Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Supercharge or Turbo 92 camaro rs? Newbie here, really need help!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 v8
Supercharge or Turbo 92 camaro rs? Newbie here, really need help!

Let me just open by saying....I know absolutely nothing about cars, or turbos, or superchargers or engines...I just recently bought my first car. She's a 1992 Camaro RS with a stock 305 v8 engine. I love her very much. <3

So I want to do some modifications to her down the road, and I'm just trying to learn and do my research now. Anyone who would be willing to give me links to good sites, reccomendations, or just teach me about this stuff would be great!

At the moment, I'm seriously considering supercharging her. Buut..would it be better to turbo? I'm not going to be racing her, at least, not seriously and not at a track. I don't really understand which would be better...what do you think?

Also I wanted to get dual exhaust installed with some flowmasters. I know nothing about this as well, hehe. I know I could just get a...y pipe, is it called? But I really would prefer true dual exhaust with...an H pipe? Is that it?
Is it even reasonable to get true dual, or would I be just as well off with a Y?

And the flowmasters. I was looking at the new 44's. But I really don't know. I want the engine to be LOUD. But not squeaky loud. Low, growling, chugging loud, if ya get my drift. Are these good, or is there something better? And finally, what does the size matter? I'm seeing all this stuff about 2", 2 1/2"....3"...is bigger better?

Yep, I'm a newbie, but I'm here to learn, and I really need your help!

And lastly, can you reccomend any other modifications to her?
Thanks!
Fid
Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Re: Supercharge or Turbo 92 camaro rs? Newbie here, really need help!

why dont you just take that money that your wanting to buy a turbo or supercharger kit with and find you a good 350 block and get a rotating assembley kit that includes pistons and all that and rebuild the 350 and get a nice cam and some vortec heads and some long tube headers for dual exhuast. you can use all your accessorys off your 305 on the 350 also.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Car: 2 camaros 1 trailblazer SS
Engine: 346twinturbo, 383tpi
Transmission: t56 and 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:46 4:11

I have had supercharged,turbo,twin turbo, an nitrous cars.

Hate the supercharged cars the most.

I know i an going to get hell for this but here it goes.

turbos are cheaper and easy to adjust power(boostcontroler). I know can be added to a supercharger on a BOV. I think it is cheaper to build a turbo kit than a supercharger. As in a turbo setup headers are part of the kit as a supercharger (say $4k) you still need headers ($500-$1000).

SC- eats up drive tain power due to the belt.
turbo uses exhaust gas.

Turbo due however get heat soak on the intake side, so they real need intercooler.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Car: 87 firebird none soon
Engine: None
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: 2.73 10 bolt

how much money would you put into your car in terms of performance parts and labor, expect to pay thousands like 3k for 300 hp in a 350 more than that in a 305, what kind of fuel system do you have i suggest you spend a week and about 10 hours reading every thing that you are interested on modifying on your car then post back.

not that we aren't glad to help it is just easier the more you know and just to think we'll know more then as well.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Car: parts of an '83 Z-28
Engine: disassembled and scatered about
Transmission: sitting on the shop floor
Axle/Gears: two of them

There's two types of turbo setups that are commonly used on our cars. There is the twin turbo setup that uses diffrent headers that set the turbo's right above or behind the accesories. Then they feed into an intercooler which is mounted infront of the radiator. From the intercooler, you would have one pipe then feeding into the throttle body.There is also the rear mount setup. In this case the turbo replaces the muffler in the back of your car. You put a filter and splash gaurd on the intake side of the compressor and run a 2.5 inch pipe foward to the intake.The twin setup is more efficent and has better driveabilty. (spools fast, feels like a larger motor than what you have) This setup, however, cost more and is more difficult to install than the rear mount style.The rear mount is very simple to install but because of the distance from the motor it has more lag (the boost kicks in later and at higher rpm's). It still makes plenty of power but it feels diffrent.Both setups will need oil lines going to and from the turbo, along with all the nessory devices to controll the boost, timing and fuel.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Car: parts of an '83 Z-28
Engine: disassembled and scatered about
Transmission: sitting on the shop floor
Axle/Gears: two of them

