Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Suspension and Chassis
Register Forgot Password?

Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)

new shocks struts...raise height?

I have read a couple time that people who have put on new gas struts/shocks have said the car now sits higher. Is there any truth to this? I am looking at getting some KYB or tockico (stock spring, don't have lowering springs) but am now concerned it could turn into a 4x4! I certainly don't want it any higher, could that happen??

thanks.
eddie jr is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Saturn SL2
Engine: 4 cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic

Send a message via AIM to Nate86
Depends on how bad your current shocks and struts are worn out.

When I changed out my shocks and struts, the old ones were so worn that they didn't even "uncompress" when I took them out. I could easily move them in either direction, which is not good at all. I replaced them with some cheapie AZ parts. The front end definately sat a little bit higher than it did before... if I had to guess I'd probably estimate 1/4" to 1/2". Nothing dramatic, but after driving it almost every day for about a year it was pretty easy to tell for me. The rear end stayed at the same height as far as I could tell.

In any case, I don't think it's going to dramatically affect your car's ride height. If anything, it'll probably just put it right back to where it should be stock.
Nate86 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS

Classifieds Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to DuronClocker
You can get some oil shocks (I think they are considered oil shocks) like the Koni Red stuff and they don't push up at all. Not as cheap as KYBs though.
DuronClocker is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #4

Car: too many ...

Well, the springs control the ride height, not the struts/shocks. A correct install of struts/shocks should not change the ride height as far as I know. If the ride height did change then something might have happened with the springs, most commonly they are not indexed properly. Since the springs need to come out to do the struts its easy for this to happen (I've done it myself).
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Saturn SL2
Engine: 4 cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic

Send a message via AIM to Nate86
Hmm, I don't know about that. I replaced my struts without touching the springs at all.
Nate86 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #6

Car: city bus
Engine: turbo diesel
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: be damned if I know, it's not mine

shocks and stuff....

I'd definitly get new springs, even if the are the stock ride height. As for the car sitting higher, the suspension just needs to wear in a little. Even if you are using lowering springs, you will not get the full lowering effect until all those springs have been "massaged in". I think it's 500 miles, give or take, (don't quote me on this though) to break a new suspension in (stock or lowered).

Last edited by Abaddon_fallen1; 03-22-2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Abaddon_fallen1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Suspension and Chassis

Tags
break, car, height, heights, higher, increase, put, raise, raised, ride, rides, shocks, springs, struts, why