Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 z28 h.o./ 92 rs
Engine: 305 h/o /3.1 v6
Transmission: hybird turbo 350/t5 bog warner
Axle/Gears: non posi 3.73 / ls 3.42
Re: How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?

i fell in love with camaros back when my uncle bought one new in 84 i bought my first from my current girlfriend it a 84 z28 ho and is under construction.
here are a few pics
before
Name:  Picture014.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  115.6 KB
Name:  Picture015.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  116.3 KB
Name:  Picture032.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  93.9 KB
now
Name:  1246212107.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  5.6 KB
Name:  1246212109.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  6.4 KB

Last edited by THEBEAST84; 03-27-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Car: 84 z28 h.o./ 92 rs
Engine: 305 h/o /3.1 v6
Transmission: hybird turbo 350/t5 bog warner
Axle/Gears: non posi 3.73 / ls 3.42

my 2nd is my dd is a 92 rs with the all mighty v6 and a bw 5speed which was free running car !

before
Name:  P7030323.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  122.9 KB
Name:  P7030324.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  P7130343.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  140.7 KB
Name:  P7130344.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  133.2 KB

after
Name:  P7200354.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  122.1 KB
Name:  P7200349.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  115.2 KB
Name:  P8270368.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  116.8 KB
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Car: 84 Z28 / 99 S-10 ZR2 4X4
Engine: STOCK CARB'D 305 WITH 350 HEADS
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: STOCK

Well here goes....I bought my first car which was a 1986 Honda civic sedan...I had just got finished with the army and I was in college..again...well when I finished I decided to try the navy out. So being motivated I painted my car metallic blue and had a vinyl wrap of "US NAVY" accelerate your life and an anchor(if you are stationed in Norfolk va, you may have seen it) well in November 09 my original engine threw a rod(thank god in 08 after deployment I bought my 99 chevy zr2 s10..always have a backup). Well I had a rebuilt engine that I had bought in 06 for it. Well I drove down to Ga for Christmas with my truck and picked it up. Brought it back up here and put it in. Ran fine for a day and then started smoking really bad. Had a shop tear the engine down and omg...cyl 2 and 3 were scored and the rings were melted...I couldn't believe it!!! This car cost me $400 when I bought it, but because it had "navy" all over it I had to keep it looking nice for the pa office. Well the shop told me it would be $2000 or more to redo a short block assembly...well I found a 1984 z28 on craigslist for $1800 but talked him down to $1600. It was primer grey had no radio. It also had a 305 engine with 350 heads, and the original wheels. I took my blue neons and sound system out of my Honda and put in the z28. I had to bribe my father from telling mom(she grew up with her dad restoring and brothers racing and blowing engines up which by the way my papaw and uncles like the car) but she found out...me and my dad are bad liars...I primed it black, still got some bondo'n to do on the top but after that I'll be ready to paint. My old "navy car" is sitting on base with just the block and transmission in it. But I love the Z28. I think my truck's gettn jealous so I still take it out and off-roadin a bit. Haha!! take that curbs! I post pics soon. I was thinking though, I could seal the primer and put a punisher skull on the hood...I can't find louvres for it anyway. I just added a/c to the camaro too so my little one won't be hot this summer. Who knows, I might give it to him some day....
Old 03-27-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 bird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Axle/Gears: factory

always been a diehard firebird guy,ive had five 2nd gens,always liked the body and handling of the ws6 cars but was conflicted because of the corporate engine(i would never put a chevy in a pontiac),my buddy had a nice 87 ta we would cruise around and got me considering finding one. guy pulled out in front of him and totaled it,so he bought an 89 ta and drove it awhile,his buddy had an 87 formula 350 with a fresh motor and rebuilt tranny so he bought it.he offered me the 89 ta for a song so i took it.i love the way that car just huggs the curves,enough to make me ignore the corporate engine for now.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Car: 1982 trans am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 4 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08

im only 16 but, for as long as i can remeber i have been inlove with camaros, 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gens. My dad had a blue 1978 camaro that i always got driven to preschool in ( i was the coolest one there . he sold that and bought a 1967 camaro when i was 6. he had that car for a year, and then bought a 1980 berlinetta. we only had that for a couple of months. And this is where it really began for me, he bought a a red vert iroc z28 camaro. sadly he sold it a year later. his very next car was something me and him have been working on for a while it is a 1981 camaro. When i turned 15 i found a 1991 firebird 305, 5 speed, with only 120,000 miles and a mint interior only for 300 dollars! I had to have it, we took the trailer down and brought it home, it needs some work still, but so far ive replaced both fenders, the hood both doors, and the rear bumper cover. But its almost done and i cant wait to get it on the road. i can finnaly retire my 1993 chevy 2500 camper puller for the summer lol. oh and by the way, buying that car made me the coolest kid in scool again lol
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 AM

Car: 89 Iroc-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

When I was growing up as a kid, i heard stories of how my grandparents bought my mom a white 89 hardtop RS in high school, and her two brothers black IROCs t-tops. Well one day my father borrowed the car and my mother received a phone call from him telling her that the car was now a convertible, because he crashed into a tree and wrecked the car. Sadly the car was replaced with a fox body mustang, but my dad ended up giving the car to his sister. Anyways my mom always made fun of my dad for wrecking the car and reminds me constantly that it could have been my first car. I've seen pictures of the car as a kid and always wanted one. Then years went by and I forgot about the Camaro. (grade school age-middle school)

I'm not really sure what happened to my uncles iroc's. I heard that one was possibly stolen and the other iroc blew up near a train track.

While I was in high school (junior year), I was taking my SATs at another school. After the test I waited out front to get picked up. That's where I saw a group of 5 white fourth gens cruise down the street. My jaw dropped and from then on my interest in Camaros was reignited. I was obsessed with Camaros and wanted to get my hands on one but didn't have the money at the time so it was put on hold. During this time I thought about which generation to get either a third or fourth. One day my friend came over to my house driving a dark red with black stripes 89 350 RS convertible. Just by sitting in the passenger seat while my friend drove it, I knew I wanted a third gen.

