Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it?

I am looking at buying an 87 Camaro this weekend. Everything seems good on it for the price. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and see if anything stands out as a problem or anything. I included what he told me though our emails conversations.

Original post
25k on 350 H.O. Crate motor and rebuilt t-5 107k on car. Always garage kept. G92 car dual electric fans oil cooler Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.45 gears 4 wheel disc brakes Holley 650 edelbrock performer rpm intake roller rockers comp cam slp headers Edelbrock cat back spohn subframe connectors hays billet steel flywheel center force dual friction clutch b&m ripper shifter autometer tach new radiator

Emails
There is a scratch above the rear passenger side wheel and the front bumper has some spots where the paint has come off. Also has some rock chips here and there. I have had this car since 2001. It was my daily driver for a couple years but I haven't licensed it since 08

The engine swap was done by the previous owner. He told me that he had the heads milled for more compression and also installed a comp extreme energy 268 camshaft. I've never had the motor apart but I believe it. You can see the roller rockers through the oil fill on the valve cover. It likes premium gas and will spark knock a little on lower octane gas. You may be able to back the timing off a bit and try lower octane. The swap was done in 2000 or 2001. I had this car out on the road about once every month or two. It stayed in the garage for winter. I didn't put many miles on it but I changed the oil once a year.

The car had also been freshly painted when I bought it. The only body work I know of is the drivers side fender and front bumper have both been replaced. Some truck cut off a pos dodge and I bumped its rear end I think it was around 2003. The rear hatch is latching but the pull down is not functioning correctly. I did pull out the motor and bench test it and it is good. I think it may be the reversing switch but haven't had time to pinpoint it. I got married and moved out of my bachelor pad that had a garage as big as the house. New house has one car garage. I've been storing the car at my parents for the past year and it is currently in my brothers garage. I just don't have the time or space for it so it's time to find it a new home.

I installed a centerforce dual friction clutch and hays billet steel flywheel on the car soon after I bought it so it has about the same mileage as the motor and transmission. The front tires are brand new and I actually can't remember when I put the rears on but they are about 80%. The car does need an alignment. The outside edges were worn on the old fronts.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Re: Is it worth it?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

How much $..
Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain
How much $..
$5,500 my bad I though I added it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I think it seems to be good deal from what I can see it looks like a really nice car inside and out and with a 5spd its gotta be a lot of fun.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM

Nothing seems out of the ordinary for the upgrades? Like it's missing something that would case a problem? Also does 25k on the motor make sense for being a daily driver for a few years and the basically storing it from 08?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Well no heater/hoses and such. Mystery wires under the hood. And 107K on the body. Little cleaning up under the hood.
Good start.
Drive and see. Take it down the road a few. Get it hot, start it/turn it off. Look for leaks after its warm. Check the oil...is it filthy and low...look at the antifreeze....is it a nice green or just rusty water....does the rear end howl durind accel and whine on decell???

Things like what I mentioned is what would be good things to check. Don't EVER judge a book by its cover.

The last thing you need is to spend $5500 on a pos, not maintained basket case.
PS: Don't mean to burst your bubble.....I'm on my second trip around the block, if ya know what I mean. Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Well no heater/hoses and such. Mystery wires under the hood. And 107K on the body. Little cleaning up under the hood.
Good start.
Drive and see. Take it down the road a few. Get it hot, start it/turn it off. Look for leaks after its warm. Check the oil...is it filthy and low...look at the antifreeze....is it a nice green or just rusty water....does the rear end howl durind accel and whine on decell???

Things like what I mentioned is what would be good things to check. Don't EVER judge a book by its cover.

The last thing you need is to spend $5500 on a pos, not maintained basket case.
PS: Don't mean to burst your bubble.....I'm on my second trip around the block, if ya know what I mean. Good Luck!
Dont be sorry. I came here looking for help for a reason, for people like you. People that own/have owned a car like this.

I have a video of it running, but I have to compress it down so I can post it here. It sounds good to me.

The wires I thought was for the tachometer and maybe an amp at one point. But good questions to ask him.

Ya last thing I want is a POS. I was looking for a not really project car. I understand its an old car and things go wrong but I just wanted to do as little work as possible right away.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 AM

new info****

I sent some more pictures showing the heater hoses. The AC is long gone. No compressor or condenser. The heat works but the lever that slides from hot to cold is not functioning correctly. The lever is attached to a cable that has broken on the end that is supposed to attach to the air blend door. Also the cable for the e brake has broken/come loose. And to top off the list of bad things I took the car through the automatic car wash the other day and the radio antenna got bent pretty bad.

Is that major stuff? expensive?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R

For 5500 you should be able to find a pretty decent stock Iroc with the TPI and AC in the low 100k miles, granted you havent already purchased the vehicle
Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Javier87z28
For 5500 you should be able to find a pretty decent stock Iroc with the TPI and AC in the low 100k miles, granted you havent already purchased the vehicle
I was going to go today. But there isn't much out there around me. Everything is Auto and I what stick.