and accessible.(lt4 hot cam or better)

a cam change is SUPER easy now and can be worth 50+ horsepower ,its a pita later .
this isnt an opinion,a cam change while on the stand is cake but in car is a massive pain in the a$$

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 12-27-2019 at 04:18 PM.