Pacific Region Regional board for Pacific Third Gen owners.

Calling all KIWI'S

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 firebird 500 le
Engine: 350 chevy with 305 heads
Transmission: street/strip 700r4
Axle/Gears: chevy 10 bolt
Re: Calling all KIWI'S

Hey mate,
Just got the firebird running sweet as had the 650 holley rebuilt new plugs, leads and had the timing done,an a new 120gph holley fuel pump the car wants to get up and go now! Although I've just put in a rebuilt trans the bloody console gear selecter has **** itself so I cant use it at the moment but I've got a B&M megashifter on its way for it. Also brought a spare firebird hood off trademe $172 absolute bargain!, mint condition however it has a big holle cut out in it because last car had a supercharger, but I wanted one to chop around as im putting a cowl induction hood on it in the near future. How are you getting on with your vortec build?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by natdowson
the bloody console gear selecter has **** itself so I cant use it at the moment but I've got a B&M megashifter on its way for it.

Funnily enough I fitted one to the Camaro just before we went away

Name:  20141102_172721_zps562a8c59.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  46.0 KB

Works real well, although a bit stiff too start with.

The engine build is still getting there, still getting all the parts together.
I nearly have all I need, just working my way through the small stuff.

I have quite a pile of stuff sitting in the dining room. My wife goes off about it all there but I tell her I like looking at it lol

Name:  20141102_174134_zpsf3fe3190.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  43.2 KB

Doesn't look much but most of it is there. The crate engine lives in the shed for now.

Best thing is, she likes the car as much as I do so she has been all for me buying stuff for it.

Last edited by loopy; 11-01-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28 Black 4" cowl
Engine: 355 4 bolt vortec, lunati 262 cam
Transmission: homebuilt TH350 2000 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42 detroit truetrac

Hi guys only just checked back here, so good to here about other kiwi third gens. anyway here is some pics of my 82 z28 have spent most of the year building it up and getting it sorted, just got a WOF on saturday and took it down to taupiri to check out swap meet on sunday and she was just purring! i love it.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all KIWI'S-image.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Heres another
Old 11-02-2014, 05:09 PM

Just reading about guys getting parts. I use a place by auckland airport called AFWE advanced four wheel equipment. They bring in containers of stuff from california and if you email them part numbers etc they can get it on the next shipment for you. Its way cheaper
Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Hi Fields

Nice looking car mate. Congratulations!

I esp like the Gilmer drive, looks sexy as.

Shame I didn't know you were in the Waikato. I was in Hams for the last week. Would have been good to meet up compare cars etc
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 AM

Hey man,
Nice car! wish my engine bay was that clean! LOL
what mags are you running on it?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 AM

I have quite a pile of stuff sitting in the dining room. My wife goes off about it all there but I tell her I like looking at it lol

Mate I have the same problem of boxes of parts sitting around inside but its my mum that complains as I still live at home LOL
Thanks for letting me know how the B&M shifter is I was wondering if they were any good.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 AM

Thanks for letting me know how the B&M shifter is I was wondering if they were any good.
I think you'll like it. I do, but like I said its pretty stiff but loosening up with use
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Hey Guys yea would have been good to park up, there was another third gen at the swap meet too, usualy there are a few that float around and attend most events in auckland but it suprises me that they are not more popular being such an good affordable american car. but doesnt matter i love driving mine man, ive had lots of holdens and this feels waay more soilid!!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Hey man,
Nice car! wish my engine bay was that clean! LOL
what mags are you running on it?
Cheers it took abit of work to strip all the **** out of there, ive just got summit fast five 15" (copy of weld prostar) i really like em, had some ugly boyd coddington things on there before
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 AM

Hey guys how are all you guys getting on with your cars?
Well I've just had to take mine back to the transmission shop to fix it pretty gutting after I removed and fitted a newly rebuilt trans had it going sweet then it just gave up the ghost no forward drive only reverse. So out it comes again i'm probably going to put a high stall torque converter in since its coming out again. What kind do you think I should put in 2500 or 3000 stall converter? I have also now fitted the B&M megashifter looks good but don't know how it will shift as I cant drive the bloody thing!
Cheers look forward to hearing back.

Last edited by natdowson; 11-21-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: more to add
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 AM

Hey guys, whats up?