As far as selecting between a turbo and a supercharger, I would defently go with a turbo. SC's are great for drag cars that run a quater mile at a time. The entire time the engine is running the motor is under severe stress. This is OK on a race motor thats made to handle it but would signafantly shorten the life of a lesser built engine. A turbo, on the other hand, works off of load. If your crusing at a steady speed, the turbo's not making much if any boost. But when you nail it, it spools up and makes more power when you need it.Basicaly you'll get longer engine life out of a turbocharged car that a supercharged one.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 305 ci LG4
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 non-Posi

Turbos are more efficient being that they use exhaust gases to spool the turbos to create an air charge. However, there is what they describe as "turbo lag" where you have to wait for the turbo to spool up before you hit full boost. Superchargers are my personal preference. There are two types; a roots style which usually sits on top of the intake manifold and below the carb annd is powered by a belt from the crankshaft pulley (just like your other accessories like A/C, power steering, alternator,ect.), the other is a centrifugal style which actually is similar to a turbo but instead of being spun by exhaust gases it is also powered by the crankshaft pulley via a belt. Being that they are run of the engine they put drag on it and even though they make power the engine incurs parasitic HP loss. However, superchargers= instant power as soon as you dig into the throttle, no turbo lag here. MPG with a supercharger is not as good as with a turbo, but you have to look at the pros and cons. Some supercharger like Eaton have bypass valves which help out in driving manners and MPG. Look at some production cars like the Corvette ZR1, Mustang Cobra, Gran Prix GTP, they all have roots style superchargers, in contrast other production cars use turbos. I do disagree that superchargers put destructive stress on your engine, though. If you build your engine around the supercharger you should be fine. However, if I was you I would first ditch the 305 you have for a 350; economically and logically it makes no sense to build a 305. Like the other person said though spend some time looking around this forum and other websites to understand the concepts, http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ is a great resource to learn car basics, that way you will be able to create your own opinions. And try to drive both a turbo and supercharged car to get a better feeling of how they deliver their power.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Thank you all so much for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

See the thing is, I won't be installing any of this myself. I don't know a thing about engines, I mean, not a thing. I pop the hood and just kinda get lost looking at all those gadgets and gizmos. Believe me, I intend to learn and I am, but I would never be able to put a new engine in, or install an SC or a turbo on my own, let alone would I try.

See, I just want this car to be able to smoke the '88 firebird down the road, and turn a few heads. I won't be taking her out drag racing and I'm not gonna be challenging guys at stop lights, if you get my drift. This is my first car and first and foremost it's gotta be my daily driver.

I don't know if I really want to drop a 350 in it. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for an engine, where to find someone to put it in for me, let alone someone I can trust with my baby.

The superchargers appeal to me more because I don't like the idea of lag, not one bit. I'm more into being able to hit the gas and just roar the heck out than having to wait until the RPM's get up.

And...this is a bit embarassing but...I just found out I have dual exhaust. Hehe. I don't know...I really don't know how I missed it. I was looking at several camaros like mine and a few of them didn't have dual exhaust and I just never paid much attention to that detail when I bought mine...and I looked and I have dual exhaust. Don't think it's true dual, but hey, it's dual! That makes me kinda happy. =)

Could I...could I supercharge and twin turbo it? Is that utterly ridiculous?

See...I'm content with my car the way it is now. Honesly I could never modify it and still be madly in love. She's amazing. Buut....the thought that i could make her even better is enthralling. That I can make her louder, faster, stronger, is exciting! However, she is never going to be seriously raced. I just want her to have the power. Soo...given this information, what would you say?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Realy a wast to SC and turbo and one would push the other and it is a wast of money.

Turbos and SC are very easly to install just nuts/bolts. Clocking the turbo is the only mistake I have seen= very bad.

Adrian87Camaro is not %100 right on the hole lag as a smaller turbo will spool faster but a twin turbo you would never know. However trans/stall/gears play a big roll too.

Take my 01" camaro 2 turbos gt37R true ball bearing and water cooled Specialed ordered from Garrett in Japan. INCON people know. Anyways my can sits at 1200rpm when running(due to injectors/pump) at 2500rpm all lag is gone. and the needle snaps from 1200rpm to 2200rpm very fast.

I wish i had more lag (maybe with a bigger FMIC I will. Oh and the car has a 2stage NOS 75hp and 125hp. <--That was dum but it works.

Car makes just under 1000hp on 92 pump but with the DFI and wide band O2 with a flip of a switch can take C16.