During my freshmen year of college I finally had the money and searched for a camaro. Found a posting on craigslist for an Iroc for $2500 with no pics posted. I called the guy up and planned to see the car the next day. When I saw the car I was amazed. It was a black straight body, with decent paint excluding the replaced front bumper. The interior was in excellent shape with firebird power seats. (specs in sig.) Only bad thing was that I don't know how to drive stick and the car came with no stereo. Well I immediately purchased the car for $2,200. And sadly it currently sits in my driveway due to not having insurance. The car failed the smog test, but $140 made it pass. lol
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Car: '83 z28/'85 iroc
Engine: L69/LB9
Transmission: 700r4/700r4-b&m shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I first really got into camaros about 5 years ago when i was 14, my neighboor bought an '83 z28(which is mine now). I remember when he brought it home it was pretty much totalled since his neice rearended a truck with a trailer hitch. To make a long story short he ended up losing interest and stored it in his garage. A few years went by and i forgot all about that camaro till about last summer when he rolled it out in his front yard. At first he was asking $1000, but i talked him down to $500 cash and some landscape work. When i bought the car my neighbor warned me that he had no idea if the car even ran since he never started it since he bought it, but i didnt care cuz i finally had my own Z28. As soon as i got it home i put in a new battery and it started 2nd try, it ran pretty bad at first but after a few minutes it started to eventually smooth out. The night i brought it home i decided to clean out the inside since it smelt pretty bad. When i opened the hatch i found a folder full of receipts and even the orginal window sticker. After some research i found out that i had the L69 H.O. 305. Since then ive been restoring it at my garage or at the shop on the end of my road. Its almost ready for the road but i need to buy new headers and a ypipe, so for now its in my garage till I get enought $. Hopefully itll be before summer
Old 04-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Car: '91 RS, '72 Pro/Street Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, Blown 468ci w/NOS
Transmission: 5 Spd, 2 Spd Powerglide
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 4.88

I don't have any kind of story like yours,...but, I can tell you that I've had a passion for Camaros as long as I can remember. My dad bought a '67 RS/SS back when I was 4 months old. (Nov. 1966) I always loved that car. To this day, I've always said that I'll own a Black Pro/Street 67 RS/SS with a Blown 572 by the time I'm 50. That gives me another 6 years to find a good donor and the cut the sheet out of it. (Well, the sheet-metal anyway) Sorry, I'm not a purist and never will be. I'm a drag racer who loves to cut the back seats out of cars and stuff 18"-21.5" wide tires in their place.

Anywho, back to my passion for Camaros......this '91 I just picked up is my 13th Camaro to date. I've owned (3) 1967's, (1) 1972 (current), (2) 1973's, (1) 1979, (1) 1984, (1) 1987, (1) 1988, (2) 1991's, and (1) 1996. The third gen Camaros are definitely one of my favorite cars when it comes to daily drivers. They have to have both T-tops AND Air Conditioning though. To wrap this story up, I do plan on buying another '87-'89 IROC-Z as my DD, then I'll probably give this '91 to my youngest kid. Once I'm in the IROC I'll probably keep it until I die. Same goes for the Pro/Street '67 RS/SS.

THE END
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: Vortec 406sbc-carbed
Transmission: 700r4-vette servo/B&M shift kit.
Axle/Gears: Ready to splode

The day I was born my dad drove me home in his '82 Z28. It was our family car forever, even as a baby(that and an '88 fiero)and I still remember it. So third gens have always had huge sentimental value to me. I always loved the way they felt. Other cars Ive always had to get used to the way they ride and feel on the road. But the second I sat in a third gen, I knew exactly how to make it do anything I wanted. I was the only guy in middle school who could do real drifting(probly because I was the only one with a rwd V8 car besides the truck guys lol) and by the time I was a freshman in high school, only 1 other guy, who was a senior, could drift in his built 240sx. Third gens have always had th perfect balance to me, and tho they may not be the absolute perfect drag/drift/auto x/handling cars ever, they're damn good at all of the above and are very easily modified to be the best. And all at a price we can afford
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Car: 97 Cummins 92 CamaroZ28, 94 GSXR750
Engine: Modded 5.9 , carbed sbc358, modded
Transmission: Nv4500, 700R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: stock

Well my first car was a 79 nova and once I relized that it was to big of a project for me I decided to change vehicles. Once I saw the body lines and felt the power thats when I was hooked. Mustangs have always been to common of a vehicle to get and a camaro just looked better. I just wish I could have gotten one with t tops, I may do the whole top change later on, but that will be sometime from now. Shes def a money pit.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7 liter
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: limited slip 3.23

I can trace my love of Camaros back to when I was 8 years old. I have pictures that I took while at Disney World of a blue RS Camaro in the parking lot of the hotel me and my parents were staying at. No pictures of Mickey or Donald, just Camaros, lol. I got a 79 Z-28 4spd fixer upper when I was 15, 83 Z-28 5spd when I was 17, 70 SS 4spd when I was 19, 85 IROC when I was 20, and now currently own my 89 IROC at 30. Unfortunately I do not have the previous mentioned Camaros anymore but have pictures and alot of good memories from each and every one of those cars.

I would have to say that I'm not addicted to the car itself but the feeling and memories I get from driving one. I hope to pass this enthusiasm and enjoyment onto my kids so they can enjoy American muscle.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Car: 86 camaro berlinetta
Engine: 2.8, soon to be 3.4 w/ turbo plans
Transmission: 700r4(rebuilt in jan. '10
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23 open

this is my third camaro. it's an 86 berlinetta with 2.8. i've owned a 75, and an 02 trans am. i love these cars. my 75 was the first. it was a friends. he went to trade it in, and they would only give him 200 for it. i told him i'd give him 500 if it was in my driveway when i got off work. guess he wanted the money real bad. he was the second owner. the first was his mom. it only had 70k on the 350 when i got it. i was the first one to take the heads off. my trans am was the second. it was a blast, but the insurance was killing me so i had to find something cheaper to insure. i picked up my 86 berlinetta for 700 bucks. it was sitting in someones backyard for almost 5 years before they decided to sell it. i did manage to talk them down 500 from their asking price. the body had 140k on it, but the engine was just over 70k. i've put 200 into suspension, and 600 in a tranny rebuild and new torque converter. i love how she handles the mountains here in colorado, and can't wait to finish my turbo build on her. first, second, and third gens are so easy to work on. they all have soo much room under the hood. after owning and upgrading a 99 prelude, i much prefer the cost and ease of access that a camaro offer.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 360cu @ 10.5:1
Transmission: T56 - Pro 5.0
Axle/Gears: 4.10 - Zexel Torsen - Moser Axles

How did I get into my Camaro? The same way I get in all my cars - NASCAR style.

Seriously though, it all started back when my Uncle took me for a ride in his custom HotRod he built. It wasn't fast, but that wasn't the point. It was an open cabin, 30's style hotrod - white and green scheme. I absolutely loved it and really got into cars immediately after that. That ride I took was on July 4th, 2007 and exactly 1 week later, I was driving my new 1986 IROC-Z Camaro.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Car: 1982 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 350 4bbl
Transmission: Borg Warner Super T-10
Axle/Gears: Richmond 10 bolt 4:10 Posi

