Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

SCCA CAM-T class petition

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC Z/28
Engine: 5.0L TPI. Custom Tune
Transmission: 5 Speed/ Pro5.0 short /hurst stick
Axle/Gears: 1LE 10 bolt Rear/T2R 3.45 PBR/disc
SCCA CAM-T class petition

Dear ThirdGen friends,

I am considering a move to the SCCA CAM class for next year because there are very few CP cars around here and a LARGE number of CAM cars having fun here in the region. I went to look up the rules and found that 3rd Gen MUSTANGS are in CAM-T (Traditional) whereas the Third-Gen Camaros are in CAM-C (catch-all I think). The 3rd Gen Mustangs ended production in 93 only 1 year AFTER we did, there is NO reason why i can think not to class them together.

So I followed the SCCA procedure and wrote the Solo Events Board a Letter.

Don't Copy my letter blindly and send it, but if you are an autocrosser in the club and if you ever plan on running CAM in your car, please write a letter. I have heard that a re-org of CAM is going on for 2015 and it's probably our time to get our thoughts in there. This would allow MANY MORE of our Third-Gen brothers to compete with the Mustangs from the same era.

--- my letter below -----
Nov 5, 2014
SUBMITTED VIA: http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/44964
Dear Solo Leaders,
I am writing in hopes of influencing the pending re-organization of the CAM classes. As a 14 year member of the SCCA I have had a lot of fun with my car and this new CAM class has me excited about what ELSE I can do with my car. I recently have gotten excited about the Pro-Touring world outside of SCCA and I am planning on trying out Street Tires and moving my car to the CAM class in 2015. I went to read the rules of the CAM-T and CAM-S classes and found a discrepancy that I am writing to bring to your attention which seems to be perhaps an oversight. The Cam-T rules specifically state
“Cars will be broken into two classes:
o CAM –T (Traditional):
•Gen 1-3 Mustang, Gen 1 & 2 Camaro/Firebird, “

I wonder why the rules include 3rd Gen Mustangs (fox body), but not 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird. As I examine the differences between the 3rd Generation Mustang and the 3rd Generation Camaro/Firebird, I notice that they are specifically quite competitive. The 3rd Generation GM cars ended with the 1992 cars, the 3rd Gen Ford Mustang cars ended with the 1993 production year. Technology was VERY similar in these year cars. Both cars are classed as FS, ESP, CP, in fact the top cars in those “traditional” SCCA classes are often 3rd Gen Mustangs or 3rd Gen Camaros. (Mike Maier, Darrel Padberg, Mark Madarash, Buddie Jasman, Ron Ver Mulm, Sam Strano, Rich Shaffer, among others).
It seems that the live axle concerns are NOT there because the technology of solid axle Camaros and mustangs are the same and very competitive with each other. I am officially requesting that the SEB add the 3rd Generation Camaro/Firebird to the CAM-T class for 2015 as you consider your re-organization of the class in order to keep Chevy on par with Ford in this ruleset as it is with the rest of the SCCA rulebook.
And finally, I would like to again thank the SCCA for your wonderful work, hard as it may be, to keep this sport vibrant, safe, with great sites and equal rulesets, as much so is possible. Overall you do a great job and I appreciate the hard work you and your staff put in every day for the membership.
Sincerely,
Brian LaRose
#15 C-Prepared, soon to be #15 CAM
Reference: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...es%20Rules.pdf

Last edited by BrianChevy; 11-05-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: SCCA CAM-T class petition

I've never followed the rules of SCCA but Mustangs have a big weight advantage over third gens and is probably why they are in different classes.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
I've never followed the rules of SCCA but Mustangs have a big weight advantage over third gens and is probably why they are in different classes.
While they have a weight advantage, its never helped them on the road courses. The 3rd gen f-bodies always scored top marks for handling over the mustangs. With negatives in acceleration and braking. 1LE fixed the braking issues though. All in all, the 3rd gen was the better overall performer on road course tests.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM

The point of CAM class for SCCA is to allow the Pro-Touring folks (and the folks in clubs like ThirdGen.Org and FoxBodyMustangs.Org) to race their cars with a similar pro-touring setups without having a million SCCA rules to figure out. In 99% of the rulebook these cars are classed the same, CAM only exception.

The point of my letter is that in this new CAM class, with 2 divisions CAM-T and CAM-C, the mustang generations 1-3 are in CAM-Traditional while the Camaro generation 1-2 are in CAM-T.

The third gen camaro and firebirds are bumped into the CAM-C (Contemporary) class and my point is that it doesn't seem to make sense. To have third gen compete with modern vettes and mustangs instead of 3rd Gen Stangs (which is fair).
Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Agreed. Im on board.

So what is hte new email address? Im skimming through and it's just talking about how the old address doesnt work?
Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Vortex, thanks for the support. They've DONE AWAY with the email letter program and are doing a web submission. Go http://crbscca.com and just type in your details.

I appreciate it, they are doing a class reorg, and making the C6 and C7 vettes go a different place (because they are TOO fast to compete with older camaro and muscle cars), and THIS change to ADD 3rd gen is an easy button for them (i hope).

EDIT: In the drop down, just select Prepared and then C-Prepared and it will go to basically the right folks.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 PM

well, FORGET ABOUT IT. I got a reply and the whole thing is a mix-up on the Mustang end. They didn't know that the 3rd Gen mustangs ended at 1993, they thought they ended in 1979. shish...

Oh well, they'll patch it up and we'll move forward. My car won't be eligible for CAM-T anytime soon, but at least the mustangs will get some clarifying language.

http://mustangs.about.com/od/history...ng-history.htm

it does seem ODD that 65-73 are all GEN 1.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56 w/hurst short throw
Axle/Gears: unknown

I think they addressed your issue since the Contemporary division is from 1978 and later. I agree with the SCCA because the third gen isn't an old school muscle car like the second gen is.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Engine: 1.3l Renesis
Axle/Gears: \

Don't mean to spoil the party, but I heard on good authority from a member of the SEB that the SEB does not actually have any control of the CAM rules. Apparently they (the rules) come from higher up than that.

I usually like to run stock classes (I run H street currently, looking to move up to C street in an RX-8 at some point) but I will be running CAM-C at the tours and nationals this year. Hope to see you there@

Last edited by B4CHawk; 01-01-2015 at 02:09 PM.