So If you are scared of lag twin or even single with a small NOS shot. With the right setup it is safe. I have dynoed my car dozens of times and on a FI car little NOS goes a long way as it cools to. Like a 50hp jet (dry) dynoed 76hp.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 AM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 305 ci LG4
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 non-Posi

yup, he's absolutely correct. smaller turbos do spool faster, look at the Bugati Veryon's turbos, 4 of them and they are super small, and its supposed to be the fastest accelerating car in the world (supposedly, but the videos are insane) no lag there. Regardless of what power adder you decide to go with trust me its going to take a mountain of will power for you not to want to smash down the freeway or challenge someone at the red light. Oh yeah I don't forget about smog laws, I know they make some smog legal sc's but im not too sure about turbos.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM

The other thing to keep in mine here is "displacment" are v8 5.7 motors (lsx or tpi 350) both make good power as is. When compared to say a honda. I made 306hp on motor only. and with 9psi I made 560hp and 596trq.

With nitto 315 tires(23psi) I was on the freeway driving 70mph. Forgot what gear I was in but I could tap the gas and hear the turbo spool. Car full spool at 3000rpm so have all the power hit the tires. Next thing i know I am spinning out of control seeing cars coming straight at me. No damage but I slowly got of the road and waited to relax. And this was the street (500hp-600trq) setting.

So the point is first you need a power number you are shooting for then pick the right turbo. If not you will over spend and have a useless car Like I do. It is cheap to to it once then over and over again.

I have every bolt/weld on product available on the market and i can't get power to the ground on the street and have to change 4 parts and tires to hook on the strip. So it is always detuned. Just food for tought.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Ok… a few things to consider…

There is no way that a turbo setup is going to cost less than a SC setup on a thirdgen, not with the same quality parts…. Kits just don’t exist like they do for 4th gens and some other cars, so if you can’t build it yourself you’re going to have to pay someone to fabricate it, which is going to cost A LOT more than just bolting on a bracket and a supercharger.

For that matter, the cost of bolting on a turbo setup itself, even if there was a kit out there for your car, would be more just because there are more things you are moving around and they are things that are a bigger hassle to deal with.

Second. Turbos are not more efficient because they’re exhaust driven. Yes, driving an SC off and engine crank uses hp, but putting the turbo in the exhaust stream causes pumping losses which effectively does the same thing, saps some hp from the engine to drive the turbo. You’re generally at a wash there.

Compressor efficiency… well for a long time turbos were designed by industry to be used in production environments, where centrifugal blowers originally took larger turbo compressor wheels and spun them slower to move the same air, which is a less efficient way of doing it. BUT, more recently, SC compressor wheels have been designed specifically for that application and compressor/adiabatic efficiency can be a wash now.

Positive displacement blowers are a totally different world… they usually do have a lower adiabatic efficiency (they add more heat to the air charge for a given boost), but some of the newer designs like the eaton and lyshom screws make up for it with an incredible volumetric efficiency. Eaton has done tons of work with these things for use on production vehicles, and with their factory bypass opened they draw less then 1/3hp to turn, resulting in mpg decrease that generally is so low that you can’t accurately measure it, AS LONG AS YOU DON’T GET INTO BOOST WHERE THE BYPASS CLOSES and obviously the engine will use more fuel.

You can’t do that with a turbo. It is always a restriction in the exhaust stream, always costing you something, and a bypass like is used on an eaton blower would be dangerous on a turbo because it would allow the turbo to spool unloaded giving it no control of compressor rpm potentially overspinning it.

Lag… there is some debate over what is properly defined as lag, but I’ll ignore that in this discussion. If you size a turbo for “normal” driving, especially on something like a big, American V8 you’ll find that it doesn’t really exist. You can size it that basically as you roll your foot into the throttle the turbo spools up instantly, even so fast that you would end up “chasing” it with your throttle pedal at cruise speed and it would be annoying. If you size the turbo like you would for a race car (max efficiency at high rpm) then obviously it will work the best at that rpm.

Centrifugal blowers, well they move more air as you spin them faster, barely work when you spin them slow, so if you have them connected to an engine their power curve makes perfect sense… big boost up top and nothing in the low to midrange.

Positive displacement blowers are interesting… when setup right they basically will have within a couple of lbs of the same boost across the whole rpm range when the throttle is floored. My brother’s car has an Eaton M90 adapted to it and a home made bypass that only closes when the throttle is floored, and if you look at the data logs you’ll see 10psi +/- about a psi from wherever you floor it (even below 2K rpm) till you hit redline.