I got into third gens because of my cousin.I was about 10 and he originally had an 81 T/A 6.6 which I loved. Shortly after I got to ride in that car he told me he sold it. I was crushed. Then the next time I visited he opened the garage and there was a bright red 88 RS sitting in the garage. I immediatly wanted to go for a ride, the RS had a mildly cammed 350 and I couldnt have been happier cruising with him in that car. Fast farward 6 years and I got my license, I was stuck with a 1980 Mercedes 300D diesel that was falling apart. I took a job at the local Bar/Grill and started saving money. After the transmission died in the benz I found out it was gonna be $5,000 to rebuild that trans so away went the benz. I scoured the classifieds for a Camaro but couldnt find one, I looked into an 81 T/A but someone had played Smokey and the Bandit a bit too much with it. Then I took a job at the local salvage yard, I worked there for about 6 months....and thats when she came in. On the back of the flat bed was a 1982 Camaro Z-28. I wanted it immediatly. I struck a deal and paid $200 for her. The LG4 ran but only on 7 cylinders, but the body was straight and rust free. I rifled through the engine racks at work till I found a suitable small block. It ended up being a 66 327. My dad and I spent most of our free summer time rebuilding the 327 and getting it into the Z. Once my senior year came back about I was driving a Hugger Orange 82 Z with black stripes and Crager SS mags. Now fast forward 3 more years, I'm new into the Army, married, and deployed. Summer of 2003 my ex wife decided while I was deployed that my Z looked better in a drainage ditch than the garage. I was crushed to say the least. for the next 7 years I had owned a few Firebirds a Trans Am and an IROC but none of them were the same. Then in spring of 2008 I started looking for another Camaro. I picked up the black 82 Z-28 in my avatar for $2,000, she had a mildly built 350 and barely ran due to carb and timing issues, but we made the 2 hour long journey home with a friend in a trailblazer following me. I have since began repairing whats been wrong with it over the past few years and I always get asked "Why this one, there plenty of IROC's and GTA's that I could get with the money I have sunk into my 82?" All I do is smile and sat "Because she's the matriarch, one of the first that started the 80's pony car wars!" And thats my story I wish I had some pics for you guys but I'm in Iraq right now getting ready to redeploy to the states
Old 05-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Car: 89 Iroc-Z Ragtop, 2012 Toyota Hilux
Engine: 305ci V8 TPI
Transmission: Both Auto's(Wife can't drive stick)

Well mine is a long story but will keep it as short as poss. I had a street legal drag racing T Bucket & then we got pregnant & when our son was born it was hard to take 3 of us in it so we sold her & imported a 86 TTop as my first muscle car (My family are all Ford nuts so I was the only one with sense ). This was a cool car but deep down I always wanted a vert so we decided that our 5 year plan would be to sell the TTop & get a boat & import a vert.
I was surfing Ebay one day & found a car that looked good but was too cheap. I asked a few questions and then placed a real silly bid (just to save it to my watchlist) It then said you have met reserve. Cr*p I thought so I told my wife that we had a car but would get out bid. Credit crunch hit and you stopped buying muscle cars so I won it.

What do I do I thought so we decided to sell the TTop on Trade Me (NewZealand's version of Ebay) & a guy wanted my TTop but had to sell his boat first so I swapped the TTop for the Boat & still had no money to buy the Vert so I borrowed the money off my brother & now we have the boat & the vert. Our 5yr plan became a 2 month Plan.

I am still married & my wife now loves driving topless
Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 AM

Car: 88 SC, 89 Silvy, 13 Cruze
Engine: LO3, LO5, LUW
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, M40-6
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73, 3.94

Ever since I was born I have always loved cars, didn't matter what it was. When I started getting older my Dad always was telling my stories about the Camaro's, Trans-Am's, Monte's, Nova's, and all these awesome cars he had. Then one day he showed me a couple pictures of an 84' Z28 Camaro and a 77' Trans-Am he had. I loved the Trans-Am more but all the Newspaper Classified, E-bay and Craigslist either had major junkers that wouldn't even start or were immaculate and easily 7 Grand or more, so then I started looking a Camaro's. Didn't even think about a 82-92 Trans am.

The first Camaro I bought was a '91 Rs with a v6 5-speed in it got it for i think 900 bucks off E-bay. It ended up being a MAJOR p.o.s. and luckily the guy who owned it was nice and said if it wasn't what you were expecting we'll just say didn't sell under mutual agreement or whatever.

I bought it 2 days after i turned 16. When I first saw the Camaro on Craigslist i knew that it was going to be mine. My dad called the lady who's kid owned the car. Keep in mind the car was an hour away and it was about 8:30 at night. He's like "We're REALLY interested in the car and my son has the cash in his wallet." She was like you can leave now to come look at it or come down in the morning, and I wanted to look this "mother f'ing" car now.

As soon as we got there she was like "It doesn't run I think it needs a fuel pump." So we dumped some fuel down the throttle body and it fired right up, then he looked under the back of the car, and low and behold there was a split wire to the fuel pump. He showed me the cut wire and I told him we should of brought a trailer because I knew we were going to buy it. I went and got the 1k out gave her the money, signed the title, took it with us, and the next day my dad went up with his friend's trailer and picked it up.

The next thing that happened because of the car and my Dad, I about got kicked out of my class, on the way home my Dad sent me a picture of him loading up my car and unloading it into my drive-way. I decide to yell out in the middle of DEAD silence "F@#K YES!".

Name:  meanddadcar.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  64.3 KB
That pic it was raining so it covered up the hoods MAJOR fading.

Only things that are wrong with it; Needs paint due to GM's horrible mid-80's paint, a passenger fender due to rust bubbles, a headliner due to previous owners smoking, a drivers door due to rust, a driver's seat, and a dent popped out behind the passenger door.

Last edited by V8ReiMeR88MaRo; 05-10-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: horrible spelling and grammar.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Car: 1991 red Z/28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Back in 1989 my friend in NY State bought a brand now 89 V-6 5 speed Camaro and I rode in it quite a bit with him. Then in 1991 I saw a brand new red '91 Z/28 and told myself some day I'm going to have one. In 1996 my friend let me drive his Camaro to Detroit for the Camaro show at the Tech Center. I kinda wanted to buy that car but my finances werent allowing me to so he traded it in for a family car as he was starting a family. But I never wanted to give up on ever getting a TG Camaro. Fast forward to the last couple of years. (after my FWD Pontiac Bonneville stint) I started looking at 74s but they were either too far gone or so expensive they were out of the question and 75s were nowhere to be found period. Then I found the 91 I have now on Craiglist in the parts section in mid March. I kept watching it through mid April and saw it advertised again so I called the guy and April 18th it was mine
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi/disc

Ohh...I think I was around 12yo and I was walking home from school and parked at the post office was this bright red car I'd never seen before...( '77 T/A ) it had this big fin on the trunk with the words TRANS AM on it...so I started checking it out and saw the shaker scoop vibrating in the hood opening and this big bird on the hood...I said to myself this is the COOLEST!!!! thing in the world!!!!!!!...everytime that car cruised by I just stared in slack-jawed wonder how a car could look so cool!...I never forgot about that car so when I grew up...got a job...I bought a black '78 T/A from a friend and one more 2nd gen and two 3rd gens later I'm still a Firebird fan and always will!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro LT

This thread is awesome! Great stories and great cars.

