Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Never been to the strip!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: Sbc With h/c/i/e holly4150
Transmission: 700r
Never been to the strip!

I was just wondering if there is a guide on TGO anywhere to help someone first time to the strip. Something that covers EVERYTHING from what you need to pass tech to race prep to burnout box and getting down the tack and even recording after race data.

I believe nerves are the worst part of your first time down the track. My feet were shaking so bad the first time I went that I could not stage the car.

So If there is no such Thread anywhere maybe some of the veteran racer on here can collaborate and we can get some new people to the tracks.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Never been to the strip!

I've been doing it for years, and would like to see that...

The best advice I give newbs is.... "dont **** up". Seriously, they laugh and relax a little, and off they go...

Besides that, make some friends that have already been doing it while. They can look over what you got, and go from there. Hang with them a weekend or two before diving in. If you don't know anyone, go to the track and find someone with a similar car, and strike up a conversation.

As far as pre and post prep, make sure your car is safe, nut and bolt it, take care of any leaks, and stuff. 95% of that is common sense, the other 5% is in the rule book. After you KNOW the mechanical stuff is good, it'll be less to worry about, the rest is mental. It sucks to be pulling to the starting line, and questioning if something is going to let loose (and as a budget racer, I've done it plenty). The best way is to get out there and do it to figure out what works for you. Observe what others are doing, and weigh what they are saying against what they are doing.

Racing is as much mental prep as mechanical. Understand you will make mistakes, the hard part is to keep level headed, and learn from the mistakes, and keep trying. As you get more experience, you'll learn not to "blame the other guy" and start asking "how could have I handled it better", then you'll really start getting good at it. Of course, that works with anything...

It's better to try it out on a Wednesday, and not a national event, and might want to warn the guy in the other lane, or ask for a solo.

My 75 year old grandma wanted to 'surprise' us this weekend, and she entered the trophy class without telling us... and didn't tell us until first round (missed the 2 time trials). I warned the track manager, and he radio'ed everyone, and dad rode along for the first round... I dialed her at a 20.00... and she went a 20.55 lifting, with a .8 reaction time. It was one of the best things I've ever seen at the track, the announcer played right along, and the pass brought the house down.

Granted, you probably don't have to go to this extreme, but if my 75 year old grandma can do this, well....

Here, the starter came out to line her up.

She got back to the pits, and wanted to go again... We've created a monster.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/index.html
here's a site with bracket basics. Michael Beard is a very good footbrake racer and is extremely knowledgeable.
http://www.dragraceresults.com/
This is another good site for info.
Most tracks don't do enough to welcome new racers, most act like it's a club and they don't want outsiders. Find a friendly local track if possible and watch the footbrake class. See who is approachable and they should be able to give you some pointers.
What type of racing are you wanting to do, or are you just wanting to make clean passes and improve your car?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71

Originally Posted by no green
I've been doing it for years, and would like to see that...

The best advice I give newbs is.... "dont **** up". Seriously, they laugh and relax a little, and off they go...

Besides that, make some friends that have already been doing it while. They can look over what you got, and go from there. Hang with them a weekend or two before diving in. If you don't know anyone, go to the track and find someone with a similar car, and strike up a conversation.

As far as pre and post prep, make sure your car is safe, nut and bolt it, take care of any leaks, and stuff. 95% of that is common sense, the other 5% is in the rule book. After you KNOW the mechanical stuff is good, it'll be less to worry about, the rest is mental. It sucks to be pulling to the starting line, and questioning if something is going to let loose (and as a budget racer, I've done it plenty). The best way is to get out there and do it to figure out what works for you. Observe what others are doing, and weigh what they are saying against what they are doing.

Racing is as much mental prep as mechanical. Understand you will make mistakes, the hard part is to keep level headed, and learn from the mistakes, and keep trying. As you get more experience, you'll learn not to "blame the other guy" and start asking "how could have I handled it better", then you'll really start getting good at it. Of course, that works with anything...

It's better to try it out on a Wednesday, and not a national event, and might want to warn the guy in the other lane, or ask for a solo.

My 75 year old grandma wanted to 'surprise' us this weekend, and she entered the trophy class without telling us... and didn't tell us until first round (missed the 2 time trials). I warned the track manager, and he radio'ed everyone, and dad rode along for the first round... I dialed her at a 20.00... and she went a 20.55 lifting, with a .8 reaction time. It was one of the best things I've ever seen at the track, the announcer played right along, and the pass brought the house down.

Granted, you probably don't have to go to this extreme, but if my 75 year old grandma can do this, well....

Here, the starter came out to line her up.

She got back to the pits, and wanted to go again... We've created a monster.

Thats AWESOME!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1990 , camaro
Engine: 572 bbc
Transmission: power glide
Axle/Gears: 5.14

Sounds like you have some great advice already. Like the guys said, have fun but be safe, you want to be able to go home and race another day. Don't be cheap when it comes to your safety equipment. As your car gets faster you will need more safety equipment. It is a lot easier to throw the money down for a nitrous kit then it is for a good helmet, c-clip eliminator kit, or a drive shaft loop. lol

Don't go out there thinking you are going to win every race, and don't be a poor sport when you lose, it is going to happen a lot.

Be respectful to the other drivers and they will do the same to you. Ask questions, but have good timing. Don't try to pick a guys brain when he is running around trying to get ready for next round of eliminations. Wait till things calm down.

Keep a log book. Write down what changes you make to the car. Tire pressure, burnout length, water temp at the starting line, shift points, etc. See what works best for you and your car.
Get a routine going, do the same thing every time you pull up to the line. It will help with your consistency.

Don't worry about making mistakes, they are going to happen. like it was said above, learn from them but don't let them own you. The more you practice the better you will get. The better you get the more consistence you will become.
That's when the real fun starts to happen
Practice , practice , practice.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KWIK84
Thats AWESOME!!!
She's comming down to QCR tonight, if it stops raining, for some T&T action

Be respectful to the other drivers and they will do the same to you. Ask questions, but have good timing.
Good advice right here. If you're respectful and courteous, you'll gain friends fast. You show up with a chip on your shoulder, you'll be surprised how many people will try to put you on the trailer.

Last edited by no green; 09-04-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

No such thing as a dumb question.... So ask if you are not sure. Ask the tech guy, ask other racers, ask the staging guys, etc.

For most street cars on test & tune nights tech will be simple. I'm not sure of your combo or est ET's but most street car guys will just need
helmet
long pants
closed toe shoes
all 20 lug nuts on your wheels
rad. over flow bottle/jug
no loose items in the car
battery fastened down, not just sitting in battery tray
no worn out tires with bald tread or cord or wire showing
have a function seat belt.

DRIVE AROUND AND DO NOT GET INTO THE WATER BOX WITH THREADED TIRES!!
The water box is for slicks, I don't even like to use it for drag radials.

If running slicks, drive around water box and back your rear tires into the box.

Idea is threaded tires will carry water down the track and water makes the track slippery.

Never turn across the track in front of another driver... If your return road is on the right, right lane has right of way and you do not cross into the right lane until the right lane driver turns onto return road.

Same goes if your return road is on the left. Left lane has right of way.

Out of respect for other racer, do not stage until other lane has at least pre staged.

Everyone is diff, but I like to try to pre stage before the other guy. This gives me a few seconds to clear my mind, take a deep breath and go over my routine... X switches on, limiters set, etc

Then he pre stages, then I roll in and trigger the stage lights.

Don't hold the race up too much, but do not stage until you are ready to race. Think of it kind of like gun safety... Finger off trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Don't stress it too much. You are there to have fun. Everybody screws up, everybody was a 1st timer, so don't worry about it.