So what would I recommend? Well that depends, they all have their place, but personally, I’m not a big fan of centrifugal blowers. Most of what I’ve built has been either eaton, Kenny bell (roughly a lyshome screw) or turbo based. What would I recommend to someone that will have to pay someone to do all the work on a 3rd gen… well, unless you have some deep pockets your only real choice is a centrifugal setup (ATI/Vortech/Paxton) since they are the only ones that make a kit. If you’re going to pay someone to fabricate something then I’d recommend that you drive a few cars with each and decide what YOU like the power band of best. Actually, you might be able to get one of Magnussun’s generic SBC setups (they use eaton blowers but I’m not sure if they’ll fit) to work, or one of the old school roots setups (probably wouldn’t recommend that even though it would be the cheapest solution).
Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 PM

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1002

www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1844

I didn't realize the lack of turbo kits for 3rd gens. But I know I can have a turbo kit built for under 5k. So if a DI-SC (my second SC) was say $4500 and Good headers are $700-$1000. Lets do a single turbo say 1k,FMIC $500, 2 headers piped to one turbo pipe down (to cat area), pipes to fmic and then to tb $2500-$3000 retail prices here.

And even if the turbo was the same as a SC what happens when you need to boost. You need pulleys from Procharger. I did that twice.... $$$ and time. Turbo just a little $50-$100 turn the ****.

I can see a twin getting to be more money. My TT kit was 10k but I can change my power from 400hp-890hp with a push of the BC button. So if a person out grew the P1 or D1 what is the cost of a new charger in compared to a turbo?

I don't think money is too big of a deal with this person. He asked if he could SC and TT the same motor!

But BANG FOR THE BUCK is NOS. No where near 5K and you can bolt on hundreds of horsepower.

I didn't know about these new superchargers you where taking about very interesting I have to call my uncle (high up in easton). See if I can get one on the Trailblazer SS. Anyways I am sure a roots or screw charger is much cheaper than a Procharger. I then could very well be wrong.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM

I don't think money is too big of a deal with this person. He asked if he could SC and TT the same motor!
Hehe, I'm a girl, lol. But yeah. My car is more important than my money. And with big things like this, I'm okay with spending more to get what I want, because either way I'm going to be spending alot. Plus I'm not jumping into this right away. There are a few other things I want done to my car before I supercharge her, and so I've got plenty of time to get the money together. It's no rush. =)

(Especially 83 Crossfire TA) Reading all these ammmazzing replies, I think I will be going with a supercharger. I just can't get around the idea of lag, and I'm not going to NOS it, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Soo, I've got it settled that I will be supercharging her. Now it's just the decscion of which type...ahh. Choices choices!!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

well you jsut have to consider it like this, either you put an SC on there and put a draw on your engine, which can cause problems on a street car if you get on it alot, or you can deal with a 2-4 second "lag" where the turbo has to spool, if you were going to go for the TT setup, mihgt as well do it up good, do a sequential setup (might want to learnmore about turbos and just how fast they can get you up to speed though) Sequential if im not mistaken is a T3, and a T4 turbo, the T3 is smaller, which means it take less time to spool, so your "lag" wont be there and the T4 is larger, and can boost alot longer. It can be dangerous as hell but ill admit its pretty fun. Just make sure you engine can handle the power from it all, SC or TT, whats the sense in throwing 5 grand into your engine to watch it fall apart?

And Just a sidenote.....wouldnt she need a new tranny like a t-56? I remember the whole 350 to t5 issue and wouldnt forced induction replicate those torque problems??
Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM

yeah my turbos are t3/t4 but as far as the trans there are many options.

I like powerglide.

But 700r4 can handle alot.

I broken a LONG list of parts like (2)12bolts,BMR torque arm,(2)T56,(1)350TPI, and (1)LS1
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

well like everyone says, build it rihgt and you wont have to play with borken parts lol
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4u92z
Wow, talk about hitting the extreme ends of the scale… that seems pretty pricy for an ATI kit, but I haven’t priced one in over a year or so (used to work for a speed shop).

As far as the SSautochrome turbo setup… well there’s some history there (do a search on the board), but they’re the extreme low end WRT to turbo parts and as far as I know they killed what was left of anyone making turbo kits for 3rd gens.

