LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Newb-doable thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Newb-doable thing?

In my hunt for a running V8 third-gen, and thinking about my goal of 500 HP, and my 2 candidates both having TPI 305s with automatics, I'm wondering about buying an engine-less shell for $500, then spending the rest of my $2500 budget on a crashed LS1 4th-gen.
Assuming I could manage that much, and I have done SBC Camaro engine replacements before (SBC to SBC) does it seem possible I could make this move under its own power for less than another $500 extra in swap parts?
Or is this not the best idea for 500 HP on my budget and skill set?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: Newb-doable thing?

Skill set is something that time and research can help with. However, you won't be making that swap for $500. There are a million little things that all add up. 500hp is a very achievable goal with the LS platform, but not in stock trim and certainly not with a small budget. I would really think about your goals and set a realistic budget. Your budget will determine how much power you will end up with and how easy the swap will be. Make sure you start reading the stickies as well as reading various LS swap threads. You will start to see the big picture on what it takes for an engine transplant. Don't be afraid to start small. A running 300hp 5.3 swap is a hundred times more fun than a "theoretical" 500 hp build that never hits the streets. It is best that you read as much as you can now. It's free, will guide you to a plan, and is a must before any swap. You've come to the right place. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

Yea you going to need more of a budget the little things add up yea running a 5.3 would be cheaper ,let's just say you get a donation for your price exhaust alone will eat up that budget plus wiring and mounts and this and that

But search and you find cheap good deals if you search and do about more research on swap before spending
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1

I didn't really expect to reach 500 HP for that budget, but if I could get a crashed donor car within budget, it should include most of an exhaust system, most of a fuel system, maybe a useful radiator, the necessary intake, the right oilpan, and more.
It seems most of the extra would go to swap mounts, getting the exhaust to clear the different floorpan, and finishing a cooling system. Maybe an inline electric fuel pump?
Is this really better than just nitrous or turbo on a running TPI 305?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

You need a custom y pipe and if you run cats or not more fab
Different floorplan ???

You really need to search on lsx swap
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by Jeremy85
I'm wondering about buying an engine-less shell for $500,
That is a horrible idea for anybody except someone who is familiar with thirdgens or a well seasoned car guy who can do wiring. Every shell that I have ever looked at has had wiring issues that needed tended to, if they even had complete and usable wiring to begin with. If you have a limited skill set or you don't have a second car or a garage to store the car in for a month while you are doing the swap your best bet is to purchase an already swapped over thirdgen. $5K will usually buy you a drivable, legal-in-that-state, solid and decent looking thirdgen.