Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

Why Not... Here she is.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TBI ... (Not for Long!)
Why Not... Here she is.

1988 RS (Actually a Sport Coupe) 73,000 miles
305 auto
T-Top

Bought her in April 2012 and slowly working on making her my own. So far I've mocked up a paint scheme and then stripped damn near everything off of her. Put a full exhaust on consisting of a set of Hooker 2055's, Magnaflow high flow cat and Flowmaster 3'' cat back system. Put all new rockford 4X6 in the dash 6X9s in the sides and have a set of 12" subs for the back. Picked up a set of louvers and right now im in the process of getting her completely ready for paint... Long way to go!

First pic is how she was right after I bought her.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-test.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-mocked-stripes.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-why-not-flat.jpg  

Last edited by 88rsRestoration; 03-25-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Re: Why Not... Here she is.

Just a few pics here of progress stripping down the body to get it ready for paint. Also cutting holes in the dash to accomodate the new Rockford Fosgates that are a little to tall to fit underneath.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-stripping-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-busted-up.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-sanding.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Few more here. The new headlights with "halos" that will be going in when shes all painted. The louver set I grabbed for $100 with a little paint thrown on just to simulate finished paint scheme. The pic of the car is how shes sitting right now... No doors, hatch, hood, front fenders, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-3-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-4-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Not a bad looking car the way it sits now, I'm going to paint my RS satin black whenever the body work is done. By the way that car is a 88 "Sport Coupe" RS was out in a very limited markets and in limited numbers in 88, but RS did not come out till 89 all over. I see your badges say Camaro and not RS, that right there is a tell tale sign. Sport coupes never had GXF till 88 when they had the Z28 GFX and 15" Z28 wheels. Also you have the earley 88 spoiler on it. Looks like a nice start you have there.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM

You know I had wondered about that a bit after I bought it. It was marketed to me as an RS but I did notice that neither the side badge nor the badge on the rear bumper matched that, Had me a little confused!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88rsRestoration
You know I had wondered about that a bit after I bought it. It was marketed to me as an RS but I did notice that neither the side badge nor the badge on the rear bumper matched that, Had me a little confused!
Yeah that happens alot around here with the 88 SC's I have looked at 2 that people were calling RS. I think they see the GFX and wheels and just think it's an RS since to look like one and it's not a Z28. Also RS will have an RS badge on the dash as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Quick Exhaust video I took a while ago when I finished hooking it all up... Obviously there is some serious tuning needed to be done with the motor but it has been sitting garaged since 1994...

Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 / 2002 Z06
Engine: 350 New Crate / LS6
Transmission: T5 / M12
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.42

Nice project! I love the headlight, where did you bought them?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Why Halos ? To each there own but IMO that's a little to much "Tuner".

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

Are you keeping the "shorty" wing ?
I like them.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-20-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Hey guys,

I actually just got the headlights on Ebay from "Modify Street". They came with really basic LED's with the "condoms" that slip over them to change the color but I went on 'superbrightleds' and grabbed a set of real bright blue replacements.

I have seen a lot of people saying they didn't like the Halo style housings but honestly I like them. I mean driving at night they wont be on because you wouldn't see them anyway. They are really just something I'm using to try and 'stand out' a little bit more. Same with the louvers. If its something most people dislike chances are I like it in the sense that it will make my vehicle more unique to me.

I think the halos will look pretty cool on the car after its painted. I already purchased the paint and am just waiting to finish prepping it before i get it done. I am going with a royal blue metallic base with charcoal gray metallic racing stripes, In that sense I think the blue halos with the blue car should look pretty nice. But the best part about them is that if they do end up looking bad they all are just run off a toggle switch!

In the case of the wing I'm most likely going to keep it on there. My only concern is with the racing stripes, louver, and wing the back end may get a little bit too 'busy' and may not look right. But that we will find out after I paint it and put it back together.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

Originally Posted by 2007xl50
Yeah that happens alot around here with the 88 SC's I have looked at 2 that people were calling RS. I think they see the GFX and wheels and just think it's an RS since to look like one and it's not a Z28. Also RS will have an RS badge on the dash as well.
The only RS dash badge was the '92 RS "25th Anniversary" badge. All other RS's just got the "CAMARO" badge.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

This will give you some idea what stripes will look like on you wing.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Those stripes are exactly like i plan on running them.

