Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter

Came very close to selling her, but at the very last moment I just couldn't go through with it. Lots of parts were sold, the old turbo is gone, varying sets of injectors are gone, fiberglass cowl hood is gone, MT 315 drag radials are gone, and lots more. She's been sitting the last half of the summer, and found myself working on and customizing the interior a little, but that's about it. Swapped columns and keys, mainly because the stock one was having problems, but in doing so I had to take care of a VATS issue, or so I thought, because the engine wouldn't turn over. Was discussing with Bob Rauscher the possibilities because it was getting annoying, and after a few tests narrowed it down to a wiring issue, as well as the Neutral Safety Switch, it was completely shot, as is the battery, it is extremely weak. Long story short, picked up a new switch for thirty bucks over at Napa, and ordered an Optima battery online which should be here by tomorrow, and fixed the wiring issue that was tampered with by the Starter Enable Relay...

Anyway, as mentioned, the T72 turbo from the other thread I started is long gone, but a T88 took its' place. Almost sold that too, have it boxed and everything, but luckily I didn't. Still running the same 44mm wastegate and turbo header setup I welded up using an aftermarket exhaust system as can be seen in the video below. Still running a hidden 4" core front mount Intercooler. Need to sort out an oil fitting issue with the newest turbo though, as the fitting used for the T72 up top doesn't seat right on the T88, but other than that, should be good to go once I get the correct fitting and it's back on the engine. The GTA needs a thorough cleaning, engine bay is very dirty, outside is getting painted just haven't settled on a color yet, and the rims need to be seriously polished, brake dust all over them. Tires are brand new but need some shine. Hood, well, the stocker is in the basement now alongside the stock hatch, and a plain Jane hood is on there, which I might actually keep because I like the unsuspecting look. Rear hatch is the 91/92 style setup for an aerowing, which I might buy soon. Might get lexan glass first, not sure yet, but I'll cross that river when it comes time for paint. About a 1/4 of an inch worth of dust was sitting on her when I backed her out of the garage. This is only the second start after sitting for a long time, weak battery as you will hear, open exhaust, but still idles like a freaking champ. Got the idle down to 800-RPM in Park, and 650 in Drive when I was terrorizing the New Jersey streets with her, and that's quite an accomplishment for a 305 running a 23x/23x cam and stock throttle body. Paint chip galore up front from those Spring highway runs...

She's back, and no more time slips being posted, no more WUD analysis explained, no more street racing him, her or it, only track videos are coming, and the new camera is here for better viewing pleasure, so stay tuned as we put an end to the debate of... can it be done.

Last edited by anesthes; 08-23-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: LT4 C4, LT1 CE, 95' Dyno Air
Transmission: ZF S6-40, 4L60E, sprockets
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.07
Re: Chronicles of a 9 Second 305 Trans Am... the Revival & Final.

Looking forward to more chronicles!
Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by thewizard
Looking forward to more chronicles!
... oh definitely! I avoided showing the interior in the video cuz it's almost done, just need to take care of the door panels, then it will be exactly the way I envisioned it the first time around, and will proudly share it with the forum.

After some thought when deciding to bring this back, the best approach is to avoid getting into the minor details, and to just get it done. This isn't being brought back to have everyone wait for it to get painted first because I didn't even decide on paint, only that it has to be better than Dave's new paint job lol. The very first issue for me will be cutting the original downpipe I made, and to have it run parallel with the transmission. The first one I made followed the stock routing leading to the converter, but now there will be no converter. It will essentially be a 3" downpipe from the exhaust housing that meets a 4" intermediate pipe right by the transmission bell housing, then run all the way back to a Flowmaster muffler that I customized, I cut the 3" inlet in favor for a 4" inlet on the muffler, with 3" exhaust ends. Just need to fab up an over the axle 4" tube to join both sides, as well as a few brackets here and there to hold it up firmly, will be fairly simple...
Old 08-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
The first one I made followed the stock routing leading to the converter, but now there will be no converter. It will essentially be a 3" downpipe from the exhaust housing that meets a 4" intermediate pipe right by the transmission bell housing, then run all the way back to a Flowmaster muffler that I customized, I cut the 3" inlet in favor for a 4" inlet on the muffler, with 3" exhaust ends. Just need to fab up an over the axle 4" tube to join both sides, as well as a few brackets here and there to hold it up firmly, will be fairly simple...
It is great that you decided to run it. Don't paint it. Filler and paint will just add weight. I don't think anyone cares what it looks like, just want to see go 9s.