I've just started stripping down my new engine, gonna start taking some parts into the engine shop shortly and the the big rebuild will finally start happening,

What about you'all?
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 AM

Hi Nat. Missed your post sorry. That's pretty gutting alright. Is it under warranty? And was the tv cable properly adjusted? There's also adapter (geometry correcter) brackets for edelbrock and Holley carbs that you should use too. Not sure what you run so just sayin.

who built the trans?

Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by loopy; 11-21-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 AM

Regarding the stall converter, wouldn't that depend on the cam your running?

What are you running in your car? I know it's a 350 but thats about all
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 AM

Hey Geoff,
I think its running a stock camshaft but not too sure as it does have a bit of get up an go. The trans is still under warranty but there now telling me that I should have put a new converter in as it probably had metal in it but they told me and charged me to recondition the old torque converter so at the end of the day they are still at fault. The geometry corrector that you are talking about I have purchased one from holley and fitted it but did not make any difference, I think that they have put something back into the trans wrong, the rebuild shop is called Kaspa transmissions in Silverdale you've probably seen them advertised in the Petrolhead they say they are experienced in classics but I am beginning to wonder!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 AM

Hey Geoff,
I think its running a stock camshaft but not too sure as it does have a bit of get up an go. The trans is still under warranty but there now telling me that I should have put a new converter in as it probably had metal in it but they told me and charged me to recondition the old torque converter so at the end of the day they are still at fault. The geometry corrector that you are talking about I have purchased one from holley and fitted it but did not make any difference, I think that they have put something back into the trans wrong, the rebuild shop is called Kaspa transmissions in Silverdale you've probably seen them advertised in the Petrolhead they say they are experienced in classics but I am beginning to wonder!
you'll see how good they are when they honor the warranty or try to weasel out of it.

As for the converter, I don't think a high stall converter would be good on a stock engine. Especially 3-3500 rpm one. They're generally used on cammed engines to allow the engine to hit the cams powerband before they reach lockup.

Theres lots of very experienced people on here, you should ask in the auto section .
Old 11-21-2014, 03:05 AM

Thanks man I'll let you know how I get on with the trans. Hopefully I'll have it finished before Christmas.
Cheers Nat.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Hey Geoff,
Thought i'd just let you know that I have decided to keep the stock converter after talking to some of the guys on the forum. And I have an update on my transmission its been pulled out and the workshop cant find anything that would of caused it to play up, so hes going to go back through it again with a fine tooth comb, hopefully he finds the problem as I was hoping to have it back on the road ready for the annual Kumeu hotrod show! On the bright side I've just had my two new flowmaster mufflers turn up so when I get the car back its then got to go to the exhaust shop and have its block hugger shorty manifolds fitted and hedman exhaust cutouts(purely for drag racing of course!) and the flowmasters to give it a deep rumble. Will let you know more about the trans when they find out the problem. And I was just wondering if you are coming up for the Kumeu show 17th-18th Jan 2015, fingers crossed I will be attending! I'd say Fields will be bringing along his Camaro so would be good to catch up.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:23 PM

If he cant find an issue, that's a good thing I suppose. On a new rebuild it could have been something as silly as a stuck valve.

I have family down this Xmas so taking holidays then which means no trip North for me I'm afraid. Bummer, I would have liked to catch up.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Hey Geoff,
Thought i'd just let you know that I have decided to keep the stock converter after talking to some of the guys on the forum. And I have an update on my transmission its been pulled out and the workshop cant find anything that would of caused it to play up, so he's going to go back through it again with a fine tooth comb.
Got your auto back yet mate?

I was just thinking re the mega shifter.

The instructions say it is critical that the cable is adjusted correctly so that the selector sits correctly for each gear. The hole you use is also critical.
I don't know if it blew just after you fitted the selector so, just saying!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by loopy
Got your auto back yet mate?

I was just thinking re the mega shifter.