"""" The only RS dash badge was the '92 RS "25th Anniversary" badge. All other RS's just got the "CAMARO" badge. """"

Is there any other definitive way to be positive about the model. I know the guy I bought it from replaced at a minimum the nose and the rear bumper cover due to small fender benders and both came off an 87. I guess It'd be nice to reall have a definitive answer of what I've been really working on so far!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Those stripes are exactly like i plan on running them.

"""" The only RS dash badge was the '92 RS "25th Anniversary" badge. All other RS's just got the "CAMARO" badge. """"

Is there any other definitive way to be positive about the model. I know the guy I bought it from replaced at a minimum the nose and the rear bumper cover due to small fender benders and both came off an 87. I guess It'd be nice to reall have a definitive answer of what I've been really working on so far!
OK, I was wrong about the badge on the dash, see my car is a 92 so I have the RS dash badge. I'm sure your car is an 88 Sport Coupe.

Also I'm not a fan of halo lights at all, but it's your car, also I would keep that spoiler on there since you do see alot of cars with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM

OK, I was wrong about the badge on the dash, see my car is a 92 so I have the RS dash badge. I'm sure your car is an 88 Sport Coupe.

Also I'm not a fan of halo lights at all, but it's your car, also I would keep that spoiler on there since you do see alot of cars with them.

Gotcha, Good to be sure as I will soon be really starting to put the interior together and was planning on getting a couple "RS" badges and finding spots for them... Guess that idea is out the window.

I do love the spoiler it was one of my favorite parts on the back of any of the camaro's I have seen. Although it is 'rounded' when most of the car is sharp lines it really fits well. Cant wait to get everything in paint and put back together.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

When people ask you can tell them its called a "short wing" and was only made for have a year in "88" Even though they made 66,605 Sport Coups only about half that many have the short wing making it fairly uncommon.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Took a quick trip to the U-Pull-It yard today for some minor pieces for the car. Hoping to eventually find a lot of different things like the 145 mph gauge cluster etc...

Today I grabbed an extra black piece that goes over the top of the gauges and clear lens, a trim piece that goes on the back of the headliner towards the rear hatch, a 'mint' center console cover, and a ton of spare screws as well as a set of gold camaro badges of an older berlinetta. Not to mention got my girl into the project helpin pull parts all over the yard today!

EDIT: Those gold camaro badges aren't staying gold im planning at least right now on blasting them and doing the black sections in the gray of the car and the gold sections in the blue of the car...
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-9-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-gettin-her-involved.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-8-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM

RONUSMC

Just realized that I have been looking at pictures of your car for the last 2 months... I have been saving to grab a cowl hood for the car and saw pictures of your car through image searching and definitely thought that was the best looking hood out there... Couple questions on that, the fit is obviously really nice and smooth but just wondering did it come that nice or did you do some modifying to get it that way? I should be ordering mine in the next couple of weeks here.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

All I had to do was drive about 2 hours away on the highway without a hood and we put it on when I got there. Fit perfect from the start.Love the hood and honestly think it was one of my best investments.IMO,steel is the way to go for a car that is going to be mostly a DD.
Any way the rear of the cowl has a steel plate with about 100 1/2 holes drilled but is not a free flowing opening. The X-Stream filter top pulls cold air from the opening just the same as any. With a open air element and x-stream filter top it truly is a working cowl.

Also the hood comes painted black so you just scuff it and shoot a primer/etc.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-22-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Took a quick trip to the U-Pull-It yard today for some minor pieces for the car. Hoping to eventually find a lot of different things like the 145 mph gauge cluster etc...

Today I grabbed an extra black piece that goes over the top of the gauges and clear lens, a trim piece that goes on the back of the headliner towards the rear hatch, a 'mint' center console cover, and a ton of spare screws as well as a set of gold camaro badges of an older berlinetta. Not to mention got my girl into the project helpin pull parts all over the yard today!

EDIT: Those gold camaro badges aren't staying gold im planning at least right now on blasting them and doing the black sections in the gray of the car and the gold sections in the blue of the car...
Cute GF, she looks so happy to be there LOL! Glad you got some good parts. yeah I have looked a few 88's that had the shorty spoiler and I like it. Would I pull my duck bill for one- NO, but if I got a car with one I would sure leave it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Yeah I like the wing its definitely different. She actually liked going through and realizing you can just take whatever you want from whatever car you see.....I know mind blowing stuff right!