I began my love affair with Camaros when I was 10 years old and my oldest sister was 17 and dating a guy that had a new '72 Camaro. I loved that car and vowed one day to own one. I never did get a '72 and probably never will because my love is now third gens.
I bought my first third gen in '89. It was a '85 SC with 2.8 V6 and T-tops. I had it until the winter of '91 when I had my 3rd accident in it and with a baby on the way it was goodbye Camaro (for now).
As the years passed I wanted a classic car and after owning a Dodge 600 convertible and then an '81 TA I finally decided that I wouldn't be happy until I got another third gen. So the search was on.
In April 2006 I found my '87 LT on Autotrader.com and bought it for $3500.00. I had no idea how rare it was until I got it home and started researching it.
This will be my 5th summer with the car and it's finally repainted with a new interior. It still has the original drive train and I'm debating whether it's going to stay that way. Due to the limited production numbers of the 3rd Gen LT I hate to modify it.
How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-1005050031.jpg
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LG4
Transmission: One that shifts hella hard

The reason I got into Camaros is because they run thick through my moms side of the family. She had 2, a '73 and a '78, all sport coupes, my uncle had a '69, '70 1/2, '75, '79, '83, '85 and an '87, all of which were Z's except for the first gen, it was a Yenko S/C []. My Aunt had an '86, that she bought in 87 for 2 grand, which was a steal because it only had 1200 miles on it. She just sold it last year.... which is sad because it was the first car I drove, at age 6. I was hell bent on getting a camaro, and thats what I got :]
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 357, Canfield heads, solid roller,
Transmission: Upgraded 03 Cobra T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.50 gears and Detroit Locker

I got into Camaros becuase I had a friend a while back that had a convertible either 91 or 92 Camaro. I got the Camaro I have now for free from my brother. He was still making payments on it actually. We were working on it just doing a thermostat and waterpump and had both thermostat bolts brake off in the intake. After trying everything to get them out we thought we would have to take the intake off to have someone drill them out (I didnt know much about cars then). He didnt want to deal with it so he gave the car to me. I paid him back though by building the 85 TA he has now.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Rah

My dad.

Growing up his retirement car was an 87 Trans Am. I was just a kid (you can barely see my head sticking up) but that car redefined my obsession with cars forever. Digital dash, t-tops, pure awesome. I had it in the back of my mind someday to own a similar car.

I spent years with my eyes peeled for it (if you've seen it, let me know!) but finally gave up settling for whatever I could find that had some of the key pieces I remembered.

I picked it up a couple of years ago and used my truck to tow it back from the other side of Wisconsin in March. He had become ill and I deliberately didn't tell him I went off and picked up another car on impulse but eventually he got wind of it and one of his last intelligible questions he asked was "What color is it?". He died a couple of weeks later having never seen the car.

I knew I was on to something special, though, when I found the note (attached) on the windshield at the hospital parking lot. The car attended his wake, funeral and burial.

I'm brought back to my younger days every time I watch the digital dash light up or drive along with the t-tops down.
Attached Thumbnails How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-1987ta.jpg   How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-gtatow.jpg   How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-gtanote.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI

I've been meaning to post here for a while, so sorry for the long post...

Like others, my story starts with my dad and his new 3rd gen. It was a black 1985 T/A beast with about 480hp. He had all kinds of mod done to it, stealth ram, a 350 replaced the 305, sub frame connectors... He'd take me to Bradenton Motorsports Park every Friday night, I was always disappointed if we missed just one week of the drag strip. I loved watching that car go... (I have some videos of it, I'll have to get it converted and posted up).

I have so many memories in that car...

I can remember being around the age of 6 or so and being as sick as a dog, my dad drove me around in the T/A going from doctor to doctor trying to get me looked at (I was either too young or not one of their patient).

I also remember being in 3rd grade and telling all the boys that my dad's Trans AM could kick their dad's car's butts.

My dad use to call me wheel girl, (on the account of I was really too short when I was little to reach anything else) I was in charge of cleaning the wheels every Saturday morning.

Then in March of 1999, when the Citrus Park Mall open in Tampa, someone stole my dad's Trans AM... they took it out joy riding, the cops saw them, when to pull them over, but the teens driving the car took off. They decided to go off-roading , and in Knight Rider style, they hit a ditch, went airborne and landed. In landing they twisted the frame, totaling my dad's prize car. The kids got away... I hated them when I was 10 and I still do.

Name:  Trans-am1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  93.0 KB
Name:  Trans-am2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  107.0 KB
Name:  Trans-am3.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  89.3 KB
(yes, that's me and yes that is a mulle.t)

Ever sense I wanted one of my own, it just fit. I decided to get one when I was passed by a gray Trans AM one morning and I couldn't take the smile off my face... So, about a year of looking I found this POS...

Name:  7417535aa09826e8d7446de0b302183fa5d.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  DSCF2237.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  47.9 KB
Name:  DSCF2234.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  DSCF2324.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  89.3 KB
Name:  DSCF2323.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  DSCF2316.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  84.7 KB

Even with the rust holes, crappy wiring, and trap door 'mod', I love this damn car... every time I see it, I smile and that makes it worth it. This is my secret tribute to my dad's '85 T/A.

I don't know where my dad's T/A ended up, but I can tell you it wasn't a junk yard... it was bought but one of the guys at the shop where the car use to get work done... maybe I'll see it one day when I take my T/A to Bradenton Speedway.

Last edited by LTL_DMON; 05-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.83

wow thats really cool. thats like finding your dream car pretty much.

I always wanted a camaro because the first car i "drove" (I just kinda steered it) was a camaro when i was 5. Ever since then i said i was gonna buy a camaro. I worked 3 jobs for the past 4 months to save money and while scrolling thru Craigslist i saw an 1985 camaro for sale for $1800. Using every dollar i saved i went and bought the car. It's a little beat up on the outside but it runs like a champ. I also learned how to drive a 5 speed in this thing.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Car: '91 RS, '72 Pro/Street Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, Blown 468ci w/NOS
Transmission: 5 Spd, 2 Spd Powerglide
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 4.88

Originally Posted by gjones22793
while scrolling thru Craigslist i saw an 1985 camaro for sale for $1800. It's a little beat up on the outside but it runs like a champ.
Hey, I just found my 91 Camaro on Craigslist for $1800 too. Same thing as yours, it's not the prettiest looking car on the outside, but it does run like a champ.

I did do a few mods to it in order to make it look a little better though. I added a Z28 hood and grille insert w/fog lights, swapped out the stock turn signals for some clears, I lowered it about 2.5", and installed a set of Convo-Pro wheels. The only thing it needs now is some minor bodywork and a paint job.

Here's what it looks like after the mods.............