The instructions say it is critical that the cable is adjusted correctly so that the selector sits correctly for each gear. The hole you use is also critical.
I don't know if it blew just after you fitted the selector so, just saying!
Hey Geoff, nope the transmission shop has still got the car and box as I thought it would be best for them to fit the trans properly just in case I had fitted something wrong. I rang the guy the other day and says he has pulled it out checked it and bench tested it sweet so he fitted it back in and still no luck (no forward drive) so he reckons hes going to play around with the governor maybe fit a new one and well go from there. The megashifter was fitted properly and the whole trans set up was done correctly I got the mechanic to check before he pulled it out just in case it was something simple, but unfortunately not. The trans was starting to play up before the megashifter was fitted that's why I got it I thought the original shifter was stuffed, but yeah im getting pretty fed up with autos now, thinking about it now I should have done a T56 conversion would've been cheaper and made the car worth a bit more not to mention the buzz of driving a v8 manual But i'll let you know more when I finally sort the problem out!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Hey Geoff, nope the transmission shop has still got the car and box as I thought it would be best for them to fit the trans properly just in case I had fitted something wrong. I rang the guy the other day and says he has pulled it out checked it and bench tested it sweet so he fitted it back in and still no luck (no forward drive) so he reckons hes going to play around with the governor maybe fit a new one and well go from there. The megashifter was fitted properly and the whole trans set up was done correctly I got the mechanic to check before he pulled it out just in case it was something simple, but unfortunately not. The trans was starting to play up before the megashifter was fitted that's why I got it I thought the original shifter was stuffed, but yeah im getting pretty fed up with autos now, thinking about it now I should have done a T56 conversion would've been cheaper and made the car worth a bit more not to mention the buzz of driving a v8 manual But i'll let you know more when I finally sort the problem out!
how much for t56 mate?

Can you get them up your way?

I'm ummimg and ahhing about whether to do up my auto or putting a manual in.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by loopy
how much for t56 mate?

Can you get them up your way?

I'm ummimg and ahhing about whether to do up my auto or putting a manual in.
You can get them between $3000- $4500 depending on what gear ratio set up you want they have these boxes in later model holden commodores so are relatively easy to find it is possible to get them a bit cheaper than what I've stated and if you do the conversion its another $1400 for clutch pedal, crossmember, driveshaft ,flywheel. The main price for the box includes clutch but not flywheel. In my opinion it would be a great investment although I only have this opinion because of the troubles i've had.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 PM

oooooH that's scary.
I think I may have to build a tough 700r4
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Car: 84, 85 Camaro Berl. 1999 Corvette.
Engine: 305, 400, LS1 350.
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, 6 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: Factory

Originally Posted by Base91
Hope you all have fun down there! What do you guys have to put up with in the way of vehicle inspections, taxes, modifications, emissions, petrol prices etc.?
Ah yip. The lifestyle isn't too bad buddy. The fuel emission laws are pretty good so far. & petrol has come down to NZ 1.70/litre.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 PM

Good news finally have my Pontiac back an running like a dream after nearly a year! The problem with the trams was a cracked case as the upper valve body is actually part of the case so was a hidden problem. So over the moon just got to have headers coated and have my new flow master mufflers all fitted then it will finally be cruising time��
Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 PM

Hey Nat...... good news!

I'm gonna be in hamilton 21st and 22nd Feb. Will you be going then?

Would love to meet up
Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 PM

Not to sure mate are you only coming as far as Hamilton? Cause if you're coming up further north your more than welcome to call round cause I'm about 80 km North of Auckland I've just gotta sort this exhaust an get a warrant shouldn't be too hard to get one as it had fresh warrant when it was parked up but yeah might be able meet up if I can get this exhaust done! What's happening 21st & 22nd of feb is there are car show on?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Nah mate. My son's 21st.
Gonna bring the camaro for a drive.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 PM

Sweet as mate I'll let you know if I get this exhaust sorted by then if I do I'll cruise down to hamilton
Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Cool, that would be good.
Maybe fields be free too?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:09 AM

True that'd be a good idea aye might be able to cruise down with him cause I think he doesn't live far from Auckland be cool to have a few third gens out cruising!��
Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by gunwelda_66
Ah yip. The lifestyle isn't too bad buddy. The fuel emission laws are pretty good so far. & petrol has come down to NZ 1.70/litre.

Hi Gunwelda, hows it going!

Got some pics of your third gens?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:15 AM

True that'd be a good idea aye might be able to cruise down with him cause I think he doesn't live far from Auckland be cool to have a few third gens out cruising!��

Yeah , I reckon
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 AM

How are You Bud. I'm Gabe from Taranaki in the Nth island. I have 2 Berlinetta's, 305 targa top, 400 hardtop, both with 700R4 Trans. I also have a 1999 Corvette. I sent You & 2 other Kiwi's a friend req. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Hi Gabe, added you as friend and replied to your PM.
Welcome to the Kiwi thread!
Theres a wealth of information on this board and some very knowledgeable people that can help with pretty much any issue you may face.
I have learnt a heap since joining here.

