Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

Christine's build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi
Re: Christine's build thread.

Bit of an update. I've determined that the edelbrock 1405 I have, which was bought rebuilt, is broken in some way or another. No matter what I do, I can't get it to run at the correct a/f ratio, and it just stays pig rich. I'll be getting a Holley 80457 to fix that problem, so there won't be many, if any updates until then.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Decided that an old 70's quadrajet would be better than nothing, and cheap if I got one out of a junkyard....Well, I went to a junkyard today, and after looking through more than 10 cars AND trucks, didn't find a single one. But according to the manifold, they WERE on there, but someone got to them before me. I don't really have the money for a brand new carb, but the 1405 is leaking from the secondaries. I'm considering trying a junkyard a bit further out, but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone locally has anything, send me a pm or something. Or if anyone knows of a place where I can get a carb for pretty cheap, but a good carb, let me know. I still haven't done an oil and filter change yet, I'm waiting until I've got a carb that doesn't leak gas like crazy to do that.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Put the adapter on, and it runs a little bit better. Passenger side rod started knocking today, and after an oil and filter change, it's still leaking.

Last edited by Dakota W.; 09-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

After being pissed off for a day, and finally having rational thought return to me, I decided to pull the valve cover off the side that was knocking....No bent pushrod (It's hard to bend 3/8), but the rocker nut actually stripped the stud as it was pushed off of it because I had the valve too tight. I'm going to track down a new nut and stud, and redo all the valves.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by Dakota W.
After being pissed off for a day, and finally having rational thought return to me...
Sometimes you just have to walk away for a little while. I've done it many times.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

Alright, I'm pretty damn confused at this point. It's acting like the valves aren't adjusted again, but I already re-adjusted them with it running. Waited for lifter tapping, turned until it stopped, then turned 1/4 for preload. After reading around some more, I'm thinking that maybe I just need to keep them at zero lash? I'm wondering if it has solid lifters in it now, since it's not running right after tightening the rockers down a bit. I thought it had hydraulics, but I could be wrong. They're definitely flat tappet though.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I'm at a loss. I tried setting my valves at zero lash, and it still didn't run right, so I don't have solid lifters. So I tightened them up, and it still didn't run right. I know it's not running right because I can hear a slight hiccup in the idle(which is quite high, roughly 1-1500rpm). There is a very, very slight tick as well, almost like a lifter tick from the rocker not being tight enough, but not quite as loud. My friend thinks it might be a flat cam lobe, and I think it might be lifter related.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

So, after a long while of not messing with the car, I'm getting back into it. I've determined that my valves and lifters are in good working order. I've also determined that the carb gasket is dripping wet with gas after sitting for months. It has always been too rich, and I'm quite positive the carb is the culprit for all of my problems. The plan is to get a new Edelbrock 650 AVS carb, and possibly move up to an 800cfm carb. If anyone has any ideas as to why the carb gaskets would be soaked with gas, please chime in. The tank is vented. Next update won't be until late this month or early next month.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

I managed to get the turd running with the new carb, and even went a filled up the tank, thinking I could take it to work tomorrow. Well, as I pulled in the driveway a lifter started ticking again. I'm just going to order a set of lifters and replace them all, and check the cam for any flat spots. It runs pretty good, not great, when it's running, so I think the cam is okay.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Press in studs? I can't remember. If so run a straight edge across the top to ensure none are pulling out.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by naf
Press in studs? I can't remember. If so run a straight edge across the top to ensure none are pulling out.
They're screw in, and they're torqued to spec on top of adjustable guide plates. I'm waiting on the Auto Meter 2300 tach I ordered to get here, and then I'm going to try and see what's going on. I had a previous issue where the rocker was actually pushed off of the stud because I had forgotten to set that one particular locking screw. It just loosened up enough to be holding on by 2 or 3 threads, and then just popped the rest of the way off I guess. I was pretty sure I set all of the lock screws when I was adjusting them while it was running, and found out the carb was garbage.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, good news. The Tach came in, and works great(I hope, since I have nothing for reference that I know is accurate 100%), shows the OEM tach being WAY off. For example, factory tach says 5000, but the new tach says 3000. I re-did the valves, now that I have a decent carburetor, and have driven it back and forth to work twice (about 45mi) without the rockers backing off. My biggest issue now is a weird stutter/hesitation below 2-2500rpm, but it clears up and runs alright after that, and all the way up to 4500. I've got a friend who thinks my vacuum advance on the HEI distributor isn't working right. I also noticed low fuel pressure (3psi) after it had warmed up and was at idle, so I'm wondering if it's leaning out below 2500, and then the fuel catches up after that. Going to try mounting the pump closer to the tank, instead of under the hood, and see what that changes. If it doesn't help, I'm just going to have to shell out for an expensive edelbrock fuel pump. I'm also going to try and pick up a used MSD ignition box to see if the timing is the issue.
Current list of things to do is:
Different exhaust(Because noise complaints)
Hooking up the heater(For some reason one of the heater core lines was cold, so I'm going to bypass the heater valve altogether.)
Front tires(Bald Toyo proxes suck in the rain.)
suspension-Bilsteins all around with Summit Racing springs(It's pretty much gone from sitting for so long.)
4th gen rear diff and LCAs(Might upgrade the brakes at this point too.
T56 transmisison swap.

