Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Can anyone recommend me a general mechanic/shop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone recommend me a general mechanic/shop?

Hey everyone,
Looking to get a couple of my third gens up and running, but don't really trust taking my cars anywhere.
The place I used to take my car to changed ownership and unfortunately are not as good as they used to be. Can anyone on here recommend a good mechanic or shop that is competent and fair with their pricing?
Specifically I am looking to get my 83 T/A up and running and able to pass smog. It currently has a CEL and idles high on cold starts. I also need to get a few things taken care of on my 84 Firebird and 91 Formula, but those are not as pressing.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4 4BBL
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Can anyone recommend me a general mechanic/shop?

Chaps Auto repair in Orange CA, Son and Father operation, They have worked on my 86 IROC and my 89 FORMULA 350. The son Chris JR does the heavy work while the father Chris SR. does the lighter stuff, oils changes, book keeping etc

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chaps-auto-repair-orange

If you go tell them Mike from FedEx referred you
Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: As far as I know

Don't know a damn thing about mechanics in California, but what I have suggested to others, is try different "big boys" like Sears, PepBoys, Firestone, etc. with relatively easy stuff. I say this because, like you, I had a great mechanic who knew I worked on my own cars, did good work at a fair price and never tried to screw me on work I didn't need. The firdt time I went into the shop with the new owner for a New York State inspection, he told me I needed new brake and fuel lines, as well as ball joints. A friend recommended this Firestone place where the car passed inspection and they told me the parts I asked about were fine. Now 3 years later, they still are. PepBoys in Pittsburgh screwed my son on a brake job that was never done. So there are the usual cheaters out there, but the big shops are less likely to con you. However, if I had a privately owned repair shop that had been recommended by someone, that would be my preference. I hope for your sake that this place in Orange isn't too far away. Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Dyno Don? He's the best TPI mechanic around.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
I hear he's amazing, but he didn't even respond to my voicemail or forum message about getting work done. The OP may have to search elsewhere. /shrug
Old 08-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you right away, I can't do anything in a hurry and you seemed to be in rush.

I have people waiting to get in for work and I work alone.

Sorry....maybe next time.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ledman66
Chaps Auto repair in Orange CA, Son and Father operation, They have worked on my 86 IROC and my 89 FORMULA 350. The son Chris JR does the heavy work while the father Chris SR. does the lighter stuff, oils changes, book keeping etc

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chaps-auto-repair-orange

If you go tell them Mike from FedEx referred you
Might have to give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
I did send Don a PM a while back about my 84 Firebird and more recently about the 83 T/A but he had said he was pretty busy and didn't really get back to me if he would be able to work on the T/A.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you right away, I can't do anything in a hurry and you seemed to be in rush.

I have people waiting to get in for work and I work alone.

Sorry....maybe next time.
I believe there's an auto mechanic program at Saddleback. You could maybe find an apprentice there?

Realistically I don't think I'd ever "wait" any length of time for any mechanic. If you are too busy to take a car in 2-3 weeks, then (to me, the customer) you aren't managing your time well (i.e. overbooked and not enough help). You can always grab a helper to handle the basics, leaving you to deal with the higher end stuff that requires your specialty knowledge. You push more cars through the door, more customers are served; everyone's happy.

With TPI becoming older by the year, you're definitely one of the few out there that knows the ins and outs as well as you do. More people could then benefit from that, and you could probably make a bit more cash too. I did spend just shy of 4 grand at another shop after I had came to you first, which is potential profit lost on your end.

Just my 2c and suggestions.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by thtanner
I believe there's an auto mechanic program at Saddleback. You could maybe find an apprentice there?

Realistically I don't think I'd ever "wait" any length of time for any mechanic. If you are too busy to take a car in 2-3 weeks, then (to me, the customer) you aren't managing your time well (i.e. overbooked and not enough help). You can always grab a helper to handle the basics, leaving you to deal with the higher end stuff that requires your specialty knowledge. You push more cars through the door, more customers are served; everyone's happy.

With TPI becoming older by the year, you're definitely one of the few out there that knows the ins and outs as well as you do. More people could then benefit from that, and you could probably make a bit more cash too. I did spend just shy of 4 grand at another shop after I had came to you first, which is potential profit lost on your end.

Dude...
I am not in this to make money, I retired years ago.

I just love working on these cars and helping people,
If your not one of them ...ok that's fine.

I would love to teach someone to take over.

So chill out will you
Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s

Originally Posted by thtanner

There is a reason why Don is busy. The rest of us recognize that we need Don and accept that he is busy.

The rest of us owe you a big THANKS for eliminating yourself from Don's pool of customers.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Parrydise7
There is a reason why Don is busy. The rest of us recognize that we need Don and accept that he is busy.

The rest of us owe you a big THANKS for eliminating yourself from Don's pool of customers.
I'm glad constructive criticism is taken negatively in these parts.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. I said THANKS, as a way of conveying my appreciation, and you take that as a negative? For whatever reason, you took my comment the wrong way, so let me reiterate that I TRULY appreciate your decision! And, I know that many others appreciate your decision as well. I SINCERELY mean that!!!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Yea, your sarcasm is nothing more than negative and rude; I was at least being constructive. If this is the type of community this place has, then I'm sure I'll see myself out quickly. I won't be too missed I am sure based on everything I see here.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

You confuse gratitude with sarcasm and rudeness. That is unsurprising since you also confuse your ignorance about Don and his shop with "constructive" criticism.

Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 5.7 Iroc, 2000 SS
Engine: Vortec Hot cam TPI/LS1
Transmission: Pro-Built/T-56

THTANNER, I've only worked with Don once. I needed some exhaust work done & he didn't have the time. I went elsewhere - That simple. Went to a local exhaust expert, Ed Hansen. That being said if I would have waited till Don had an opening - I would have gotten a better set up for my specific car. what I have is an 8.5 if I had waited for Don I'd have a 10.

Needed a custom cold air and my car tuned by Kevin. They had a slot and I took it. They do great work. Don is one of those guys that LOVES the sport and Thirdgens, and only does this as a service to the thirdgen community. He has a rich history of racing & it shows in the quality of work he does. Not a "Business", but a professoinal, who happens to be a true enthusiast. Plain and simple, you can't wait, you miss out.

And to tell the truth you do come off as someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Your constructive advice was not warranted.

Don and Kevin have contributed greatly to the thirdgen community, and are head and shoulders above some of the people out there doing "custom" or "repair" work. Plus it's not their day job, so yeah you need to chill.