As far as I know (and someone correct me if I’m wrong), but I don’t believe that any of the better domestic turbo kit makers (like hellion, pro turbo kits…) make anything for a 3rd gen

But I know I can have a turbo kit built for under 5k. So if a DI-SC (my second SC) was say $4500 and Good headers are $700-$1000. Lets do a single turbo say 1k,FMIC $500, 2 headers piped to one turbo pipe down (to cat area), pipes to fmic and then to tb $2500-$3000 retail prices here.
And I’ll point out that this isn’t the price for a complete kit like the ATI. You’re piecing together stuff that you like into somewhat of a kit, which, 1- someone that does not understand how this all comes together will never get this to come together correctly, and 2- assume that you’ve never been there/done that before and don’t have any spare parts floating around, you know as well as I do that there are tons of things that will add to that cost. Not only big $$ things like fuel pump, plumbing, regulator, injectors, engine managment… upgrades, but even small parts like tubing, clamps, couplers, misc hardware… adds up REALLY fast on a project like this. None of this is an issue with a good blower kit.

Now how about the install… there will be orders of magnitude difference between a talented monkey following a set of directions inserting bolt A in hole #129 with the supercharger kit vs the actual semi talented fabricator that can weld up headers/manifolds. Not only is that fabricator going to cost you more $/hr, but there will be more hours involved in what he is doing.

I can see a twin getting to be more money. My TT kit was 10k but I can change my power from 400hp-890hp with a push of the BC button. So if a person out grew the P1 or D1 what is the cost of a new charger in compared to a turbo?
Perfect example… I’m not sure what $10K tt kit you’ve got, but turning that into a custom job with the same parts will easily turn that into a $15K or more deal not counting the install costs.

While based on what has been said so far I would agree, at some point you know that that won’t be the case. While I would build my own custom setup no matter what direction I went in, if I was in this position I could afford to spend $20k having a custom, high end twin turbo killer setup installed, but the thought of doing it on a car that I bought for a few grand on a stock, 150K mile 305 would probably stop me, at least until loads of other things were done/made perfect on the car first.

I didn't know about these new superchargers you where taking about very interesting I have to call my uncle (high up in easton). See if I can get one on the Trailblazer SS. Anyways I am sure a roots or screw charger is much cheaper than a Procharger. I then could very well be wrong.
None of this is super new, the eaton M blowers have been around since at least the early 90’s when they were used on production supercharged t-birds. Since then they’ve been used in everything from buicks to mustang cobras to Austin martin’s and Jags. Next year they’re supposed to be re-releasing the ZR1 Corvette with one on it. Somewhere I have pics of the custom eaton M90 setup on my brother’s car, a semi custom eaton m62 setup that I did on a infinity G35, a modified KennyBell setup I did on a mod motor mustang…
Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Supreme Member

[URL]
enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/v/N4l642TnA2c
Old 02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

2fast4u92z and 83 Crossfire TA have some excellent points. A newer GT series or HX series turbo with the right turbine or a newer SC with a good wheel will make about the same power. The advantage of the SC is less hot piping in the engine bay and more than likely easier on maintenance like changing plugs. That is, if you use a decent sized exhaust. If cost wasn't an issue (but seems to always become an issue) then I would go with the SC. If I wan't cheap then I would go with the TC. I would go with the TC also in terms of HP being easily adjusted with a boost controller.

I wish i had more lag (maybe with a bigger FMIC I will. Oh and the car has a 2stage NOS 75hp and 125hp. <--That was dum but it works.

Car makes just under 1000hp on 92 pump but with the DFI and wide band O2 with a flip of a switch can take C16.
A bigger FMIC is going to make a zero change in lag time for any size that will fit in a thirdgen. You are making 1000HP using T4/T3 hybrids? The T3 turbine exhaust backpressure has to be through the roof. Have you measured it? Maybe running .82 A/R turbines with stage 3 wheels.........but then again I don't see it spooling below 2K RPM with them. What are the turbines?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by junkcltr
2fast4u92z and 83 Crossfire TA have some excellent points. A newer GT series or HX series turbo with the right turbine or a newer SC with a good wheel will make about the same power. The advantage of the SC is less hot piping in the engine bay and more than likely easier on maintenance like changing plugs. That is, if you use a decent sized exhaust. If cost wasn't an issue (but seems to always become an issue) then I would go with the SC. If I wan't cheap then I would go with the TC. I would go with the TC also in terms of HP being easily adjusted with a boost controller.