Today I started doing some thinking about a final paint scheme as I really thought I knew what I wanted but now I am not sure. Stumbled upon a picture online of some photoshop work of an exaggerated hockey style stripe and something about it just screams unique. Don't think it would fit with the racing stripes that I was originally planning to well and I am no good at photoshop to see. Guess it's good I have a couple months yet to decide.

This is that photo I was describing
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-hockey-stripe.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Putting those tax refunds to work today Ordered my new 2 inch cowl hood as well as a couple door hinge pin replacements a new cut off tool from Summit Racing(Blew out my old one last week). I was originally going with the goodmark 2 in. however for $100 less the KeyParts 2 in. looked almost identical and I have heard it has amazing unmodified fitment.
ITCHING to get this stuff in it's just one step closer to getting some new paint on her.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Got my new door hinge pins in today! Have to drive to pick up the new hood tomorrow morning... So ready to start putting her all back together.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah I like the wing its definitely different. She actually liked going through and realizing you can just take whatever you want from whatever car you see.....I know mind blowing stuff right!

Today I started doing some thinking about a final paint scheme as I really thought I knew what I wanted but now I am not sure. Stumbled upon a picture online of some photoshop work of an exaggerated hockey style stripe and something about it just screams unique. Don't think it would fit with the racing stripes that I was originally planning to well and I am no good at photoshop to see. Guess it's good I have a couple months yet to decide.

This is that photo I was describing
Sorry man I don't like that stripe at all. Also mixing racing stripes and other accents IMO does not look good. Gald you got some more new parts. Looks like the weather is going to be better this weekend so I'm going to get to work on my car some-I'm pumped like you.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Sorry man I don't like that stripe at all. Also mixing racing stripes and other accents IMO does not look good. Gald you got some more new parts. Looks like the weather is going to be better this weekend so I'm going to get to work on my car some-I'm pumped like you.

Yeah I have since reassured myself that I am just going with the racing stripes that wouldnt look good at all.

So do I ever have an awesome story today... Went to UPS to get my hood and I see that the box it torn open with a visible dent on the hood. Filled a form out and had UPS sign saying that they recognized it had a dent and then called Summit Racing.

After a little while talking with them they said that they will pay for me to take the hood to a local body guy and have the dent professionally fixed.

I guess in the end it will be okay but you would think after paying an extra $120 for shipping that it would actually get here looking like it was supposed to.....
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-3-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-2-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

The car is looking good. I kind of liked the side stripes but yes, I think side stripes and deck stripes would be a bit too much. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Well got one of the grid style tail lights in yesterday. Bought from a member on here parting out an older z... Yet again shipping companies at their finest broke it on its way here. However it was just in the very corner of the light I was able to epoxy it back together and unless someone was searching for it you would never know it was there. Got it cleaned up and tinted just enough now all she needs is a good clear coat over the top and a partner to go on the passenger side haha.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-image.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Little update here... Been busy as hell with school and work so haven't got a lot done to the car lately. Started buying some little odds and ends like the set of grid style taillights and some random black interior pieces such as seatbelts. Big project has been with the louvers I bought about 2 months ago. I love the set only issue was that the plastic sides seem a little to thin for my liking and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving down the road with them... So I decided to pick up a gallon of bondo and start backfilling the sides until they felt sturdy.
One side is almost complete just needs a bit more sanding and maybe one more thin coat to level everything out nice.

.........Gotta keep telling myself 'just one step closer to paint!'
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-6-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-5-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Another small update... Summit racing is awesome. Took the hood to the shop to get it fixed and noticed another small dent on the side by the passenger fender that was determined to be irreparable. Called up summit and they immediately said that they would just ship out a brand new hood at no cost. They get another huge thumbs up from me... (Let's just hope UPS doesn't screw this one up!)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 AM

A lot has happened in the last 3 months. Car is finally ready for paint and just waiting on the painter to be ready now. A lot of trips to the U-Pull it yard has a lot of things ready to be put on once the paint is done. "New" tail lights, random pieces that were dented scratched or broken, and the most recent score yesterday... a near mint aftermarket passenger area carpet. Obviously someone bought it to start a restore, put the carpet in and then scrapped the car. $7 well spent there.
The other major purchase waiting to go on the car was a set of 18"X9.5" Corvette ZR1's in competition gray. Some spacers and a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar's and she's going to be looking pretty sexy.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-12-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-11-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Good project you have going there. Shame about the hood....I did something slmular to Ron...I drove about two hours to pick up my hood. I had the same box, same brand! The best China has to offer! lol