In the closed thread it states it went 11.36 ET. Sounds like that was through a 3" downpipe into a cat converter. Is that what the out pipe was?
Flowmaster muffer?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Seriously, don't start any arguments about what members want to see, one person does not speak for all. Let the thread take it's course. Not to mention, I already noted that I will not turn this thread into a waiting around for paint to dry thread. This is in fact a continuation of my original build thread, not a sacrifice my GTA to reach a number that everyone wants to see thread...;

This isn't being brought back to have everyone wait for it to get painted first because I didn't even decide on paint, only that it has to be better than Dave's new paint job lol...
The original downpipe we referred to as "Frankenstein" to those who know the vehicle, as although it did the job, it looked horrible. Had O2 bungs everywhere resembling Frankenstein's neck bolts. I cut the original downpipe that I made last night and grabbed another piece that will weld to it perfectly, and it allows for 1 1/2" to 2" inches of clearance from the floor pan, which is perfect. Just need to grab a short 3" to 4" adapter, then a set of 4" v-band exhaust flanges. To answer the question above, no, when I ran the car during the Spring during tuning and testing, it had an open downpipe that bled off behind the front passenger tire, no cat, not intermediate, and no muffler. This new system will of course employ an electric cutout, but one thing at a time.

Name:  1f22ae9f-34c4-45b8-a9f9-34945fee7de5_zpsvh4hytjo.jpg
Views: 224287
Size:  426.0 KB
Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Small update since yesterday, I wasn't about to weld the new downpipe routing into place with a turbo that needed to be fixed as my mock up, so after grabbing a fitting adapter from a buddy of mine that seated correctly today, I was able to finally bolt the turbo down while running a quick check to see how the new thrust bearing is working. Haven't been able to check it since I installed it, went from an old school 270* bearing to a more modern 360* bearing. Shaft spins nice and straight, and no oil leakage from the fitting, good deal...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 08-21-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Oh gawd, the pressure is now on... this coming Friday.

Name:  d10d989b-e55a-4b15-9e1d-e70ca473ed6d_zpsfkoubp4v.jpg
Views: 224415
Size:  285.8 KB
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Something that wasn't discussed in the other threads I started, that was planting the rear without breaking everything the first time out. Stock 10 bolts have held up to abuse, but sooner or later, well, you guys know what I mean. I wanna target no quicker than a 1.5 sixty foot, I'll even be happy with a 1.6, as I am that confident the rate of acceleration will trap speed where I want it to, so no need to lift the front of the car upon take off lol. She does have quality shocks in the back, struts up front are stock replacements. Was going to box the stock lower control arms, but I went with a set of tubular lower control arms instead. The rear rims are 17 * 9.5", and I am up in the air about getting 275 drag radials, or 305 drag radials, however leaning towards 305's.

Name:  efce364b-6504-4ab3-86fa-e75924e97f58_zpsc6gcs4do.jpg
Views: 224331
Size:  223.6 KB

Name:  20ad6947-9398-4f4c-ae36-f24ed2dbabac_zpszwftznlh.jpg
Views: 224671
Size:  208.8 KB
Old 08-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Sweet. I wish we had more race days up here in MN like that. (besides BIR) I think when I finish school, I may look to re-locate myself. So other states..... BEWARE! lol
Old 08-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Sweet. I wish we had more race days up here in MN like that. (besides BIR) I think when I finish school, I may look to re-locate myself. So other states..... BEWARE! lol
School is very important, so make sure you finish and achieve your goals! As for other states, you'd love New Jersey, sitting center of a triangular pattern of NYC, the beaches and Atlantic City. Raceway Park is awesome, but I live so close to it I got spoiled, and rarely go anymore.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

School is very important, so make sure you finish and achieve your goals! As for other states, you'd love New Jersey, sitting center of a triangular pattern of NYC, the beaches and Atlantic City. Raceway Park is awesome, but I live so close to it I got spoiled, and rarely go anymore.
Thanks Street. Yeah I know... lol I start my 2nd year tomorrow! (where did the summer go?) Im going for Fluid Power. So hydraulics/pneumatic's/ and all the electrical stuff, solenoids/relays/motor starters/motors ect.

The more I drift away from being a mechanic, the more worried I get. It has taken me my whole life to get where I am with knowledge in turning wrenches/fixing stuff. There is no money working in a garage...(debatable) However, there is money in hydraulics! I hope I can learn as much about hydr as I do turning wrenches.

