LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: turbo 350
Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP

So after almost a year of working and saving i have my 5.3 mated up to a turbo 350 i decided to drop the fuel injected since most of the people around me know how to tune carburetors better than computers. i bought some racing innovation long tube headers that mounted pretty well besides the typical long tube problems. ive been having a few problems with wiring and everything since this is my first real engine swap. My one main problem is the starter so i hooked all the wires up from the original starter after taking all the unneeded wires out but i had to hook the pink wire up to the msd ignition box doesnt that wire also have to go to the starter? so after thinking about it a little i decided to splice the pink wire and make it go to the starter as well so. so on the big post of the starter i have the red positive wire and the orange wires on the small post i have the purple wire and the pink. is that right? i got the motor to turn over like this but the starter just stays on i am double questioning myself now about it so im not sure if thats right. If anyone has and information to help me out id be greatly appreciative.
Attached Thumbnails Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP-img_0259.jpg   Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP-img_0263.jpg   Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP-img_0257.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Carbureted 5.3 HELPPP

the pink wire ... doesnt that wire also have to go to the starter?
No... pink is ignition. (hot in Run and Start) The starter doesn't need ignition for anything.

is that right?
So, no.

"5.3", or any other engine size, doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Purple is the starter solenoid. (hot in Start only) Put the purple to the starter and the pink to the ignition.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes - a C100 diagram for your year model will help. The labeling is a little cryptic, though. For my 84, the red wire is labeled as the power distribution (ignition switch). The purple wire is labeled as the starting system (starter interlock).
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: turbo 350

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
No... pink is ignition. (hot in Run and Start) The starter doesn't need ignition for anything.

So, no.

"5.3", or any other engine size, doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Purple is the starter solenoid. (hot in Start only) Put the purple to the starter and the pink to the ignition.
ok thanks for the quick replies but the problem that i had was when the pink wire was not connected to the starter and i turned the key nothing happened so my only guess was the pink was supposed to go to the starter. so the pink i should do nothing with besides connect to from the main harness to the msd box? sorry im a noob im just trying to drive my car
Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42

You are probably having VATS issues. Or starter interlock. Or both. They are preventing the purple wire from energizing. Your car is a 91 in your sig ? Search VATS bypass.

Did you change the shifter when you put the TH350 in ? Did you reconnect the P/N starter interlock switch ? Was your car born an auto ?

The fat purple wire goes to the starter solenoid. It usually come out of B4 in C100 on most years. Hook it up to a test light and Bypass the VATS relay etc. until it lights up with key in start.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 PM

I could use a little help on decode C100 wires. I have a 1984 Trans Am. I know that the fat purple wire goes to the starter solenoid. Looking at the C100 diagram, there is a fat red wire from A4 that is power distribution (ignition switch). There is also a fat pink wire from F4 that is power distribution (computer command control, electronic fuel injection). Can someone clarify the red and pink wires? Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42

You should start your own thread for clarity. The C100 pinout can be significantly different year-year. You should look at the entire wiring diagram for your year to fully understand things. Specifically the power distribution pages.
The Engine Harness side of the C100 (as opposed the the lighting harness side) is the main way for power to get in/out of the dash/fusebox. There is usually 1-2 thick Red wires from the starter battery lug that go to the C100, Usually A4 and G5. These are power into the fusebox/ignition switch. Then there is a thick pink wire coming out that usually goes to the ignition coil.
Be careful with the colours. They fade over time and red can look pink etc. Consult the wiring diagram to be sure.

Last edited by 88Greg; 02-08-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Thanks. The C100 diagram can be a little vague, so that's why I'm asking. I'll start a new thread if I can't figure it out.