A bigger FMIC is going to make a zero change in lag time for any size that will fit in a thirdgen. You are making 1000HP using T4/T3 hybrids? The T3 turbine exhaust backpressure has to be through the roof. Have you measured it? Maybe running .82 A/R turbines with stage 3 wheels.........but then again I don't see it spooling below 2K RPM with them. What are the turbines?
First off this setup is in my 2001 camaro SS. My turbos are one-of one that are not available. I know sounds like BS. But it isn't they are straight from garrett in Japan. From the owner of garrett. The type it is are used in the incon turbo kits same type LPE sells for the corvette now but it is the biggest T3/T4 ever put in the kit. For the kits there are 2 turbos stage1 and 2 had 32R and the stage3 had 35R. I have 37R. These are TRUE ballbearing and water cooled. The 35R kit people where making 800-900rwhp.

there are no numbers on the houseing as they where cast with none. Look at Harlan's Incon firebird. Or Joes old camaro. Oh and that car is a stock lower end. So you can't say it's big cubes.

http://harlan-engineering.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nS75lagic

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...?gk=62&t=rides

I didn't realy think about all the other part and pieces! You are right. I have buddies that own big name race shops so i always think in cost not retail and never in labor! I even called one and asked about a 3rd gen turbo kit headers like this pic below. He said $1200-$1500.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharge or Turbo 92 camaro rs? Newbie here, really need help!-show-20car-20single-20turbo  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

I’m always amused when people that are comfortable fabbing stuff answer that question like that… Yea, I have half a dozen turbos sitting around that I got for $200 or less. Grab some pipe, a little of that, a little of this, pull out the plasma, throw it on the bandsaw and weld it together and I have a turbo setup. (and then somehow I go and check and I spent a grand or so without even noticing).

Try this instead. Grab an eaton M90 used for $120 (I’ve gotten a few, even an m112 free, but that’s one of those knowing the right people at the right time sort of things), make some brackets/adaptors out of some scrap, used blower crank pulley for $25 (if you’re really butch do something like weld a PS pulley to the front of your existing crank pulley and cut a big hole in the center, manually balance it… for free), spend $30 for a proper hefty belt, you either built some means of tensioning in your bracket or if you’re creative you bought 11lbs of random spring tensioners at the scrap yard for $1.20/lb and you grab one of those and bolt it to your bracket. Stop by a truck parts place and get some 3” radiator hose and a few clamps, use that to hook up the pressure side, add a few minor odds and ends and you’re done for maybe $300… figure out how to dump enough fuel into the engine (an issue no matter which way you go) and you have a totally flat, monstrous torque curve that will push a car into the high 10’s/low 11’s

Of course it’s never quite that simple and if you don’t know what you’re doing you can easily turn that into a $5K project.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

I didn't realy think about all the other part and pieces! You are right. I have buddies that own big name race shops so i always think in cost not retail and never in labor! I even called one and asked about a 3rd gen turbo kit headers like this pic below. He said $1200-$1500.
Heh, never thought about what things really cost most people till I did some work/installs for the speed shop and had to add up all the little bits and realized that as soon as you went slightly outside what is available in a kit, you end up with tons of parts that are a buck or three here and there and everywhere that start adding up really fast.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28 Convt.
Engine: 305 TPI (built)
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

hey .. ive seen those twin turbo kits all over ebay ..

will those headers even work on a 91 305 tpi .. or do you have to take all the accessories out to fit them in ..

????
Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fidelis5588
At the moment, I'm seriously considering supercharging her. Buut..would it be better to turbo? I'm not going to be racing her, at least, not seriously and not at a track. I don't really understand which would be better...what do you think?
If your going to be doing the work yourself, experience will be key, and since your relatively new to the game, I'd go with a self contained Paxton/Vortech Supercharger, Click Here....

I personally think it's really silly to be arguing about how much more horsepower can be made on the dyno with this or that setup, as all of the setups in question have brought our cars to the sub nine second zone, so it's honestly more along the lines of personal preference, and ease of installation....

And even if the turbo was the same as a SC what happens when you need to boost. You need pulleys from Procharger. I did that twice, $$$ and time. Turbo just a little $50-$100 turn the ****....
Money and time lol? Last I checked, this hobby can get pretty expensive regardless, and when I'm at the track, I enjoy working on my ride in the pit area. Showing up in a car at the track, and not having to lift the hood, let alone even get out of the car is boring for me. If you like pressing buttons and turning ****, that's cool, but personally, I enjoy fiddling with the engine every chance I get....