Cars are my passion, and working everyday on them gets old, making it tough to be passionate when I get home to work on my stuff. So, time will tell!

Minnesota is a hyd state. Eaton, sunsorce, the list goes on and on. So, the job market is here, but they get you with less $ cause, A survey showed that 90% of Minnesotans wont leave the state for work. This opens the field in other states. I can almost pick and choose where I want to work.

Anyways, Do you think you will have her ready by friday?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter

Continue on your path w/hydraulics, heavy demand, great money. You could always test the waters by opening your own part time shop with cars and see where it goes, and if it doesn't you can always say that you gave it a shot. Lot of guys reach a point in their life saying to themselves; I coulda, shoulda, woulda, as I myself say that when it comes to music as I was very passionate in that field but never really went gung ho with it...

I'm going to try my best to make it this Friday, sent them a message asking if running a turbo with no muffler is acceptable, still waiting on their response. Normally on Friday's they can't run open exhaust, but on Wednesdays you can run whatever you bring. I just need to get my hands on a 4" over the axle bend to mate the intermediate tube and muffler, and drag radials of course, and then she's pretty much ready for the track...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 08-23-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks man. kind words. Yep, its like the saying, Some day, your "some days" will be up. I have actually gone to school for automotive machinist, machinist tool & dye, and now hyd. It is actually a dream of mine to open a one stop custom fab shop. I was born welding and already have the shop with every tool under the sun except, my dad collects and restores WWII trucks and is out of control. Not too many ppl own there own 50t drag line crane, but my dad does!! heh. Claims to have the heaviest corner in the world. So some day!! heh Anyways, I kinda went on a rant. Feels nice I guess when ppl are kind.

Climb into your rig and head on out, we have a boat load of 3-4-5-6" pipe that has misc bends. Dad wont scrap/throw anything. " you never know when you will need that bent nail" he says. heh

Sounds like you will have her ready then eh? no prob.

Well good luck man and have fun fri.
Again, thanks for the kind words.

-D
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

I'm going to try my best to make it this Friday, sent them a message asking if running a turbo with no muffler is acceptable, still waiting on their response.
Track didn't say there would be a problem, but I'm going to head there this Wednesday night for better clarification. These ratchet Friday's have some intense gambling, if I were fully forged with strong trans and rear I might have gotten in on it, but with a stock bottom end and stock drive train with just a few enhancements, I think I'll wait on that lol...

Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Malibu
Engine: Blown LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"/wavetrac/35's/3.70

Typical, someone calls you on your BS, and magically the post dissapears.... along with every other post questioning you. Wish I had a moderator in my back pocket. When are we gonna see results, not just another build thread???

Last edited by 1986Z28OWNER; 08-24-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1986Z28OWNER
Typical, someone calls you on your BS, and magically the post dissapears.... When are we gonna see results, not just another build thread???
Hey, not for nothing but you do in fact have a very nice Camaro, but seriously, where is all this hate coming from? Whether towards me or towards Dave, what the heck is the matter with you lol? Over in Dave's thread, he told you if you don't like it, then stay the hell out. I'm not going to say that though, your more than welcome if you want to hang around, but it'll get done when it gets done. Seriously, no reason to act the way you are. As for disappearing posts, do you really want people to read that nonsense? Your a member of thirdgen.org, no reason to act like that while making the website appear hostile to the new people who are considering joining. Relax...
Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

if I were fully forged with strong trans and rear I might have gotten in on it, but with a stock bottom end and stock drive train with just a few enhancements, I think I'll wait on that lol...
I forget that the trans & rear are. Stock 700R4 or modified internals (how many 3rd clutches)? Posi stock rear?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Deleted

Last edited by Orr89RocZ; 08-24-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

You put 800 through it without a double feed? I think the th400 is the best bang for the buck with turbos if the pcm can't do 4L80E.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by Street Lethal; 08-24-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Do you need a longer tail on the th400? Or, different cross member and longer drive shaft. er what?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Do you need a longer tail on the th400? Or, different cross member and longer drive shaft. er what?
The changes for the swap aren't that significant, there is a highly detailed thread located in the transmission section that outlines everything very thoroughly. I am running 3.42's out back, my TA originally came with a stick, and I honestly need/prefer the fourth gear in the 700R4 with those rear gears. If I were to swap tranny's though, I would definitely consider a nicely built 200-R4. The Turbo-400 can be bulletproof, but I would need to step down to 3.08's or 2.73's to truly maximize swapping to a three speed tranny for my particular goals...
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Typical, someone calls you on your BS, and magically the post dissapears.... along with every other post questioning you. Wish I had a moderator in my back pocket. When are we gonna see results, not just another build thread???
He doesn't have a "moderator in his back pocket", heck I disagree with 98% of the stuff he says. But there is a difference between a disagreement and stupid fighting.