Name:  RolledWheelWells0682.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  RolledWheelWells020.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  128.0 KB
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Car: 90 formula
Transmission: auto

ill get pics later but i was sick of imports and wanted to get into v8s so i bought my formula for 1000 and the body was in amazing condition compared to now.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Well, it all started in 2000 when my 1990 Beretta GT died (cracked the block) and I decided to go looking for a new car. I was 18; I saw a purple 92 RS on a used lot and drooled - I was familiar with cars at the time, but didn't have my 3rdgen specs down yet. I saw two things... "CAMARO" and "V8". It had like 80,000 on it and was in decent shape. It had a nice exhaust on it and I thought it was awesome; That was, until I lost some races to cars that I really didn't think I would.......

Sold it after only owning it 2-3 months. Got a 1993 Beretta GTZ that was an amazing car; In 2003, I found my 2nd thirdgen, a 1987 IROC-Z with 305TPI/Auto. Then later came my wife's 1990 IROC-Z (305tpi). Since we were moving cross country in Spring2007, we had to sell the cars off.

Bought a 91 Z28 in April 2007 (after the move was over) and it turned out to be a rust bucket - Sold it in June 2007 and had been "thirdgen-less" until recently. Found another, much more solid 1991 Z28 for $1500! Bought it and the rest is history. This'll probably be the Camaro I keep forever!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Car: 1985 iroc z
Engine: 350 .30 over
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: told aftermarket moser 3.73 posi?

Originally Posted by Str8upChevy
Hey, I just found my 91 Camaro on Craigslist for $1800 too. Same thing as yours, it's not the prettiest looking car on the outside, but it does run like a champ.

I did do a few mods to it in order to make it look a little better though. I added a Z28 hood and grille insert w/fog lights, swapped out the stock turn signals for some clears, I lowered it about 2.5", and installed a set of Convo-Pro wheels. The only thing it needs now is some minor bodywork and a paint job.

Here's what it looks like after the mods.............

those wheels look awesome im seriously thinking about buying a set instead of new tires for my car what size are they and where can i get the best deal on em???

ive wanted a third gen since i was literally a baby when i was just a new born. my aunt and uncle bought me a bunch of hot wheels and my favorite ones were the 87 iroc and the 80's monte carlo. well when i was 13 i got my first job working at a car wash i saved and bought a 1300 dollar bmx bike which got stolen about 6 months later. so i started saving all over again for a camaro when i turned 16 i got my license and begged my mom for a camaro but my cousin thats about 2 years older than me had just lost his 89 iroc due to speeding tickets and careless driving. so my aunt tol my mom not to let me buy one i begged begged and begged some more she told me no but i had 2500 saved up for one and conned my dad into a ride to check out this sweet 85 z/28 i found. i told him i needed a ride to a friends house he fell for it. then when we got there i let him in on what i was doing we checked the car out my dad test drove it and came back with just the biggest **** eating grin ive ever seen on his face to this day so i knew it was mine. but the guy wouldnt budge from his price of 3000 and my dad not knowing what was going on didnt bring any money so i left. when i got home i begged my mom for hours to give me the rest of the money for the car she kept saying no so i freaked out and ran away and swore i hated my parents cause that was my dream to own that car at that point in my life... well about three days later i ran out of clothes went home around 2 30 pm right after school. when my dad was sleeping an mom was at work. i walked in packed some stuff and right when i was walkin out the door i hear my dad yell hey kid!! i said leave me alone. he goes ur brother needs a ride home from school he missed the bus. i told him so what its not my problem and he just grinned and threw a set of keys at me i looked at em for a second i knew they werent my moms tahoe keys or my dads lumina keys i said wtf are these??? he said go look in the back yard. i walked out there and there sat that 85 z/28 we checked out apparently they bought it the same day i checked it out when they went "grocery shopping" and were gonna give it to me before school the next morning. but they thought it was funny that i freaked out and ran away and decided to wait for me to come home... you have no clue i was the happiest kid in the world when i jumped in and drove off i called my mom and apoligized about 200000000 times on my way to get my brother she told me just no speeding well i hung up with her and about 10 seconds later i got my first speeding ticket and didnt care 1 bit and ive never looked back since my little brother now has that 85 z/28 im helping restore it to original but a little faster my DD is a 85 iroc/z and we have a 87 z/28 were gonna surprise my little sister with for graduation..... and if ya ask my brother he was hooked since the day i got mine and picked him up from school in it!!!

Last edited by zachkuby87; 05-25-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 PM

I have always love thirdgens when I was 15 I was looking for a car to get and start driving so I got comfortable and used to driving a car I looked around at a bunch of cars but always seemed to find the Third Gen camaros. Well I endded up not getting one I got stuck driving my moms jeep and an old SLOW 1976 ford f150 cool truck but slow. A few weeks after turning 16 a guy at my dads work got a DUI and needed money to pay for a lawyer well he happened to have a 1991 z28 after looking at it we bought it for $1800 right on the spot! Now I am 18 still have her and and still love even though I havent driven her once I get the motor back in Im going ALL over
Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 66 Mustang, 78 t/a
Engine: 5.0 TBI, 289, 400
Transmission: 700R4, C4, th350

I actually wasn't even looking at Camaros or thirdgens. I wanted a 2nd gen firebird. but, i got this car because it was just on the other street adjacent to mine. I still put all my effort into it. turned out to be a cool car.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 305 crossfire (soon to change)
Transmission: Th200C (soon to change)
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Well, I was at a ripe old age of 16, I had just moved out of my parents house in England to come back here for my girlfriend, now wife and I had to find a car to get to work and school. I got a car from a friend to use until it was run into the ground and a cousin of mines new boyfriend heard of my dilemma. It turns out that his mom had a 91 Firebird Formula that she was driving but may be tempted to sell if she could get enough money for the other car she wanted. Well, I went a spoke with her and she told me that I could buy it if, 1: it was enough to buy the other car she wanted and 2: I would drive her there to get it. Well, I'm thinking at this point, okay sounds good BUT what car could she possibly want and how much was she (I) gonna have to pay for it?! So one day she comes by and we go to the guy that has the car she wants... a 1992 Chrysler New Yorker! The ol' boy wanted a whopping $700 for it, which at 16, just out on my own and not much money in my pocket was a chunk of change, but Kathy told me if I could just come up with half then she would let me pay out the other half over 2 months time and I could take the car home that day! I couldn't believe it. So I had my 91 formula and she sure could move, until one dreadful day when I started to hear a knock and pulled over immediately(which was unusual of me at the time, as I'd probably been through 3 blown motors by this time) so I got her towde to a buddy of mine's garage and we checked her out she needed a rebuild... long story short she sat in that garage until the day before I left for BMT and I decided to sell her to an ol' boy so I could have some on base spending money. I still to this day regret my decision. Well, FF to about 2 weeks ago I come across a buddy of mine that had a third gen with close to the same body style as my formula and we got to talking. I remembered that he had the car sitting in a field because I had tried to get him to sell me some parts off of it and thought that I'd bring it up... well it turned out that he was getting tired of it just sitting out under that tree and would be more than happy to sell her to me, so for 800 bucks I got an '82 Trans Am T-Top. So now I have her sitting in the driveway, I'm working on her a little at a time (she didn't have the heads on so is in need of a motor) and a few other things that are wrong, which can be expected of a car that has been sitting the past 11 years, waiting to get back on the road.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: '86 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

My dad is a car guy, used to buy cars and strip them, tinker with them etc. Hauled me to car shows before I could walk. Always loved cars, never really focused in on the 3rd gens though. Of course I watched Nightrider and thought KITT was cool and what little boy didn't want KITT?

