Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

88 gta build

Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 PM
LDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2012 Impala ltz 1988 Gta project
88 gta build

I am working on getting my 88gta back together and on the road and track.
I bought this car for peanuts but it needs a lot of work. Right now I am in the midst of using a painless harness and rewiring the car to work with a carburated 305.
For a while as i continue to fix this thing up and drive will working on it I want to start out and learn drag racing. Thought i would come here and get some inputs. This car when i bought it was gutted. Harness was cut ever where so it got pulled stripped and saved for connectors only. I purchased a cheap running 305 and a cheap 700r4 just to get on the road. My plans are to get it back in one piece and take to a chassis shop and have a set of frame ties installed. Debating on a cage or not. Goal is 11s to 10's yet still streetable. Since I am currently doing all the wiring I am planning on putting the battery in the back right corner.
I have no converter and since its street strip would you recommend with the tiny 305 should i just go stock? My final drive train will be an ls. But i want to drive the car to bad to wait for those funds. I am all stock suspension it has the Australian rear in it.
Car is still fairly gutted. No heater components at all no interior at all. Got most the dash back together. No carpets no insulation. no rust one good thing. Suspension is complete but shocks are shot. brakes are complete as well.