I'm not going to allow flame wars on my forum. This isn't yellowbullet.

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Just curious.. You guys running 10s, 9s, 8s.. Do you have all your safety stuff up to spec?

The only track around here is NHRA, and they are very strict. It's very easy to build a 10 second car.. It's expensive to build one that will pass tech

Also, my fat *** ain't climbing out the window or over a cage.

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes
He doesn't have a "moderator in his back pocket", heck I disagree with 98% of the stuff he says. But there is a difference between a disagreement and stupid fighting.

I'm not going to allow flame wars on my forum. This isn't yellowbullet.

-- Joe
So why let these never ending run on threads featuring the same never ending run on builds that never get finished clutter up the forums?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

So why let these never ending run on threads featuring the same never ending run on builds that never get finished clutter up the forums?
Because no rule exists that would call for deleting them. The only inappropriateness is when the personal attacks started back and forth.

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

He doesn't have a "moderator in his back pocket", heck I disagree with 98% of the stuff he says. But there is a difference between a disagreement and stupid fighting...
Exactly! Joe knows I do not like Megasquirt, and I know that Joe does not like OBD-1 influenced systems. We have engaged plenty of times in heated arguments, but they remained civil, no name calling, and no baby bull crap. Not to mention at the same time we both provide tech to others in the other sections, and never make it about our own rides, constantly, like some needy baby crying for attention. Joe, I don't even remember posting in this dude's thread, not even sure if I ever did, and sure as hell won't waste my time now after the way he conducted himself. This dude is seriously running his mouth in the wrong effin way, and he's going to run his mouth to the wrong person one day, because it doesn't take much to find someone and their families in Edmonton Alberta Canada running their Mu11et license plate, believe me. That being said, I'm asking Joe not to close this thread because I want to put an end to it. I'll update it as soon as I get it ready for the track, so I'll just leave it at that...
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

im not getting in the middle of u , orr and street
but my thread(s) may have gone on for a while but im sorry i dont have tons of money and health and real life issues come before my car.
i work with what i have , and sometimes i may have to save 10$ a week for 3 months to afford a part i need.

but i assure u my thread will end witht he car on the track, it also doesnt help that a trip to the track for me is a 600 mile round trip deal
Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Because no rule exists that would call for deleting them. The only inappropriateness is when the personal attacks started back and forth.

-- Joe
What's funny Joe is this dude is wasting his time in my thread. I am unimpressed with his ride, I don't give a crap how fast he goes, there are dudes here that run faster with much less. Why he is here flapping his gums I have no freaking idea, but I am getting very tired of it...
Old 08-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by project89
im not getting in the middle of u , orr and street
but my thread(s) may have gone on for a while but im sorry i dont have tons of money and health and real life issues come before my car.
i work with what i have , and sometimes i may have to save 10$ a week for 3 months to afford a part i need.

but i assure u my thread will end witht he car on the track, it also doesnt help that a trip to the track for me is a 600 mile round trip deal
You don't have to fawking explain yourself to anybody! Your a standup guy, and have helped countless members on here, and if someone disrespects you without even knowing you then fawk them! Keep doing what your doing, because your ride is coming out freaking awesome Dave...
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

y i dont have tons of money and health and real life issues come before my car.

I think some people take the hobby a little too seriously. Between two houses, my horses, and turning a 9 million dollar company into a 15 million dollar company in one year; I don't have much time to tinker with my 80's lead sled.

I think I've been 'building' this car since 2012 and I've put maybe 3 miles on it. It's also not my only car. It's just the thirdgen I have.

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

Stop the lies gentlemen. Admit your failures and show what you actually accomplish. Everyone knows streets car has never been finished, but he can't go stealing time slips and telling fairytails. Projects car has also never been done, and is revolving door of cheap parts that is ages away from every being a 1000hp salt flats car. And if you can't get your own junk to run, don't offer advice to everyone like you are an expert.

This is a tech board, show what you've got, what u can do, and stop ruining this section with bs.

