Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

TRuSTART Rolling Out Nationwide

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: 358 SBC
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 4.56s
TRuSTART Rolling Out Nationwide

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...-go-nationwide

Since TRUSTART will be rolled out nationwide and with 35 tracks already ordering the new system, this could potentially be a huge change in bracket racing.

What are everyone's thoughts on TRUSTART?

In my opinion, I like the change. As I am usually the slower car, this will eliminate the "easy wins" for faster cars and even the playing field.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: TRuSTART Rolling Out Nationwide

It shouldn't affect anyone who really knows how to race. All trustart does is awards a win for a double red light to the racer who gets the better red light.

Currently when you launch first and red light it means an automatic win for the other racer. The other racer just has to sit there until the green light comes on to get a clean pass. Since the timer doesn't start until the tires break the beam, he still gets a full run if he wants it knowing that he can't lose with a breakout. He can also idle down the track after the green light comes on for a win without hurting anything on the car.

If the first racer gets a green light and the second racer goes red, he will still lose with a red light and the first car will still win even with a breakout.

Trustart only really does anything if the first racer goes red and the second racer reacts too quickly and also goes red. A -0.001 red will beat a -0.025 red no matter which racer got the -0.001.

For a bracket race, this may not be seen very often but in a heads up race such as super comp, super gas etc, it can make a big difference as to who goes to the next round since both racer launch at the same time. Those cars use delay boxes so again, you probably won't see a double red very often.

Moving into the faster categories such as ProStock, Funny Car etc, they don't have the luxury of using a delay box so Trustart will be a big change for them.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1990 , camaro
Engine: 572 bbc
Transmission: power glide
Axle/Gears: 5.14

Being one of the slower cars in super comp I also like the change.
Like Alkey said though I don't think you will see it come into play as much as you would think.
It will most likely only come up with cars who are very close to dial ins of each other, or as he said the heads -up classes.
It will be interesting to see though.
Thanks for the article.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: sbc 383
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11 gear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does trustart effect heads up racing at all? If the only change is that now instead of the slower car redlighting first being the automatic loser, the win is delayed to see if the faster car red lights worse or not. In a heads up race the tree will be coming down at the same time. The person who has the worst red light will lose either way here? Even without Trustart.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1990 , camaro
Engine: 572 bbc
Transmission: power glide
Axle/Gears: 5.14

Maybe a more clear way to say it is it may change the outcome of those races but not the way a racer reacts.

Lol
My first comment sounded a lot better
In my head .Just didnt make it through to my keyboard.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM

That's why I like top bulb racing with a delay box. My delay box is adjusted so that's it's very difficult for me to red light. If I red light, I've reacted way before the top bulb comes on and if I do red light, it's not very red. If I can constantly red light, I just add more delay into the box so that I can't red light. If I'm dead slow off the light, it's a human error and the delay box can't fix that.

I also have a chance to hit the tree a second time. If I feel I was too quick or slow off the top bulb, I can push the transbrake button again which will turn off the delay box timer and let it go when I see the last yellow light come on. Even when I'm the faster car and launch second, I'm just sitting on the start line at an idle waiting for the top bulb to come on. The starting line enhancer allows me to keep my foot right to the floor and the engine at an idle. When I let go of the transbrake button, the throttle then snaps to WOT. I can sit there and give an opponent an 8 second head start if I have to and I'm not burning up the converter sitting on the 2 step. I'm only up on the 2 step for just over a second before the transbrake releases. I think I have something like 1.045 set in the delay box.

Like I said, anyone who knows how to race will probably never see this trustart system working.

Even in a heads up race, both cars can double red. If they're using a pro tree, it's highly unlikely since the tree activates so quickly. With a full tree with the yellow lights counting down, it's still easy for anyone not using a delay box to red light. A good example would be Stock/Superstock. When one class races another, it's just a normal bracket race with dial in and breakouts. If 2 cars in the same class are paired against each other, it becomes a heads up race with no breakout. These guys will hit the tree hard and a double red is very possible.

I've done a pro tree a couple of times. I can't use the delay box. You need to be ready to go at WOT as soon as both cars are staged. As soon as all the yellow lights come on, you need to be already moving to cut a good light.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: 358 SBC
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 4.56s
I was at maple grove this past weekend for the super Chevy race. With roughly 800-1000 cars entered in the 4 classes, I saw or heard about 6 instances where TRUstart would have changed the outcome of the race. While it is a small percentage of time, I think it is more relevant in the footbrake classes of street and pro versus super pro. In any case, if the red light won't go on until after both cars leave, it is fair to both racers.

I am anxious to see what tracks will be installing TRUstart and how it will interface with existing compulink systems or if it is an entirely new system that tracks will have to purchase. I am lucky in that our home track uses compulink 2012 but from what I read some tracks are running much older versions.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: sbc 383
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11 gear

It was my understanding that TRUstart will only be applicable to bracket style racing. Think about it... If you are racing a heads up race, the racer who redlights worse will lose anyway as they will have left first.

The only time TRUstart will be used is in a bracket style race where racer A has a dial in (for example) of 18.10 and racer B has a dial in of 12.50. If racer A goes -.001 red the race in today's world would automatically be over and give the win over to the Racer B who is dialed in at 12.50. This is defeating the purpose of bracket style racing where they are trying to promote that every single racer has the same advantages to win. Now, TRUstart is being initiated to level the playing field. Now, in this same scenario, if TRUstart was activated then if racer B goes more red than -.001 than the race would be won by racer A in the 18.10 second car.

For anyone who bracket races in their regular points series on the weekends or at the big dollar footbrake and no box races will see this making a difference. While i don't see it being a big one, it will make a difference.

One thing i disagree with, is that this effects the Pro stock, Top Fuel, and Funny car drivers. They leave on a pro tree that is in a heads up race. This will not effect them in the slightest as whoever goes more red would lose the race the same today as they would if TRUstart was activated for them.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

this makes sense and will be helpful to the slower guys. if you have the fastest car on the lot, chances are you will watch alot of people redlight in the other lane. this change means you had better have your junk working on the money as well with no mistakes.

-if i am understanding this correctly.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:36 AM

Makes sense. If you have a 2-3 second head start and red light, you won't know if you won or lost until the second car launches.

Now I wonder if you did turn on the red light like that. Would it show a green or red light? If it showed a red light then the second car would know that you left too quickly and would just need to sit there until their green light was on to prevent from red lighting. It it showed green even though you went red until the other car launches to determine if it's a double red or not, the second car would not have the advantage of knowing if you went red or not. To me that would be more fair however if I launched first and turned on and saw the red light, I wouldn't have to run the entire track at WOT because I know I gave up the race. by going red.

I suppose a way around that is to shield all the bulbs. That way you can't see any of your opponents lights and you're strictly running your own race.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

yea they need to not reveal the redlight to the other guy, imo... since it is still a race at that point. could keep the bulb green until both cars are launched maybe (once both trees have come down all the way).
this also adds another dimension to bracket racing on top end. if you are racing against a guy who has redlit badly, and you are still trying to get around him on top end.....
Old 07-24-2016, 03:47 PM

But once the second car launches, if both have gone red, the best red would then win and the win light on the tower should light up. Wouldn't be any different than me getting a 3 second head start then seeing a win light come part way down the track. I would then know my opponent had turned on the red and no matter how green my light was, I still got a win.

So if it was a double red and the second car launches with a better red, would he see a green light or a red light and a win light on the scoreboard?