My parents took care of a house for some friends while they were trying to sell it and already living in California. They had an '84 Trans Am that had been sitting behind their house for at least 7-8 years as a project they never had time to get to. Well the house sold and they gave us this non-running faded out car near the end of '02. I was a senior in high school so my parents had me drag it out to the school's auto shop to get it running. After lots of work over the course of 4 or 5 months it lived again. My parents gave me the car, that I had dumped all this work and money into upon my graduation.

The original 305 engine went out and it sat for 19 months before I swapped in another supposedly recently rebuilt 305. That engine didn't even last a year, so I got discouraged and parked it, moved on to my '69 C10. Fast forward from it getting parked March 1st 2006 to June 23th 2010 and I drug it out of the weeds to get it on the road again. August 20th I took off in it for it's first drive.

Having been a GM Tech, I've driven all sorts of cars from used and abused clunkers up to new Z06 'vettes. But I love the way my Trans Am drives, it's unlike anything else, and the feeling I get sitting in it is unlike anything else too. That combined with all the emotions and struggles along with the good times and fun that I've had with this car have sealed the deal. I cut my teeth on this car, working for hours on end learning as I worked. Fate brought me this Trans Am and I'm hooked for life to 3rd gens now, with any luck this car will stay with me forever and continue to evolve for the better, and who knows, maybe I'll pick up some more 3rd gens along the journey, I can only hope so.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-z

Back in 1989, a friend of mine bought his wife a brand new IROC. She used it only to drive 2 miles back and forth to work, and to the grocery store on weekends. In 1993, the same couple won some sort of SUV in a raffle, and the IROC became the "orphan" car, without a space in the garage. My friend mentioned that he would like to sell the IROC, and even though i really didn't need another car, I purchase an essentially brand-new IROC with 26K on it, for 6 thousand (good deal).
Over the 17 years i have owned it, it has served our family as sort of a "back-up car" , used when our other cars were being repaired or serviced.
During this time, I sadly watched as the paint job melted away, and the little electronic bugs ate into its reliability. My wife was bugging me to get rid of it, but I couldn't bear to part with my baby (62K miles now).
So after 17 years of neglecting her, I dove headlong into a complete restoration project this past summer. I must say, that most of my inspiration and know-how has come from this fantastic forum we belong to....I couldn't or wouldn't have attempted it without the help of all you good people.
It's about half done now, will post pics for y'all when it's done. So you might actually say I won the rights to my IROC in a raffle, indirectly???
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

I've always been a avid fan of Camaro's, always wanted one. When it was my time to get a car, I didn't car what Camaro it was, I just wanted a Camaro. So, my Dad found a 1989 Camaro RS on Ebay. I had 1k for a car saved up and we got it. It was in great shape, we thought it had a rod knock, but after we pulled the motor we found that 2 exhaust manifold bolts were broken, and could have caused the knock we heard. But we had already bought another V6 to go in. So, we merged the best of both motors together, and put it in. She runs great, stalls sometimes because of a vacuum leak. But it's been a great car, I've had it for about a year and half now, 2 years this Feb. I love the car, I just wish it was a V8. I have big plans for it, a LS1 M6 swap, new red paint, some new tires and wheels, and cleaning up the interior. I hope to keep it for long as possible, it's so much fun to drive, and all my friends think it's awesome, I have people looking at it all the time, Even with the shape the paint is in. I'll post some pics below for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-camaro-5-.jpg   How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-camaro-2-.jpg   How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-camaro-3-.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

It was the summer after my freshman year of college (1996) and i was back home working to save more $$$ for my next year of school. I received a call from a buddy at the local Ford dealership where this guy had just traded in a one owner 85 Z28 with 50k on the odometer. She was black and gold with a 305 and 5 speed. I took one look at her and I turned to putty. I cleaned out my savings account (a whopping $3500) and bought her.

My parents went ape sh*t when they found out. All I heard for the next month was "how in the hell are you going to pay for college now!" Well I turned around and sold my other baby, an 81 Firebird Esprit, and worked my butt off the rest of the summer to get back on track.

In the spring of 98, as i was stopped at a light coming home from work, a guy rear ended me going 60mph and totaled out my Z28. I have been looking for another black and gold Z28 for 12 years to replace that car.

Today I found one and it is now in my driveway. I am the proud parent of an 86 black & gold IROC with a tan interior and a 305. She is a little rusty, but I don't care because I can fix her. Good things tend to come back to you if you look long enough.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Transmission: 700r4

My dad had a bunch of trans ams as a kid. He had an 81, 82, and an 86. He showed me pictures and I fell in love haha so at 15 and a sophomore in highschool I bought mine. Im 17 and a senior in highschool, still own the car, and i love it
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

How did I get into my camaro? I opened the door and got in, I thought about jumping through the window, but decided I was too old and fat. i did not want to hurt myself or my car....
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Car: 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 350ci, 882 heads, mild cam
Transmission: Turbohydramatic 350
Axle/Gears: Factory GM 10 bolt

I started out a Mopar guy to be honest. My dad had an '80 something Dodge W200 "Sno-Fiter" 4x4, 318 V8, stick shift... the damn thing was a tank. Got the same fuel mileage too. I loved the thing but I was way too young, kindergarten age I think. He ran it for a few years, but eventually neglect from previous owners took its toll and unfortunately my father is not even slightly mechanically inclined. So the plow was sold and the truck given to my uncle who eventually scrapped it after a failed attempt at converting it to automatic. I still grew up with a love for Mopar though, until three years ago when I laid eyes on a black 1982 Firebird Trans Am with a hideous '80s stripe on the side. "For Sale $900 or B/O". I still have the sign. The guy lived right around the corner from my wife and I at the time. His story was that he bought it for his son with the intent of it being a father son project, but that his son wasn't into cars after all. I asked him how low he would go on the price, $600. I had that. Something felt right about the car. It may sound stupid but when I sat in the drivers seat it was like the car and I were one, but got separated and now reunited. I bought it, knowing it needed a little TLC. After a struggle with finances and juggling other people's projects and repairs I finally got it roadworthy over the summer. Every time I sit in the seat, grasp the steering wheel and stare into that silver phoenix in the center, I think about that old truck, the memories in it and how they will have to pry my Trans Am keys out of my cold dead fingers someday. If my son falls in love with my Trans Am someday, I don't ever want him to have to feel the pain of seeing it sold. It's an heirloom now.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning

I had a 1971 Camaro years ago and have missed it since I sold it. My two sons both had 3rd gens, an 82 z28 and a 86 z28. It was through helping them fix their's up that I got into the 3rd gens and now I have a 92 z28.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Car: 1986 sports coupe, 1984 F41
Engine: 3.8L Turbo SFI, stock 305
Transmission: 700 R4, 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, 3.08:1

My love affair with camaros started with a 1969 307 camaro that was just sitting rotting behind a dealership down the road from my Grandma's house. I first saw that car one day we were visiting my Grandma. I would make up excuses to go for a "walk" while I was there just to check it out. I fell in love with the first gen camaros. I tried to convince my parents to buy that car (I was only 14) but they laughed and said absolutely not! I was determined to buy a camaro one day. My next run-in with a camaro was a 1981 z28 350 . It was forsale for $800.00. I would stop on my way home from school everyday to check it out. I got a part-time job just to bu that car. I finally got the money together, and went over to buy it. It was sold.. I found out later that my employer had gone to see it and bought it before I could without telling me!!!! So i quit. lol. When I was in college I came across a 1987 sports coupe with the 2.8l fo $1200.00. I took that car for a spin and fell in love with it. After a quick inspection on a hoist I discovered major body rot and poorly done body work to hide it. So i moved on. I then just 1 year later came across a 1986 sports coupe with a real solid body (so i thought), fresh headliner and no T-tops. I grabbed it up at $2000.00. I drove that car everyday for 3 years. The Canadian winters took a toll on the body, and I blew up the weak 2.8l. Time for a rebuild. I started with experimenting with body colours, and then decided on keeping it silver. I also decided to replace that little v6 with the awesome Turbo 3.8L from a Grand National. I've been working on her ever since. Someday soon my car will be on the road again, until then I'm happy working on her. I don't have any pics of her when I bought her, but here's a few along it's way to it's current state.https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/4...urbo-swap.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/powe...s-your-15.html
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: LS1

Well, I used to be a import guy, had a turbo mirage, DSM, and a civic. I messed around with F-bodys due to my best friend owning a 86' Iroc, 90 RS and a 92 RS. I was no stranger to them but I still preferred my 4 cylinders (young and dumb). One night I wrapped my Civic around a pole, my friend ended up bringing me home from the hosp in his 92'. About 2 days later I was just getting my nerve up to step back behind the wheel of a car when I heard the exhaust note that will forever be ingrained into my memory. I turned around to see my friends new to him 99' SS 6-spd, first time in a car other than the ride home and im already going sideways leaving the driveway. By the end of the ride I knew I HAD to own one of these amazing machines. I picked up my own 00' Z28 in Dec of 2006. Modded it with the typical bolt ons and raced it frequently at Cecil Co Dragway. Unfortunately It was taken away 3 years later in 09' during a rain storm while responding to a CPR in progress. Turned out to not be CPR, just an overly intoxicated man and overly intoxicated friends who were worried about his welfare. But regardless my Z was gone, I purchased it back from the insurance co cause 2k for a LS1/T56 car is just good money sense. Fast forward to about 3 months ago. I received a text from a friend who said he knew a guy selling a third gen about 20 miles from me. Ehh, I was bored and figured its only dead dinosuar that I would be wasting. Well, I ended up towing away a 87' rust free hardtop roller with a damn near immaculate interior for 300 bucks. Car was a 3.1/auto and with my entire 00's chassis at my disposal its seemed like a perfect match. Look for a build thread soon
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Car: 91' RS
Engine: 310 C.I.D. + n2o
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: built 10 bolt 3.73's

Always wanted one ever since my brother bough his 88 350 Iroc when i was 13 when i turned 16 i had 800 saved up i started looking and 8 months later i found my 91 305 RS auto at the junkyard for 1200 with 106k on the odometer its been match made in heaven ever since haha
Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 2.8l v6
Transmission: auto

ok I guess my story now.Well when I was younger back in 96-97 I saw the dukes of hazzard the show when boss and uncle jesse were raceing and boss hog was in a 1968 Camaro Gray Ghost I said to my shelf dang I want that car it could have whoop the double 0 butt any dayThat when I first found the Camaro did not really fall in love with them in until 98 when My step father got a 84 t-top that was a Huge POS well the paint was gone the fiberglass was gone and the car ran but sound like the 4 of July the car smoke like a fight train but me and my brother and mom and my step father got in it ran through corn fields horse fields jumping the car left in right.Then we hit a huge rock at 40 mph the car went over it, but not for long after that the car only went 20 mphThen my step father said well this is gone to the junkyard I cried for four days and right then I swear I will have another one. but did not think I would be back in a third but now I am in I am happy the owner was selling for 700 the paint is gone the engine has a small knocked but the engine bay of the car looks like it just came out of show room same with the inside. The last owner put a new trans in kill-Roy that the cars name the reason well It sound like a transformer name and my Step Father made robots and one of the robots was name Kill-Roy but anyways back to Kill-Roy I trade my 89 Mercury for her the Mercury was just becoming a black hole of money and I hope Kill-Roy will not. The hood shocks are gone as the trunk shocks are gone but here is a pic of Kill-Roy now sometime she will be balck with white raceing stripes and beside the Camaro name Plate I am going to put the Transformer emblem
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.0 multiport fuel injected

So my story is pretty simple, My inlaws bought this 88 trans am gta for their 16 year old son as a first car, He had it for about a year and a half when it blew the intake gaskets and started leaking water pretty bad. They ended up buying my tahoe that i was trying to get out from under the payments of. So to make a long story short they still owed me about 1000 so they offered me the choice between the broke down car or the cash. I just rebuilt the 454 in the 82 pickup that i was driving at the time. So i knew that the intake gaskets should be an easy fix. So i took the car. I had the intentions of fixing and selling it but i started driving it and enjoyed it a little to much. So i tell my wife it is still for sale but im not advertising it. Its a little rough but is still a fun car.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 3.1L

I don't even know how I got into these cars. They are beautiful and everything but no one in my family had one for me to see when I was young. I think I saw pictures in a book and heard stories. Turns out my dad and grandpa used to have a bunch of nice cars, Chevelle, Nova, camaro etc. Runs in my blood I suppose.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Newly rebuilt 700R4

I worked with the p/o. Told her if she ever got rid of it to put me 1st on the list. 10 years later, she called and the deal was done. Only took 28 years to get one as 'Knight Rider' inspired me to get one eventually. Will always have a Third Gen now. Shouldn't have waited this long.

How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-special-k2.jpg

Not the best pic, but it's all i have for now.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 350 (5.7) TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 POSI

I had always loved Camaro/Firebirds since young. I don't recall anyone ever having one, just liking them. My favorite car is a 67-69 Camaro, and growing up on SMokey and the Bandit/Dukes of Hazzard gave me a love of those cars. Burt Reynolds favored a Firebird, and his sidekick on Smokey and the Bandit, Jerry Reed favored a Bronco interestingly enough. The Third Gens are my favorite gen besides First...After a while, I decided I needed to get a nice project muscle car to compliment my trucks. So I asked my girlfriend to call around and ask her dad (with the 86 Olds Cutlass with a 455 swap) if they could find me an old muscle car, like a Camaro, Nova, Chevelle, Olds 442, Firebird... Anything like that for a fun little project that I could drive.