My thread is years old now, car is blown up, cans slow going together - but it has quality info and is the truth.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

I think some people take the hobby a little too seriously. Between two houses, my horses, and turning a 9 million dollar company into a 15 million dollar company in one year; I don't have much time to tinker with my 80's lead sled.

I think I've been 'building' this car since 2012 and I've put maybe 3 miles on it. It's also not my only car. It's just the thirdgen I have.

-- Joe
You also wrote a sticky to budget turbo an l98 but haven't actually completed it and proven that it works.

This section is full of almost
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
You also wrote a sticky to budget turbo an l98 but haven't actually completed it and proven that it works.

This section is full of almost
Proven what works? I bolted it up, drove the car, took pictures, and now it's on my buddy's L98.

What is there to "prove?".

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Stop the lies gentlemen. Admit your failures and show what you actually accomplish. Everyone knows streets car has never been finished, but he can't go stealing time slips and telling fairytails. Projects car has also never been done, and is revolving door of cheap parts that is ages away from every being a 1000hp salt flats car. And if you can't get your own junk to run, don't offer advice to everyone like you are an expert.
Seriously it's idiotic comments such as these that make people leave this website. My datalogging shows what the car ran back then, if tech is too hard for you to grasp then that is your problem, not mine. As I said in the very beginning of this thread, I am not getting into WUD analysis or datalogging, only track videos, so what the hell are you running your mouth for now? If the thread is coming along too slow, then don't waste your time reading it. I never did yours...
Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Proven what works? I bolted it up, drove the car, took pictures, and now it's on my buddy's L98.

-- Joe
That it makes power, that it drives well, something to make it sticky worthy over so many others on here that run and run hard. your thread just ends with you being too busy and that's it. The stick doesn't even have a single pic in it

Edit: and no I don't think my thread should be a sticky - not at all my implication

Last edited by sailtexas186548; 08-24-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Seriously it's idiotic comments such as these that make people leave this website. My datalogging shows what the car ran back then, if tech is too hard for you to grasp then that is your problem, not mine. As I said in the very beginning of this thread, I am not getting into WUD analysis or datalogging, only track videos, so what the hell are you running your mouth for now? If the thread is coming along too slow, then don't waste your time reading it. I never did yours...
Your car was never done and never ran. Anyone that knows anything about cars much less turbo third gens can see that. You can post a data log but not even a picture at the track? And then a guy comes on here and says "hey those are my time slips" (deleted posts...hmm) what are the chances he's just messing with you? Zero.

We all want you to get it done, we all don't care how long it takes, but sweet mother of god stop lying to the tgo community.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

-- Joe
Bingo.

In my case though, I built the turbo system in my old thread, put it together piece by piece with limited means which was the whole damn point, to "make something out of nothing" as was said in the very first post in the closed thread. Went with cheap parts to show members they didn't have to invest thousands to run fast. Assembled the engine in front of everyone with pic after pic, started it, tuned it, datalogged it, just didn't run it on the track and mainly relied on the WUD analysis for my times and information. The only thing that I apparently have to "prove" at this point now is running single digits on video, that is all that is left, because clearly my engine runs just fine, car rides great, tuned for boost with an excellent system, and like I said, I will update when it gets to that time to head over to the track. Why everyone is still arguing really makes no damn sense. If the track yields an 11 second pass at 20-psi then it is what it is. If it's a 10 second pass, wonderful, if it's a 9 second pass, then mission accomplished. I said over and over again I will post a follow up when it's that time, so there is no need for all this crap talking...
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

That it makes power, that it drives well, something to make it sticky worthy over so many others on here that run and run hard. your thread just ends with you being too busy and that's it. The stick doesn't even have a single pic in it

Edit: and no I don't think my thread should be a sticky - not at all my implication
The point of the sticky is what to buy and how to modify it to get it to FIT a thirdgen. That's all.

How much power would it make? I dunno. Every car is different.

I'm not even sure which thread is yours.

I've welded together about 5 different turbo configurations on my car. And I hate a little bit of every one of them. I may never be satisfied with it.

