Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Finally...12's on Opposite Sides of the Country

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 629 Likes on 530 Posts
Finally...12's on Opposite Sides of the Country

It may not seem like much but it was kind of my own personal Drag Week.
I've a consistent mid 12 second car at my old home track in Ontario (Canada) and after having moved across the country last fall, I'd hoped to be racing before the season was over. That didn't pan out as I missed tech on the last race of the year by about 45 minutes.
This years first outing was a disaster. I struggled with the season opener track prep (was by most accounts wasn't very good). 60' times were never better than 2.0x when by PB has been 1.71. Then there's the altitude and the DA of the day. It put a real damper of my time slips and ran 13.0x at about 105. Best at the home track is an uncorrected 12.64 @ 108.
Last night, while the DA was still up around 3800', the prep was excellent I was approaching my best. 1.84, repeatable. Maybe my ET Streets still have some life in them after all.
That helped my ET as I went 12.91-12.95, four passes in a row although my MPH is down at 105.
Interestingly, the DA corrected times between the Ontario track and the one here in Edmonton, Alberta were almost identical at 12.4 @ 108.
I've obvious fuel issues too as the AFRs go dead lean at the top of 2nd and then again halfway through third. Pretty sure fuel is boiling in my non-return mechanical pump arrangment. Time to install the Carter pump with the 3rd line.
Anyway, mission accomplished. 12 second passes, 3500 kms apart and 1500' change in elevation (going up).
Thanks for listening.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro/99 gmc Z71
Engine: 357/5.3
Transmission: built 700r4 4500 stall/4l60
Axle/Gears: 4.56/?
Re: Finally...12's on Opposite Sides of the Country

Congratz man, good to hear things workin out. When I went last weekend the track prep was very bad aswell. They don't have events and stuff there it is jus a test track and only 1/8 mile. It used to be a lot nicer but the new management don't really care I guess.

Its good to see when people meet there goals, figured id chime in and congrat you. You helped with my car and I appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Not sure why I bothered to post it other than the old saying,
"Say you going to do something.
Do it.
Show you've done it."
I'll post up again when I've figured out how to deal with the new track and altitude.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by skinny z
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Not sure why I bothered to post it other than the old saying,
"Say you going to do something.
Do it.
Show you've done it."
I'll post up again when I've figured out how to deal with the new track and altitude.

Any updates on this? Did you run at castrol?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jay123
Any updates on this? Did you run at castrol?
There was no racing at all for me in 2016.
After the troubles I was having with fuel supply and vapour lock and also knowing that my heads were in need of a refresh I took things apart over the winter of 15/16.
It wasn't until the fall of last year that I finally had the freshly ported and flowed heads (from AMS engines in Edmonton) installed. I added a Holley Blue pump, an adjustable return style regulator and a -6AN return fuel line.
I also wanted to install the bigger cam I had on the shelf despite my compression not quite being where it should to make it work properly. My gearing and converter where a little off the new engine combo too but I was looking for a wholesale change in engine performance.
Turns out none of that would matter much in the short run.
During testing and tuning in October, the car was turning into a stellar performer with what I felt was going to be a quicker combination overall even with the mismatched parts. It had a lot more steam north of 4000 rpm and pulled like a freight train to 7000. Even my fuel economy on the highway improved to 24 MPG (IMP).
Then, at the top of the one/two shift, BANG! The input spline of my torque converter let go...that was it for the year. I had two whole weeks on the road.
Since then, I've had a new transmission built (Stage 4 700-R4) and have stepped up with a higher stall converter. This has a meant a new crossmember and the crossmember means a new y-pipe has to be fabbed.
The car remains in pieces...
But, thanks for asking.
My hope is to make it to Castrol at least a couple of times before the season closes this fall.

Last edited by skinny z; 06-05-2017 at 09:14 PM.