In a week she found someone who had many old cars rotting away in the woods (He has an LS1 swap station wagon, show car LS1 El Camino, Recaro Trans AM in his personal garage) with many Corvettes and etc shoved off. My Firebird was the last car in the woods and had not been used since 2004. It had shredded interior, bad paint, bad windshield, bad hood and bad spoiler. We poured some gas into it and it fired up. It is a 305 TPI with a T5. Sitting in it, in the middle of the woods, with that open piped 'Bird rumbling... I fell in love. Pulled it out, cleaned it up some, swapped tires and test drove it. (The guy I bought it from owns a shop, he lives two mins away from me) Bought it that very day. Thank you Danielle, for finding this 'Bird for me.

Last edited by Andrew James; 01-27-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Car: 1988 Base Coupe
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ disk brakes - 3.70

My original interest in thirdgens was sparked by a story from my father. He had many cars over the years from a 69 Roadrunner to a 77 Trans Am but a favorite car of his was one he never got to drive. It was late 1984, he was 22 years old and had just sold his metallic blue 77 Trans Am and was at the dealership where his girlfriend worked looking for a new Trans Am. It was there that he fell in love with a metallic brown Z28 Camaro. The car had been bumped at the dealership and broken the passenger side mirror. He purchased the car and they agreed to replace the mirror before he picked it up, little did he know that was the last time he would see the car. A few days later he received a call from his girlfriend at the dealership informing him the car was done, she asked if she could bring the car to him when she got out of work. He agreed and went about his day. Several hours later he received a call informing him that his girlfriend had been in an accident. He arrived on the scene to find she had lost control at high speed and gone off the highway rolling the car six times, he never bought another car.

When I turned 16 I was asked what I wanted for a vehicle. My father said, if he approved of my choice he would help me purchase a vehicle. I told him I wanted a camaro, he promptly refused.

The day finally came that I turned 18 and began shopping for a car of my own. I called on several cars but none fit my desires and price range. I eventually came across a craigslist ad that said "PRICE REDUCED. Chevy Camaro Iroc-z" The seller had originally been asking $2000 and had reduced the price to $1600. I went to look at it and instantly fell in love. The seller was hard pressed to come up with $1200 for rent and he quickly accepted my offer of $1200. I purchased the car with 143,000mi and she is currently sitting at 186,000mi and will soon be due for retirement.

Summer 2011 a friend of mine posted on Facebook asking that anyone who was interested in purchasing a camaro contact her because a friend of hers needed money ASAP. I quickly contacted her and drove 3 hours south to look at the car. That is when I bought Camaro #2 which is currently being restored to her former glory.

Camaro similar to the one my father bought back in '85

Camaro #1 as it sat when I went to look at it

Camaro #2
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 AM

Hmmm in high school i had an 84 firebird s/e. my first v8 car. I loved it. It was junk ended up wrecking it. I had some other cars, and after high school my friends dad was selling his car I always wanted, a third gen black iroc-z Camaro. Even when I had my firebird I wanted a Camaro more. I finally borrowed money and called in favors, and got the car. After having that car for a few months, I got bored, wanted something faster. Bought a lt1 six speed Camaro. That car was awesome and I had it for A few years. After awhile I lost interest and needed a truck. Sold the car, had a couple trucks. But after a big car show I decided I wanted to build something. Another Camaro. Found a 91 roller, and scored a 355. That's my story. Working on that. From the test drive it feels faster tha any of my other cars.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am,03 Yukon,92 Z28
Engine: 5.3, 5.3, lb9
Transmission: th350,4l60e,700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73,3.73,2.73

It all started when i was really young like 3 or 4. My uncle was always into Knight rider and Smoky and the bandit and i rememeber watching them with him and asking him questions about the cars. then when i was about 6 or 7 sometime in 93 my uncle and grandmother came to visit us and he had just bought a 92 red firebird. I was in love from then on i remember going everywhere with him and thought it was the fastest thing lol 3.1 700r4 hartop car. he kept it garage the whole time he owned the car had black interior hard top all power options. I hoped he would give it to me when i could drive but sadly in 2002 he decided it was time to upgrade and he sold the car for 2000 with only 90k on it and the girl he sold it too ragged it out bad. well he jumped around to a few cars then ended up buying a new 02 trans am red black interior. well around the time he sold the 92 i was driving my parents nuts about looking for a 77-79 trans am. i looked for firebirds trans ams and formulas for what seemed like forever and one day my sophmore year in hs a good friend told me about a white "firebird" not far from where he lives for sale. so the next time my uncle came to visit i made him ride out there with me. We got there and no one was home so we rode up to the car and was looking at it and i was in love!turns out it was a 86 Trans Am and it had every thing white with the bird on the hood wrap around spoiler red interior and T-TOPS! well when we went to leave the owners showed up and we talked to them for a bit and then we went home.

a few weeks went by and i bugged my mom and uncle so much about this car and he kept saying it was too much(ha lg4 700r4 2.73 peg leg). well he told me one day on the phone if i had someone go with me and drive it and if they thought it was a good car then he would get it for me if i continued to work hard in school and pay atleast half back. well on march 8 2004 the car was mine! lol i got my permit the day before and my girlfriend drove me and my mom to the guys house to buy the car and he followed us home and mom signed the title and wrote up a bill of sale and we drove the guy back home. all night that night i was out in the driveway lookign the car over starting it up and reving it moving it around. mom said it would be a week or so till she would have a chance to go to the dmv to tag it. then the next day at school thats all i could think about and after school i was hanging out with my girlfriend in her moms classroom before track practice and mom called me.... she asked me what i was doing and that i needed to look out the parking lot and i did and in the chaos of people leaving school there was my mom and little sister standing next to my car waving up at me. she asked me if i wanted to drive her home and drive the car back to school for practice.....DUH!!! i still remember this day walking out and all of my friends waiting for the bus asking me if that was my car and telling me to spin tires lol. i gave my friend Kevin a ride home also and he thought it was awesome. I was in heaven.....2nd best day of my life lol

I still have the car today almost 8 years later....it looks like hell compaired to when it was back then but i got married had a kid moved a few times and the car sat at moms with no motor for awhile after the lg4 crapped out and at some point i decided to change the interior from red to black and well i only got the tear down stage done...Now that it has its own garage now ive finaly started rebuild her i want to be able to say ive done everything to this car myself. it now has a 5.3/th350 combo and black interior but in BAD need of paint. i had a few other fbodys like a 98 camaro and 82 trans am i played with for awhile and most recent is my 92 z28 which is a nice weather dd and its nice to have another dd thirdgen but its not the same as my 86 trans am with t-tops
Attached Thumbnails How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?-me-trans-am.jpg