-- Joe
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Projects car has also never been done, and is revolving door of cheap parts that is ages away from every being a 1000hp salt flats car. And if you can't get your own junk to run, don't offer advice to everyone like you are an expert.
i have tons of junk that runs , long before this car , and ur a fool if u think a aluminum headed hsr combo with heads that flow 300cfm wont make 4 digit power with twin 76's or a bw single 88mm

my car has run and i drove the wheels off it for a whole summer i even raced it and went 11:30's at 130+ mph with the original setup , i ended that thread when i decided to build the hsr/new head combo , and the original thread for that build got so far off track with ppl bullshiting and fighting i asked for it to be closed when i though i was just going to sell the car due to health and work related issues
Old 08-26-2015, 12:04 PM

i have tons of junk that runs , long before this car , and ur a fool if u think a aluminum headed hsr combo with heads that flow 300cfm wont make 4 digit power with twin 76's or a bw single 88mm

my car has run and i drove the wheels off it for a whole summer i even raced it and went 11:30's at 130+ mph with the original setup , i ended that thread when i decided to build the hsr/new head combo , and the original thread for that build got so far off track with ppl bullshiting and fighting i asked for it to be closed when i though i was just going to sell the car due to health and work related issues
#1 I highly doubt your junk chinese heads flow 300cfm
#2 I highly doubt your scabbed together stock block bottom end will hold together to make 4 digit horsepower
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

#1 I highly doubt your junk chinese heads flow 300cfm
Why?

#2 I highly doubt your scabbed together stock block bottom end will hold together to make 4 digit horsepower
With a loose converter, maybe, maybe not.

-- Joe
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM

Why?

-- Joe
Because in his own thread he says they flow 259 CFM at 0.700".

this is my review of the assault racing heads , figured id do a review of theese since the procomp and other cheap heads come up from time to time

first off these are not the same casting as the procomp heads , these are leaps and bounds far better

these heads are 399 shipped to ur door bare for the pair

out of the box they flow
.200 145
.300 199
.400 234
.500 249
.600 257
.700 259
pro magnum lifters, xe274 , adjustable timing set , on the way.

im not 100% sure just yet but since the cam has 4* advance ground in i think im going to install it 2-4* retarded to pick up some power on the top end

shouldnt be an issue with the 4200-4500 8 inch fti converter
and with that camshaft, even with a 1.6 ratio rocker the gross valve list is only 0.523" meaning they actually flow more like 249 CFM.

FACTS! They are a wonderful thing.

So, my question is.. Where did this magical 300cfm number come from? The flow bench he pulled out of his A**?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Because in his own thread he says they flow 259 CFM at 0.700".

and with that camshaft, even with a 1.6 ratio rocker the gross valve list is only 0.523" meaning they actually flow more like 249 CFM.

FACTS! They are a wonderful thing.

So, my question is.. Where did this magical 300cfm number come from? The flow bench he pulled out of his A**?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ml#post5718734

-- Joe
Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM

So, 268 at 0.600", NOT AT 0.523"!!! HELLO, WHAT ARE YOU MISSING HERE??? A quick cleanup to gain 20 CFM for a supposed 290cfm??? bullsh*t!!! maybe on the magical flowbench pulled from his a**. Still not 300cfm.

By this logic that means my Small block heads that flowed 360 CFM and actually closer to 380 or 390 cfm... RIGHT???
Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

So, 268 at 0.600", NOT AT 0.523"!!! HELLO, WHAT ARE YOU MISSING HERE??? A quick cleanup to gain 20 CFM for a supposed 290cfm??? bullsh*t!!! maybe on the magical flowbench pulled from his a**. Still not 300cfm.

By this logic that means my Small block heads that flowed 360 CFM and actually closer to 380 or 390 cfm... RIGHT???
*sigh*.. Kids..

I've been told I'm too lenient on this forum. So if you've got nothing positive to add to his thread, why don't you stop posting in it.

-- Joe
Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

The changes for the swap aren't that significant, there is a highly detailed thread located in the transmission section that outlines everything very thoroughly. I am running 3.42's out back, my TA originally came with a stick, and I honestly need/prefer the fourth gear in the 700R4 with those rear gears. If I were to swap tranny's though, I would definitely consider a nicely built 200-R4. The Turbo-400 can be bulletproof, but I would need to step down to 3.08's or 2.73's to truly maximize swapping to a three speed tranny for my particular goals...
I hear ya on the overdrive, but on a car like this that sees more time sitting than running it make sense to go the TH400 and 3.08s. How many miles on it in the past 3 years? To acheive the goal the rear end needs to go anyway. It is the cheapest and most reliable route.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

With as much power as you expect out of this thing you will not have a problem pulling 3.08 gears. 28" tire helps to if you have to run 3.23's or so
Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

sub'd again.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by kmcn47
sub'd again.
Haha, this is the last thread for this build, I won't close this one...

Car is done, I'll update when I get to the track...

Quick Reply: Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter