South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

Need a Mechanic Near Kissimmee

Old 06-29-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Mechanic Near Kissimmee

Looking for a mechanic to help with this issue near the Kissimme/Davenport area.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. So, as my first car, I got an '89 V6 Firebird. After a new factory spec paintjob, as well as some red stripes and some small fixes, it was running great, and I grew really close to it. After a while, though, some serious issues presented themselves. One, the car would shut off when the idle went too low. We set the RPM higher and fixed the first issue. Two, randomly when it ran, after a while of driving, when you pressed down on the gas pedal, the car would no longer accelerate, and would make a sound as if you were pressing down on and releasing the gas pedal in neutral. VrOOOooom... vroooOooommm... And the only way to fix it seems to be to turn the car off and back on.

Replaced parts so far:

Spark plugs

Spark plug wires

Cap

Rotor

ECM (changed nothing)

Throttle position sensor (has large room for adjustment, but I don't know what to adjust it to)

Throttle body (was left on, but cleaned with carb cleaner)

Air filter

(Only one sensor left unreplaced, the mass air flow sensor.)

(Normally, it runs decent, but sporadically, when you press down on the gas pedal, it just 'revs' at really low RPMs and won't accelerate at all. There's a sort of 'sweet spot' that you can use on the gas pedal to make it accelerate, but it does so extremely slowly. It can usually be fixed by turning it off and back on. It happens very randomly, but generally seems to happen after the engine has warmed up. Additionally, the left light (both light mechanisms fully replaced) will take several tries to get it to close.)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula T-Top
Engine: 350 TPI + some bits
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Need a Mechanic Near Kissimmee

I'm not clear if you are looking for advice or a mechanic to take it to locally. Either way you can see throwing parts at it is not working whoever is doing it. So you might clarify what you want.

If you want help here there are a ton of knowledgeable people. You may want to lure some in with some details like any engine mods, if you have tested injectors and fuel pressure (presuming this is an injected car), are any codes being thrown.

Sounds to me like if you've spend the $ on a paint job you prolly need to invest in the factory service manual. Great troubleshooting charts in there. It's 1800+ pages of ad nauseum detail.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need a Mechanic Near Kissimmee

There are no codes given. I'm looking for a mechanic to attempt to diagnose and fix the issue. I'll check the injectors and fuel pressure soon.