Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

JOE DIRT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: CRATE 350
Transmission: TCI
JOE DIRT

Hey whatsup my name is Mace.
I usually build motorcycles, but ever since my roomate got a 1988 IROC
for a graduation present, I have wanted this car.
well its an 86 z28, but whatever
I know its not pretty, but finally I got my dream car
lol.
gm goodwrench crate 350
elelbrock carb and manifold
headers and exhaust, accell distubutor
eiback 2" slam
Looks like pure crap
Im not sure what tci trans is in it but it has a shift kit
I drove it home and the shift cable broke, spent an hour replacing that,
and now it shifts fine. Im hoping to modify it and tune it up
and take it to som hot rod gatherings.
anyway, here is a crappy night pic as I was out there under it fixing it.
more pics of engine and stuff tomorrow, and I hope to gain some knowledge and help from the camaro gurus on here soon.
Been 20 years since i owned a Camaro
feels good man
All the best
pic
dont laugh yet, its ugly now, but i hope to change that soon.

Last edited by MACE_; 11-22-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM

Re: JOE DIRT

Dang. I think i put this build in the wrong section, as I could not find a readers rides or build section. Please move it to appropriate section if a Mod gets a chance.
After changing the shift cable to a 20$ Pep Boys part, the old z28 began to shift normally again, I think the previous owner had the cable not adjusted properly which led to play and then led to breakage (pic). So I go to check the oil and it looked like 9 miles of bad road. I mean black. and low. Good old Auto zone had a special on castrol and purolator (dont hate on the Castrol) So in with some fresh oil and filter...The car seemed to enjoy the attention with a smoother idle and ran about 5-10 degrees cooler. Some block sanding to smooth it and expose the bondo areas as well, and some wiring nightmare inspections(pic).
The good: High performace goodies
The bad: backfire through carb when punching the throttle under load at low rpm, Not sure if its a accelerator pump issue, timing, carb, or cam, So I will have to pull the plugs next to investigate that.

enuff talk
Some amatuer Z28 ****

Next week im going for the 80's primer black dollar a can spray job, Man the smell of cheap primer and an old chevy sure brings back some memories
Ill post up all the details of this budget build over the course of the next few months as I like to keep a record of my weak mechanic skillset
All the best

Last edited by MACE_; 11-25-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 iroc Arctic White w/gold ss stri
Engine: Turbo'd 5.3 in process
Transmission: T-56 w/SPEC stage 3+ clutch
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser w/3.25's

Keep up the good work! most on here didn't start out pretty, at least mine didn't.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MACE_
Man the smell of cheap primer and an old chevy sure brings back some memories...
Too funny.

The car definitely has some potential...
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Welcome to the boards!

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that fly's head air cleaner, I used to run one but if you do some research you'll find out that the filter media (spongey stuff) dries out and falls into your engine. Also, everytime you backfire through the carb it roasts the underside of the filter and whatever charred bits fall off go straight into your engine.

A regular 14x3 round filter is your friend.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 AM

dbl post

Last edited by MACE_; 12-01-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM

dbl post

Last edited by MACE_; 12-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. And yes I see that foam is wasted, I hope to get a proper cleaner soon, thanks for that.

Steve ..well we all know Steve, hes addicted, not to drugs or women or money...his addiction lies within the smell of burning rubber, the sound of exhaust and the white knuckle thrill of the ride. Theres no counting how many cars and motorcycles and engines hes busted his knuckles on...He stares at his hands for a moment....each scar representing the blood sweat and tears of builds many days past, yet still with him like a tattoo or worship of rememberance. Cracking open a fresh brew, he walks outside to his ride...the old Camaro speaks to him, not through words, but in flashes, pictures logged into his memory...Camoflauge, carburetors, Centerlines...wait..wut?
Now chicks smiling at him from the passenger seat, filling up the air shocks,
Friday nights on the strip.....Man, what happened...where did it all go...A woman walks down the sidewalk in front of his house, her Iphone in front of her face, oblivious to him, oblivious to anything...Dang. He sits in his old plastic lawn chair and glances again at the car...again like a flood the pictures come..".What you got in that thing?" a voice from times past in his head...then more pics... 327 badges, skunk stripes.....oil droplets on concrete..Steve hangs his head for a moment, and then looks up at the Sun,
That glorious ball of fire that seems to rise and rise and rise...Placing the empty bottle of beer on the car Steve pisses on the rear quarterpanel, out of view of the uptight neighbors...He smirks a little. "marking my territory" He smiles a little, a smile that almost never comes. Hopping inside the old beast now, the smell of the old Chevrolet interior envelopes him like a glove..key on pump the pedal once...BROOOOOOOM! The old 350 awakens...The sound like a thousand horses hooves in perfect time....Peering over the hood, he smiles again the bottles on the hood like some sort of ******* blower, he imagines himself back, back, back to whence he came.
Steve gets out, and walks back toward the house, one last glance at the primered up car before he heads off to the store to get new sparkplugs...He wonders...what happened
oh well. it is what is is
Name:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz878999_zpsfwwkoijl.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  169.2 KB

Last edited by MACE_; 12-20-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Very poetic, that was a pretty freaking cool read...

I want the 90's back, though lol...
Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks for droppin by man.
Hopefully I will have some more storyline of Steve here soon.

So, the old camaro was shifting too early into second and backfiring and the shifter cable was broke...New shifter cable/ Adjust kickdown cable, and diagnosed backfire, which I thought was due to incorrect firing order, however; the firing order was correct after being fooled by a few online diagrams we found the right one..Seems that the timing was retarded and some old school turning of the distributor smoothed out the idle and it wont backfire now even under load. Also, shifts perfect now, as there was some slack in the kickdown cable. Didnt have any dough for a new filter at the moment but pulled off old foam and used an old t shirt until i can order a new filter.
Maybe next week i will start on interior and bodywork.
cliffs; runs good
still looks like crap
pics

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM

So it rained, and the duct tape the previous owner had covering up the pinholes in the a arms near the roof was all tattered and torn
Bondo hair isnt much better , but at least now it doesnt leak or have duct tape on it.
threw some black on it to stop the rust from growing and maybe ill put a graphic on it tomorrow until i get money for a better paint job
or maybe ill just leave it all r3dneck/madmax looking.
yeah. thats the ticket.
skunk stripes, huge star on hood, or punisher skull?
huh tomorrow will tell
any thoughts
you call it
first coat. still have to sand down bondo areas better , but more solid and no leaks.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Whoa, WOW, What a read!!!. Subscribed to this one! Looking good. Yeah, bring back the 80's; best years of my life!

BTW: Throw a Confederate flag on the hood......see how THAT goes over! Keep up the great work and story.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:44 PM

Whatsup my man.
Thanks for droppin by.

Steve went outside...Every movie he had ever seen and every image of a nasty old hotrod came to mind....As he shook the can of spray paint, the ball bearing inside rattled like a trapped demon....just waiting to escape. White Zombie playing, bringing the goose bumps, he scowled at his neigbor staring...staring....staring....what the fukk is wrong with people these days?
Steve thought to himself...." I mean i never stared at someone like that in my life.....staring back, Stves eyes burrowed a hole into the mans soul, and the man turned away...only to return the next day....Steve mumbled to himself
"what ever happened to respect?"....Cracking the cap off the first can, he threw it in the direction of the neighbor...knowing...knowing...knowing ..he was still lurking like a cockroach inside.
pffffffft......pfffffffffffft....the work begins, not knowing how it will look, he looks at the sky for a hint.........Now....5 cans in, Stves finger starts to "stick" to the nozzles as red and black paint cover his hands like his first kill....Steves mind floats away as he remembers his first deer.....Quietly he stood in the stand...watching it approach...feeding...feeding...feeding...In Steves mind he raises his rifle, ever so slowly and centers the sight on the beautiful animal....the woods blurring out around it like a fog suddenly lifted....Steve feathers his finger so slightly on the trigger remebering not to hold his breath.....................................................Steve!!
BOOOOOOOOOOM!
What!!! What!!! what the fukk man?!!!

"Oh sorry man" Steves other neigbor (the cool one) stands before him
"Did I scare you man?" the man asks.
"No bro. I was just thinking about stuff...ya now?"
"Yeah man...I know....hey I came over to check out what you are doing, and I thought you told me you were doing skunk stripes, what happened man?
Steve " I dont know....I dont know man...I guess I kinda got lost in it nomsayin?"

Last edited by MACE_; 12-11-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

ha! I like it.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

that's pretty deep.... different.....but I like it in a sorta way
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 F41 Camaro
Engine: LC1 V6 2.8L
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

lol, nice and i love how your steering wheel center cover is screwed on with what appears to be sheet rick screw and its crooked XD XD. You got my sub for sure... can't wait to see hwats next
Old 12-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

Steve could drink beer at my shed anytime,he reminds me of,me.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Cool story line and even cooler car
Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Hey thanks for checkin it out fellas.
I lol'd at the sheet rock screws and told Steve about that..he just stared at me like he did not know if it was a joke...It almost got uncomfortable at that moment. So then I told him one of the dudes on here said you could drink beer at his shed if you want to. He said " Who? Junior down the block? I was just down there yesterday drinkin some beers and putting a new holley 750 on his Chevelle......Then he started rambling on and on about all kinds of stuff, so I left him alone, but managed to snap a pic before i left. Something about racing stripes
I need some air shocks, rear window louvers, centerlines or cool rims, and then me an Old Steve will be ready to hit cruise night and bring back the eighties!
Till next time my friends.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???

well, one of the best new threads i have read in a while ... my thanks to steve ... i am with you on bringing back the 80's when we had a lot of first, second, and third gens running the streets ... my uncle had an 84 he used to let me backroad while he drank a few beers, even though i was far from driving age ... hell, once in a while i would even get a sip or two of his cold one ... man the good old days
Old 12-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

Yeah,bring back the 80's

Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Steve walked outside. The rain...the rain...the rain...it had been raining for more than a few days.....Steve remembers the tales of the Flood. Tales of wrath and anger.
He sees this in himself...like a mirror. Only to be held up to reflect the truth
the truth....the truth....what is the truth? Many nights he lies awake wanting to know it
but it only comes in little sections ...little sections...like a loaf of bread, cut into slices,
a whole but not a whole....a loaf but a slice at the same time....... Knowing the car is old and needs to be out of the rain he goes to it.....a million tiny raindrops all over it....like a pattern, a riddle, a lie. He climbs inside, the smell of mildew strong in his nostrils, like the smell of blood, burning inside. He goes to turn the key...the key ...the key....it fires. But only for a second....as the water inside the cylinder cannot compress...water....water....water....the engine throws a rod and Steve hangs his head
for a moment....a moment...a moment....what is a moment?
Never has he blown an engine until now....but now its over...its over...its over
There have been many cars, trucks, vans and motorcycles, and there will be many more.
they are only lessons in life
they are not real
they do not matter
they do not exist
only the experiences and the path are truth
All the best my friends. Steve blew a rod and sold the Camaro
He hopes to get another one day
a day...a day....a day.....what is a day?
Anyway he cried and drank about 50 beers but now hes workin on a new project
he sends his best and will drop in from time to time
He told me "Never get emotionally attached to anything, it brings you close to Earth and away from the forms"
I dont know what that means, but I dont ask him too much
Later fellas.
Best