LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Just making sure my information is correct.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 Vortec
Transmission: 700r4
Just making sure my information is correct.

OK so I will be doing a LS swap as soon as I can find what I want. I have read for hours on this and there is a lot of information that isn't perfectly clear or confusing. So here's my questions I want a 6.0 LQ4 block. From what I have read the early model 6.0s used a different crank and won't work.so I need a 2001-2004. Would 2005 work?

Also once I get my motor the LS1 stuff bolts up to it expect the alternator and you have to drill out and tap 1 hole is this correct?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: Just making sure my information is correct.

The first year of the LQ4 had the longer crank hub. 2005 would be fine. Also, you are correct on the accessories as well.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM

What's a good harness company? I was going to use pocket but I can't get him to return a message. Don't think he's on much anymore.

I'm having the engine rebuilt. Since it will be apart anyway I was going to put rods and pistons from a LQ9 in it. Those are the same motor besides that correct? And anyone have any experience with what cams do good with these motors. I have been reading a lot on them but would like to talk to someone who has done one
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: LG4 305/4bbl for now
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

I have a 6.0L with trickflow heads, big cam, wiring harness and computer for sale in Mobile Alabama. lacking exhaust, intake and oil pan.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Dodgeman79
What's a good harness company? I was going to use pocket but I can't get him to return a message. Don't think he's on much anymore.

I'm having the engine rebuilt. Since it will be apart anyway I was going to put rods and pistons from a LQ9 in it. Those are the same motor besides that correct? And anyone have any experience with what cams do good with these motors. I have been reading a lot on them but would like to talk to someone who has done one

The LQ9 did indeed have different rods and pistons however, if your LQ4 is from 2005 it should have the same rods (Gen IV). If it is a good running core, there isn't really any need to change pistons, no less with another OEM one. Milling the heads to bump the compression is cheaper than installing new pistons to give you some of that compression back.

Asking about camshafts is sorta asking what is the meaning of life. There are a bazillion variables. Your best bet is to read up on LS1tech.com, paying attention to the dyno and results section, to see what type of combo's yield which type of results.

Things that need to be answered before selecting a cam:

Power goals
Static Compression Ratio
What heads, flow, quench, etc
What RPM band do you drive in
Vehicle weight
Auto or Manual Trans
Other mods on engine (headers, intake, etc)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM

You are right I should have been more clear with that.

I have been around old 350s but know nothing about these LS motors so I'm having to learn everything.

I'm wanting 400hP. Not going to be a drag car just a fun daily driver that me my wife and kids can just go cruiz in but I want to be able to have some fun with it.

Things that will for sure happen will be the flat top pistons instead of the dish pistons that came in the LQ4s except 2005 from what you say and that would be great! Hawks long tube headers and for heads I'm not sure yet. I keep reading of some factory heads that do pretty good. The stock heads. 317 if I remember right seem like a good head but I don't think I will get the HP I'm wanting with those.

I'm on page 17 on the engine build section of this site so I'm learning slowly lol.

What I know now is I want a 6.0 iron block and have to get a 99-2002 LS1 wiring harness and PCM. Use a LS1 oil pan splash pan and sump. I have a 4th Gen fuel tank so I will use the factory pump for fuel.

I'm really wanting to find a 6.0 with high Mikes and rebuild it. The last motor I had I was told was rebuilt and saw the rebuild sheet but right after installing it broke a rod and destroyed the block. The builder I took it to said a bunch of the rods were bent so apparently the guy that rebuilt it didn't know what he was doing or was trying to save money and use bad rods. So that's why I want to rebuild it so I know 100% it's good and I can see the work.

Last edited by Dodgeman79; 01-10-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: I was stupid and hit the wrong button
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Dodgeman79

Things that will for sure happen will be the flat top pistons instead of the dish pistons that came in the LQ4s except 2005 from what you say and that would be great! Hawks long tube headers and for heads I'm not sure yet. I keep reading of some factory heads that do pretty good. The stock heads. 317 if I remember right seem like a good head but I don't think I will get the HP I'm wanting with those.
The 2005 LQ4 should have the better Gen IV rods (same as LQ9) but not the same pistons. They will still be the dished version. For your goals there is no need to install flat tops when you are already going to touch the heads. You can mill the heads and set them up to help bump the compression. Your power goals are very mild and can be done quit easily. No need to swap heads really, seeing how the worst GM LS head was magnitudes better than the best stock small block head. Compression goes a long way and a rebuilt set of the stock 317 heads with smaller chambers is the route I would go. Installing different pistons is very expensive for what you need out of your combo. It would require machine work, balancing, etc etc. The build would only snowball from there. You could even opt for a set of 243 or 799 heads which are LS6 castings and smaller sized chambers. Will bolt right up to your motor and could be a more cost effective route. You will want to install a good set of valve springs set up for whatever cam you go with. I would start to contact site sponsored vendors and they can help you with your goals. You won't need much cam to hit your goals. In fact, there are OEM LS cams that can get you there (LS7, LS6) for your desired power levels. You'll likely end up with a cam in the 220/228 range with lifter under .600". You could even go smaller to meet your goals. Do you have a budget? 400 hp is an easy target and there are many ways to get you there.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM

The reason I'm not to worried about changing pistons is I was talking to the engine builder I want to use and he quoted 3k for a full rebuild of a 6.0 and he has to buy new pistons anyway so he said that wouldn't really change the cost any. The new rods would but he would just add that to the build. I know 400 isn't that much I would even be completely fine with 450. The reason I don't want high horsepower is I want it to be good and dependable.

On the budget. Yes and no. I wont spend 10k on a motor but I want this done completely right so if it takes a few extra weeks to afford what I need then that is what I will do. I'm not going to rush this project.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Supporter/Moderator

I would contact Phil at Advanced Inductions and send him your 317's. He can pair a cam with it and then you can give your cam to your shop to install and degree. Since you will be doing a total rebuild, make sure you don't skimp on the small things. New timing set, oil pump, etc etc.