Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Rs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '82 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 with powetrax
Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Rs

Any body tried these on anything yet or know some one who has. They look a hell of alot better than old sportsmans and theyre radials and hopefully would last a lot longer than a et street radial. Im thinking about them for my Z28 debating which size would be better for the rear 26X10.00R15LT or 26X12.00R15LT Im worried about the bigger ones rubbing. Im probably going to be getting a set of weld prostars to put them on what would be the best offset and backspacing to use?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Rs

I am running a set of 26x10 18's and really like em on the street. Lots of bite and they seem to handle very good. Treadwear so far has been excellent. IIRC they have 5K miles on em and don't show any wear. My only peeve is they are only rated to 130mph.....
Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

i dont know if i would get those as a traction based tire.
an et street radial is one of the best hoooking tires there is if youre suspension can handle it. not to mention they drive like a dream.
dry roads of course.....
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Yeah if I my choice Id run ET street radials but they wear out WAY too fast and I log quite a bit of street time in the '82 and want somthin that has a wear rating of more than 0 Im not looking for somthing that will last a million miles but I need more that an ET will give me.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

id say a bfg, but youd be better off running ice blocks for tires.
ive been through 2 sets of the MT's this year, but im hard on them.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM

I was looking at the BFG kdws or whatever theyre called but they are real hard and like you say ice blocks and Id probably burn through 2-3 sets of ET streets in a year. Im also hard on tires. What can I say ladies like loud cars and tire smoke. That and now and then you just need to john force it out of the water box and burn them past the tree. God I miss the small motor and street tires with eneough heat a street tire will hook if you dont get to nutty with launching it but now that Ill have in the neighbor hood of 525-550 horse I need a decent tire lol.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: 357ci
Transmission: G-Force t-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10bolt mini spool

If you are looking for daily use tires M/T does not make ANY tires intended for daily use. Not even their truck tire stand up well to road use. They are designed around a specific set of class rules that call for a D.O.T. registration and they make the BEST tire to fit those rules. The S/R is as close to a dd tire as they make, but still "INTENDED" for "weekend warrior"/"cruise in" cars. With those kind of HP numbers you WILL HAVE to make certain sacrifices. Tire life is just ONE of those. The S/R will not be a good choice for launching the car as it is not a drag tire by ANY stretch. I believe it is what amounts to a modern version of the old Indy Profile bias tire----the ones we always called "spindy profiles". You may want to look at the BFG auto-x type tire for life on the street, but then you still wont "hook" on those either.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Its not a daily driver by any means but in the summer it usually sees thurs-friday evenings and saturday-sunday. It doesnt have to dead hook Im used to spinning some and can live with it. Id looked at BFGs stuff but they dont make anything in a 15 and with the weld prostars Im getting Im locked to a 15 and M/T is the only company out there with anything decent in a 15 I wish they made an ET radial with a little harder compound to live a while longer. I know all about sacrifices just trying to find the middle of the ground tire there has to be somthin out there that can go a couple thousand miles and kinda hook. Whats the most miles anyone has on a set of ET radials?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: 357ci
Transmission: G-Force t-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10bolt mini spool

Sounds like the et street-radial is what ya need then. Have no experience with them ----yet----as soon as the sportsman pro's are shot I'll be goin that way myself. Im in the same boat 600 miles last year street miles that is. I have seen them DEAD hook on 1000hp cars at the track but thats the only place ive seen them and ALL on track only cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by awilson82
Its not a daily driver by any means but in the summer it usually sees thurs-friday evenings and saturday-sunday. It doesnt have to dead hook Im used to spinning some and can live with it. Id looked at BFGs stuff but they dont make anything in a 15 and with the weld prostars Im getting Im locked to a 15 and M/T is the only company out there with anything decent in a 15 I wish they made an ET radial with a little harder compound to live a while longer. I know all about sacrifices just trying to find the middle of the ground tire there has to be somthin out there that can go a couple thousand miles and kinda hook. Whats the most miles anyone has on a set of ET radials?
No drag tire expert here, but I have run M/T ET Streets for track use and Nitto 555R as well as these M/T Sportsman SR's as well as numerous Z rated radials for daily street use. My car is no powerhouse but should plant down close to 380RWHP. I use the car for DD in the summer on nice days and Friday and Saturday nite cruising. As stated before, I actually have these tires on my car. For the intended use they are a very good compromise radial tire. I say spend the money and enjoy. They are not the next best thing to sliced bread but for what else is out there they are a very good tire for light to light city driving as well as highway cruising. Nobody can tell me you can criuse at 90mph with one hand on the wheel and feel safe with a set of ET Sreets or comparible. Nitto's or BFG KWD's are same class, but I can tell you 555r's will not handle rain like these Sportsman S/R tires atleast on my cars. ET Street Radials are a very nice tire that will dead hook and still get you home, but they don't give great mileage like the S/R's on my car have so far. Like I said before 5K miles and they look like they will last this season and maybe into 2009 as well....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM

Yeah Im thinking the best compromise at this time is the SRs there just isnt alot out there in the street/strip tire market for 15 inch rims. Its a shame they dont do a ET street radial in a harder compound as a compromise but oh well. I rund generally 4-8k miles a year in the Z and I may do more now that Ill have overdrive with the new 700r. Rain isnt an issue for me the car doesnt see it. Ive already learned a powertrax and skinny street tires dont work in the rain and now I check the forcast before I drive the car on a 100 mile round trip. I also learned my wipers didnt work that trip....fun fun. RainX will save your life lol. If I can make it through 2 or close to 2 seasons on a rear tire Id be happy with it. With an ET street I might get 1/2 a season lol. I dont do too much "cruising" at 90 but I wouldnt wanna drive all day at 70-75 with an ET street.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 90RS Conv.
Engine: 383 w/ small shot
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: moser 9in

How about an update? anyone want to comment on these tires after 3 yrs.?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

just do what I am going to do. Run 2 sets. im running some toyo luxury tire then i'll have a set of drag radials mounted on rims for messign around and racing.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: L03, Chip, Magna, Hi-flo cats
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just a word on BFG Radial T/A's - 29K as a daily driver and they're SHOT. And I am easy on tires - ALL four have been rotated properly and ALL FOUR are shot. No excessive cornering - the main tread wear shows in the middle rows of tread.

Looking for a new 15" RWL tire that delivers better mileage. What about the mileage on your M/T Sportsmans? Faring any better?