LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS Newbie question

Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
LS Newbie question

I've never worked with an LS engine other than minor repairs on trucks that come into the shop.

I was walking through the junkyard a few weeks ago and saw a complete 6.0L in a truck and began wondering what it would take to drop it into some other vehicle. So many LS engines seem to be dropped into just about everything now. Although dropping it into a third gen would be nice, I'd rather put it into something older.

I was thinking about an aftermarket fuel injection and ignition system. Based on that, what would be needed to be included with a junkyard engine pull. I would assume more that just a stripped engine. Would the OEM engine harness be required and stuff like that? How adaptable are other transmissions like TH400/350 etc? Does the LS block still use standard Chev bolt pattern?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:33 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: LS Newbie question

Get the complete engine with wiring, PCM, accessories, transmission - everything. And then sell what you don't want. In my experience you still want the engine harness even if you have aftermarket EFI. A fuse/relay center is handy too. You might end up cannibalizing the harness for things like AC wiring and transmission wiring that isn't present in the aftermarket EFI harnesses. And having a full set of spare connectors is worth it. Or you can sell the harness and PCM for $200 to put some cash back in your pocket.

Over the years the engines migrated from cable throttle body to drive-by-wire throttle body, and received variable timing. Probably easiest to shop the earlier Gen III truck engines rather than the Gen IV truck engines. Gen IV cylinder heads are great but you can buy those new for pretty reasonable price if you want a set.

The TH400 will bolt up to the engine but the LS transmissions have more bolts on the transmission flange. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem that the TH400 doesn't use all the intended bolt holes on the engine block. You'll need a kit to adapt the torque converter, or get a custom converter for use with the older trans.

Give the fuel system 58 psi nominal and the engine will run.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 10-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM

Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

So pretty well take everything that's somehow attached to the engine in one way or another. That could make the purchase a little higher but like you said, you can always sell off the extra stuff if it isn't required.

Might be even cheaper to buy a complete donor vehicle then scrap everything you don't take off of it. Buy something that was in an accident etc.

I've heard that the aluminum blocks are nice for the typical daily driver type of engine but if you want to use a power adders such as turbo(s), the iron truck blocks are stronger.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:22 PM
COTM Editor

Aluminum blocks tend to be the car engines (LS prefix) and iron blocks tend to be the truck engines (LQ prefix). There are a few exceptions where 1/2 ton trucks have aluminum blocks but probably nothing you want.

The aluminum LS car engines command money. You'll get better deals with the truck engines. You're basically looking for a GEN III engine of the LQ4 or LQ9 variety. The LQ9 is more desirable because it has flat top pistons so you can achieve better quench.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:10 PM
COTM Editor

This article might be of use to you,

http://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/e...ags-to-riches/
Old 10-22-2016, 09:41 PM