LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Lt1 swap, burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS
Lt1 swap, burning oil

I recently put a 93 LT1 into my 92 Z28. When I assembled everything I used the 95 caprice style oil pressure sender and put it on the rear china wall and plugged the lower port for better access. The Oil pressure gauge in the stock 92z cluster is reading max at all times. The oil is at the correct level, and I didn't really mess with the oil pump, just inspected and cleaned it up a little. It seems to be running great and with only very minor issues that a tuneup would fix. The problem is that it's burning a little oil, mostly during startup(even when warm) and during hard acceleration.

My question is this: Does the stock 92 cluster read the correct signal from the 95 china wall op sender, and would changing it's location possibly introduce oil into the 93 style pcv system.

I just want to eliminate some simple stuff before replacing valve guides or even piston rings. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 2012 LS9
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 60 3.54:1
Re: Lt1 swap, burning oil

The sensor location has nothing to do with using oil unless you see it leaking on the ground from the sensor.

The location should not effect the pressure reading either.

As for smoke on start-up, this is usually the result of the valve seals, which when worn, allow a small amount of oil to drip into the chamber when the engine sits. Continuous smoke is typically the result of severe wear or worn rings etc.

As for the gauge reading, a full scale reading can be the result of a bad, gauge, sender, a broken wire or a bad connection. All of these typically can make the gauge read maximum value.

Grounding the sensor wire, should make it read zero if the gauge & wire are good. This is an easy way to check it.

Not sure if the Caprice sender is compatible. It likely is, but I cannot confirm. Why not use the factory Camaro sender... it screws right in the same location?