Pacific Region Regional board for Pacific Third Gen owners.

gear-to-gear timing and TPI

Old 02-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Z/28
Engine: 355ci. /only connecting rods stock
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter auto
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23 :(
gear-to-gear timing and TPI

ok, so i've started to put together my engine and I really REALLY want some noisy gear-to-gear timing to go in it. But every place I find them for my application, they tell me that they wont work with fuel injection. The problem lies in that nobody can tell me (not even the ppl who work at the parts place) WHY it cant work. because i REALLY REALLY want them on my engine? does somebody know anything about this subject? and if it's the truth, what is the best for the TPI engine? Dual roller perhaps?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 AM

Car: 94z28 & 91 b4c
Engine: Lt1 & 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Both Auto
Just a shot in the dark,not positive but if you have any type of knock sensor,I think the noisy gear drive will be picked up by it and retard your timing.Not sure,but just ran across some probs on a 93 vette that had a big cam and other internal mods put in and the knock sensor picked up the noise and kept retarding it.But like I said,not positive.
Aloha Thomas
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
They say this because the gear drive will create alot of noise which might possibly affect the knock sensor. If the knock sensor picks up this noise (which will actually be a certain range of harmonics) then it might possibly retard the timing because it thinks its sensing detonation when its actually not. I personally think people always say this because the possibility is there and they want to cover their butts incase it did happen and nobody knows what to do or whats going on. Of all the people I've heard this from, not one person has been able to prove it to me yet. Our cars use ESC/EST which means the timing is electronically controlled by the computer (ECM). The ECM will take input from the knock sensor and then depending on whats programmed in the PROM it'll do something. So this means two things, first we can use a scantool to see the knock counts the ECM is receiving in real time, and secondly we have the ability to modify the PROM to act differently when it senses knock. You could program the PROM to retard less timing if the knock sensor did get false knock, some even disable the knock sensor alltogether at certain parts of the powerband, generally at WOT since detonation will most likely happen at cruising speeds or under load (like up a hill). Also, you have the option of changing the knock sensor to one that senses a different range of harmonics. I think with these three things combined, there is a very good possibility you will be able to run even the noisiest gear drive with the TPI setup and be OK. It might not be a bolt on deal with no worries, but there are ways to solve any problems that might come up. There are a few guys on these boards that run the Pete Jackson "quiet" gear drive on TPI w/ the stock PROM and stock knock sensor and no issues at all. But so far nobody has stepped up and said the "noisy" ones work too. I happen to have a Pete Jackson "noisy" gear drive I planned to use on a carb'd motor and I've decided to use it on my next engine build (EFI gen 1 SBC). I also have a scantool and the tools to count knock and modify the PROM. So I'm gonna be doing a comparison between my current engine w/ regular chain and my next engine w/ the gear drive. The EFI system and knock sensor will be the same for both setups so it should be a viable test as far as comparing knock counts. But this will be a while so I dont have any answers on that right now. If you want to do this ASAP I say go with the Pete Jackson "quiet" one since alot of people are running this already with TPI and no issues at all. Check out this thread for more info ...

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...gear+drive+TPI
Old 02-25-2006, 03:32 AM

Car: 94z28 & 91 b4c
Engine: Lt1 & 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Both Auto
Holy crap,looks like I might be right for once,a lot better post you did Duck,thank you.
Aloha Thomas
Old 02-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Car: 92 Z/28
Engine: 355ci. /only connecting rods stock
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter auto
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23 :(
wow, were your fingers bleeding after that one? thanks for the info though, u really know ur stuff! im thinkin about not tryin to fool around with the quiet gears at all, and have it cause problems down the road. i think that i'll just play it safe and go with the dual roller chain. i know that there will be a difference in the performance obviously, but im really getting tired of running into problems with this engine. i just want to finish it now and put it back on the road so i can whoop some butt. thanks again, later - chris