I'm hoping we can get enough people together in this thread to have a big meet one day. I would love to see a convoy of third gens tripping around........one day maybe!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:42 AM

Yeah mate I'd be keen for a third gen meet & welcome Gabe good to have another kiwi join us on this forum and just like Geoff was saying I too have learnt heaps of info. Suppose I should've introduced myself my name is Nathaniel I've got an 83 pontiac 500 Le 350 chev street/strip 700r4 that is finally running mint had a few problems with the rebuild but all sorted now, I have also added your friend request.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Sounds good Geoff & Nathaniel. I need to Do something about the trans. in the 400sb Camaro. We'll be in touch. The other requires more work so that one won't be going far for a while. i posted some more pics to my profile. I just need to keep in mind that the pics have to be of a lower pixel quality to upload to here. I have some Vids that i uploaded to my FaceBook "GunweldaSixtysix" & Youtube gunwelda_66 accounts of my 99 corvette speed/acceleration tests. The start vid of the 85 i'll add to my gunwelda_66 acc on youtube. Cheers. Great to meet You's.

Last edited by gunwelda_66; 01-22-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM

Hey guys happy new year yep im keen to go on a cruise at some point im in pukekohe so hamilton is a great drive. Ok while we are doing the introductions im nick have 82 z28 355 vortec motor instaled th350 and 2800 stall before xmas and will be adding detroit truetrac over the long weekend which i have been waiting aaaages for but its finaly thru customs etc. ran the car down meremere a couple weeks back with the 2.73 open highway gears and got a best of 13.7 so was pretty happy. Stock 305 and th200 it ran 17.8!! But high 12's is the goal. Next thing is some hoosier quick time pros but theres always a next thing aye!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM

Heres some pics from xmas
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Rear
Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 AM

I bought mine with the 400 already in it. I think the previous Owner just acted dumb (like i did, & it got a warrant lol. I'm wondering how mine passed as it still has the drum brakes in the rear. Plus it's a hard car to pull up with 410hp in front of it.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by gunwelda_66
410hp in front of it.

Wow bet that's some fun
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 AM

What size tires on that Nick?

I went into Mag and turbo tonight to get some mags for my jeep and a couple of wider rims and tires for the Camaro, couldn't bloody believe it, the turkeys couldn't give me a price on any of it!

I walked out , what a crazy way to run a business
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Yea i know they are dumbasses aye and usualy so full of them selves and think they know it all. Places like that and repco drive me crazy you have to stand there and watch them look thru their computer with a stupid look on their face. Ive grabbed the catalouge out of their hands
Before and looked up my own parts before!!

Ps sorry for the rant haha
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM

275/60/15 cooper cobra on the rear
185/60/15 front

Got all the info for that on this site. Saves so much stuffing around just being able to buy the exact right stuff straight up
Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM

I've just found this thread. I'm in Christchurch and have an 84 TA. I ran the 305 at Ruapuna quite a bit and with an RPM intake, Holley 600 and headers got 14.5@97. I put a 100 shot on it and got 13.3@107.

I've just built a 400 Dart SHP block, AFR210 heads, 240,245@50 0.6 lift solid roller cam, 3200 Circle-D torque converter. I'm just pulling the old motor at the moment.

Good to see there is a bit of activity on here from local lads.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris
I've just found this thread. I'm in Christchurch and have an 84 TA. I ran the 305 at Ruapuna quite a bit and with an RPM intake, Holley 600 and headers got 14.5@97. I put a 100 shot on it and got 13.3@107.

I've just built a 400 Dart SHP block, AFR210 heads, 240,245@50 0.6 lift solid roller cam, 3200 Circle-D torque converter. I'm just pulling the old motor at the moment.

Good to see there is a bit of activity on here from local lads.
Hey there CD good to see ya. I'm just south of blenheim.

Sounds like you got a beast there. Love to see some photos ......
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Wow im still drooling from the specs on that 400 build! Solid roller cam now thats not holding back!

13.3 from the 305's pretty good whats your experience been like with nitrous? Like cost vs hassel is it worth doing etc? Im thinking about small blower or nos myself

Quick Reply: Calling all KIWI'S