These shippers like Fedex, UPS can bend and ding up an anvil....amazing.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Had to test fit the carpet... Couldn't wait to get a glimpse of the new interior that's slowly coming along. Awesome IMO for the $7.50 I spent on it.
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-carpet.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro (Z28 Clone)
Engine: LB9|TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Looking good!!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Transmission: Auto

That carpet looks real good. I want to change my carpet from grey to black so I guess I'll be looking at some junkyards before buying new.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Yeah it's definitely worth looking at least. Saved enough that even if there are some imperfections it's still wayyy worth the $$$ saved.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Well as of now I have my wheels and spacers in the garage ready to go on and the tires got ordered last night. Should be all in by next Wednesday and mounted Thursday so hopefully will have some pics soon! Went with 285 40 r18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar's. Couldnt beat the price for the time being and down the road I will upgrade big time to either Pirelli P 0's or Bridgestone Potenzas.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Well wheels and tires are in and mostly mounted. Opening the boxes found a 1 inch gouge in one of the wheels but OEWheels is sending a new one already. Test fitting everything on the car and I cannot wait to get this thing on the road! Fitting the 285 40 18's in the front was a pain in the *** though. Lots of hammering and blow torching and also had to do some fender and ground effects modifications. Cut out a triangular piece of the fender on the back side of the front wheel well and cut a good section out of the ground effects right there too. everything seems to fit really now though so just waiting for the last wheel to come in!
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-13-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-14-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-15-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Couple more... Starting to get the stance I'm looking for!
Attached Thumbnails Why Not... Here she is.-photo-16-.jpg   Why Not... Here she is.-photo-17-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Just ordered a shaved door handle kit with wireless relays to control solenoids. Goin with the shaved look alllll over
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Well it's creeping up on 2 years now... Long story short I picked up and moved halfway across the country. Came down to Texas to finish up my degree at Texas A&M and the car is still sitting in new york all prepped and ready for paint. Hoping to get the funds to bring it down here soon enough so I can get the paint finished and finally be able to have some fun with the car!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:34 AM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: tbi 350
Transmission: not sure
Axle/Gears: not sure

Bummer you had to leave it behind
Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Be sure to post some pics when you do get it done. I am a sucker for blue camaros. The head lights will look good. I have blue halo's on mine just a different style.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Oh yeah this will get pretty pic heavy as soon as I can get the car down here... I've been going back and forth between two different shades of blue. Both are from a company called "thecoatingstore" as I have painted with their product in the past and love the quality. I'm bouncing back and forth between royal blue metallic and midnight blue pearl.

Royal blue metallic

Midnight blue pearl
Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 AM

This junkyard "restoration" has been one of the things I've been keeping myself busy with. Unfortunately I didn't take before pics but you can imagine they were your standard 30 year old tail lights...

I have another set on the car right now that have the tail light covers on them but just wanted a stock looking set as well.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: Torsen 3.73

Royal Blue metallic looks best IMO. I'm restoring my own 91 RS and I'm going with Summit Racings "Blue Metallic"
Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

If you're doing a change, I'm fond of the Midnight Blue Pearl myself.

Those lights look great. Wish I had a spare set that clean for the T/A.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Well it looks like after a solid two years of dreaming and planning I'm finally going to be able to get going on this car again... Having it shipped down in the next week or so and getting back into it. Plans for right now are pulling the engine as soon as it gets here and shaving down the bay and then getting the paint finally finished... Updates to start again soon!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

and shaving down the bay and then getting the paint finally finished...
Be careful how much you decide to shave, you can really spend an almost endless amount of time making the engine bay look nice.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
Be careful how much you decide to shave, you can really spend an almost endless amount of time making the engine bay look nice.
Yeah I am definitely not going to go as in depth as you have with yours... Don't get me wrong your bay is going to look fantastic when you get it all done I'm just not going to do quite that much. Just kind of some basics, relocating washer and coolant bottles and shaving their mounting points and just a real basic cleanup...

Quick Reply: Why Not... Here she is.