I probably won't be making much progress on this list any time soon due to unforseen expenses, but I'm posting it here to remind myself, as well as give info to those few of you who might be following this thread.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Well, Headgasket(s) blew on the way home from work today. The funny thing is, it was actually running flawlessly aside from overheating. Not really funny though, considering how pissed I am. I think I'm really done with it, this time. I have no possible way, financially, of fixing it. It's up for sale, and I'm up for offers. I'm also going to put an ad in the classifieds sometime soon, as well as craigslist.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Very disappointing.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I bought another car to get to and from work. It need some work, but runs and drives. I haven't been able to make myself make a for sale ad ANYWHERE for the Camaro, beacuse despite how much of a headache it is I enjoy the car. And owning a 4cylinder car makes me REALLY miss the V8 in the Camaro. So I'm going to propose a new build for it. I'm either going to take the 350 out, and have the machine shop tear into it, check the block, mill the heads flat, etc. Or buy a used LB9 and put the 350 crank into the LB9 block I already have with the parts out of the junker LB9, along with the heads. Or I buy new pistons and rods, bore the 305 I have to a 310, put the 350 crank in it, and try and find some Vortech heads and get a new intake manifold for the vortech heads. Keep in mind all of them will be carb'd. I'm sort of leaning towards the last option, because it gives me room to make an LB9 with a DECENT amount of power. Let me know what you guys think, if any of you are still following.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I'm back at it again, after many, many different things going on with my life. I'm fully committed this time and going to see things through. Currently, I've got a nice truck 350 sitting under the hood, and everything else is mostly the same. Right now I'm going to work on getting everything back in good working order so I can drive the car regularly, reliably. For now, I've got a teaser shot of my new garage.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Glad to hear your hanging in there with it!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Glad to hear your hanging in there with it!
Thank you, I appreciate the support! Current plans are a custom true dual exhaust running through the factory locations, oil pan gasket, and a high torque mini-starter. I'm also saving up to move....again...But once that is said and done with, things should be progressing much faster. I'll try to do, at the very least, monthly updates.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Quick update...I finally got around to installing the Spectre swivel thermostat housing and 180* thermostat. Currently still trying to chase a bog when the secondaries open, and I'm thinking a distributor rebuild may be in order. My plan is to move in July this year, and then after I'm moved I'll hopefully be able to throw some money at the Camaro.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Looking good
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

I apologize for the lack of monthly updates, but in all honesty I don't really have much to say on a month-to-month basis other than "oh, hey, I drove the car this weekend." But I did manage to replace my bald Proxes 4 tires on the front with some Falken Ziex ZE950s, which are a MASSIVE tire even for a 245/50/16. Which brings me to another thing I realized...the front wheels are able to fit a 245 tire with no problem, in spite of the factory size being 225. Things are pretty tight for me right now, so car stuff is done as time and money permits. As far as future things I 'want' to get done, a 4th gen rear end is most definitely needed because the current has a leaking pinion seal, and after it being out of use for so long (at least I assume that's the reason) one of the wheel cylinders has started leaking. Along with the rear, I was considering upgrading to the plastic fuel tank, but I'm not sure of that yet. I'll also be putting in Founder's adjustable rear LCA's and panhard bar. I also need to address the leaking oil pan gasket and valve covers...I'm pretty sure my valve cover leak will be fixed just by going to an aluminum valve cover. Anyway, I always like posting a picture with my updates, so here's one that was the result of me getting distracted while washing cars.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I believe I found the cause of my leaking oil pan. I don't think I'll ever be using second-hand oil pan gaskets again. The one I used was sitting on a motor that was never fired up, so it was assumed to be good. It wasn't. I have another couple of projects in the works for the Camaro, and I'll be sure and update for each one. Oh, and to those wondering, you DO have to lift the engine up until the bellhousing touches the firewall to get the oil pan completely out.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

Awesome car and funny story, my car's named Christine too! I wanted the car from the movie but went to look at my Camaro the day before Halloween last year, I decided she was too far gone and walked. I left the TV on and when I got home, the first thing I saw was Christine! Thought it over and decided it was meant to be, if I didn't save that car it was going to be made into soda cans. Bought it the next day and have been working on it since. It's almost a dependable car, but I'd really appreciate it if she'd start fixing herself too :P