Oh, and incidently, I'd rather spend a few minutes changing out the pulley's on a centrifugal charged engine at the track, as opposed to spending a few hours <sarcasm> changing spark plugs with a twin turbo charged application just before eliminations are about to begin....

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-18-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
I’m always amused when people that are comfortable fabbing stuff answer that question like that… Yea, I have half a dozen turbos sitting around that I got for $200 or less. Grab some pipe, a little of that, a little of this, pull out the plasma, throw it on the bandsaw and weld it together and I have a turbo setup. (and then somehow I go and check and I spent a grand or so without even noticing).
Yeah, the JY turbo stuff usually still ends up around a grand in the end. Going the JY SC would be a bit cheaper due to not needing hotside piping. Then again, how many people have someone showing up with a cheap TC vs a cheap SC?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 AM

Car: '92 Black Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-speed T5

I have a '92 Camaro RS with 5 speed manual, and 305 engine. It still runs good at moment and has 172000 miles on it. I am planning on pulling motor out sometime in near future when I have extra cash and doing a complete rebuild.

Some of my friends are telling me to just put a 350 in it, but for some reason (don't ask me why) I want to keep the 305 in it and build it up to keep up with some of the big dogs.

To let you all know I do not want to go all crazy with this, I want to keep it street legal and a somewhat of daily driver. But want some opinions from some of you who may know a little more on what would be best for me to do (ie. What motor would be best, etc).

I am thinking about putting twin turbo charger on it if possible but like I said before I look more into this I would like some opinions on what to do and what not to do.

But would like to really super charge it. I am probably going to get a gen I 350 and build it right for what I want.

Thanks for everything in advance.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Yeah, the JY turbo stuff usually still ends up around a grand in the end. Going the JY SC would be a bit cheaper due to not needing hotside piping. Then again, how many people have someone showing up with a cheap TC vs a cheap SC?

It is very dueable!

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/powe...e-gm-high.html

street lethal

Why are you changing the spark plugs at the track? And I know all about price adding up! But my TT car is esayer than stock to change plugs. Under 10min. But any good custom setup would be! that is why I mod F-bodies! When my buddy mods his 07' ZO6 and Ferrari! <--Then I beat him (1/4 mile) now he only wants circle track LOL
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM

I know you've had lots of replies and responses already but really, go with the turbo. Twin turbo, small size. It'll have faster spool on the small turbos, a lot easier on your 'daily driver' then super chargers, spooling turbos sound awesome and it sounds like you're doing this for appeal, that's good appeal, plus the 'lag' of a turbo will cause less immediate and unintended wheelspin for an amatuer compared to the instant power of a supercharger. And any drag racer will tell you that less wheel spin means a faster launch. I hit the 1/4 mile in my 92 Heritage edition Camaro regularly, i have no Turbo or SC (yet, turbos soon) but i have a fully built 350 bored 0.30 over to a 355 and aftermarket everything under the hood pushing 492hp and 524ft-lb of torque. Hence my username "TorquedHeritage". Also if you're going for appeal, throw in some racing seats and a roll cage, that's what I did! If you're going to be doing a lot of power adders, you're going to want a roll cage and subframe connecters anways to protect the chassis of our 22+ year old Camaros.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: Chevy 3.1
Transmission: 700r4

Run away thread haha. I would suggest learning how to rebuild a motor first. You can make alot of power just a N/A engine. I would suggest getting a junkyard 350, tearing it apart. Getting some pistons, rings, bearings, connecting rods and such for the lower end. Get a decent cam, with some good Vortec heads and an edlebrock intake with a carb. Can't get much easier than that and you also learn more about engines in the process.

Then you have something to build off of if you want to possibly go turbo or superchraged instead of having a stock engine.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

I had an ATI Procharger kit D1SC that I got for around $4k.... It was polished, and sure purty .... But seeing others around here with the same / similar kit, I didn't see HP / TQ numbers that were that impressive... Complete Kit... yes... powerful as Turbo... Not after I saw Turbo TPI's 570 hp 91 Firebird....

Sold the ATI, bought a single turbo BBS header / Crossover pipe and drive's header for just under $900....

Rafael