Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

First time drag racer, How to pass tech?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 sports coupe, 1984 F41
Engine: 3.8L Turbo SFI, stock 305
Transmission: 700 R4, 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, 3.08:1
First time drag racer, How to pass tech?

Hello everyone, I have been building up my street car for a while now, and I am thinking about taking it to test and tune sessions next year to see what it can do. What I would like to know is, having never raced at a track, what do I need to do to my car to ensure it will pass the tech inspection?

My main concern is the battery (it's been relocated into the spare tire well), I made my own hold down and tray, but it is not in a sealed box. It is also hooked up with a "twist to turn off" disconnect switch on the positive side battery cable (mounted through the pass side tail light lens)

What kind of helmet will I need? I have a DOT approved open face motorcycle helmet (doesn't cover my ears) will that work?

At what speed/et do you need a roll bar/cage?

The car is a daily driver, and I don't plan on competing in any race series, so I'm just not sure what tech rules I need to follow. I read some of the IHRA rule book, but found it confusing and it seems to mostly apply to professional racers/ purpose built cars.

I would like to get any issues sorted out over the winter, so there are no surprises when I actually head to the track.

Any help from those more experienced at this would be awesome, Thanks!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: First time drag racer, How to pass tech?

Your battery will probably not pass tech. It needs to be secured in a sealed and vented container. Behind the spare tire panel will probably fail. I have no idea how it's mounted and secured so I can't comment on that.

Your master disconnect sounds fine but the switch must have off clearly marked and it must kill a running engine when turned off. It can't be made of plastic or keyed. If you decide to mount it in a push pull position, push must be off.

I don't believe a 1/4 or 1/2 motorcycle helmet will be allowed. It should be a 3/4 helmet meaning it will cover your ears. Again, it's usually track rules. At 14 seconds and slower, you may or may not need a helmet. If you do then any helmet like I just mentioned will do. 13.99 and quicker normally requires a Snell(M) or SFI(SA) rated helmet but track rules may allow a DOT helmet down to 12.0. You can buy a motorcycle Snell M2010 helmet and be good for many years before it's considered outdated. If you wait until spring, you might be able to pick up a M2015 but they're not always out that early in the year.

Track rules normally determine when a roll bar is required. For hardtop and t-top cars, the rulebook ways at 11.49 you need a roll bar. A full cage isn't required until you hit 9.99 in the 1/4 mile but at that speed you also need a bunch more requirements.

In the IHRA rulebook, you only need to follow general regulations and the ET/BR section
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks,

It sounds like I have some changes to make. I have been checking out the sealed battery boxes through Summit racing, and I'll have to replace my disconnect switch because it is plastic, neither one is a big deal to correct. A roll bar may be in the cards eventually, my goal is high 11's with my current setup.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Built 383, Vortech SC
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44, True Trac, 3.54

It looks like you have built a nice car/good set up there. I cant emphasize enough that you get to the track and RUN IT! You will never REALLY know how fast/quick it is until you go down the track. What did you spend all that time, effort and money for if you never know how it really runs on a real racetrack? Oh, not to mention you will have the time of your life. You'll probably hot lap it! Life is way to short, grab it while you can.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Thats the plan! The car is a blast to drive, but I know there is more in it, and running it at the track is where I'm going t find out what it can really do. Convincing my wife that its a good idea may be another battle in itself. There are other things i'll need to learn like proper staging and how to launch a turbo car, but that will come with practice.