Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Who makes the better strut mount?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Who makes the better strut mount?

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91
So yours is 1" taller than stock, i.e. the same height as the Spohn unit. Correct?
I can't speak for what the Spohn unit is as I have never seen one other than over the internet on photos. Our camber plates raise the mounting point of the strut up 1" over factory.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro
Engine: 555 BBC
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Aluminum Moser 3.89

Just wanted to give some feedback on the Founders mounts. I scraped the back bumper last week and came down hard. The mounts are still in their original shape but the sheet metal isn't. I just reinforced the strut area and they bolted back in great. I just completed the Mustang Strange coilover set up.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im looking at these. I dont want anything taller than stock and seems like height is adjustable on these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-CASTER...ht_1397wt_1270
seller id is ultraprivate
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im looking at these. I dont want anything taller than stock and seems like height is adjustable on these
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
The hardware on those look very chincy. I would go with founders or another brand.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Are umi caster mounts any good?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

I would think so. A few searches should yield a ton of info on this, but a brief of what I remember reading. Remember this is the best I can remember so please do your own research to confirm this.

J&M products or Hotpart.com is the same as Founders. Housings are made by the same third party or something like that. Founders recently upgraded the bearing in theirs. UMI's look identical to both of these. Not all of them use the same clip/snap ring/ etc to hold the bearing in.

Spohn are different design.

there was and argument a 2 years ago about the spohn style vs the other 3 brands that if either one was to fail, which would be safer. They said if the spohn failed, they would fail upward and if any of the other brands failed they would fail downward. Its an interesting read if you can find it. Just make sure the bearings are good and tight inside the housings. they should be a perfect and tight fit. If the bearings are at all loose, send them back for new ones.

I bought J&M Products/Hotpart.com CC plates, I think now I could have saved a few bucks buying founders or I could have bought UMI so that it matched other parts in the suspension. I doubt it really matters which ones you buy. Even the spohn would be fine if you like them.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Question for those of you that are running aftermarket mounts on the street in a daily driven car... do you notice a harsher ride with the elimination of the rubber mount? I do not need these mounts but I may upgrade to them if I can incorporate a spacer under them that allows me to mount a STB to each side. I do not want holes drilled in my car at all so the only alternative is to build a special strut tower brace that uses the mounting studs for the strut mount.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
Question for those of you that are running aftermarket mounts on the street in a daily driven car... do you notice a harsher ride with the elimination of the rubber mount?
Nothing harsh with either the Spohn or Founders versions.

JamesC
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc z
Engine: 5.7 liter Tune port 383 stroker
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Guys we have been having this issue who makes a better strut mount, spoons? UMI, or founders? There are also a few guys who actually make them from this site who is actually the best that money can buy, he made some ans sold them to others here, I've contacted him a while back and he don't do them anymore, sad to say he made them the right way as he was a or still loves these 3rd gen's,

Ok, here is the real deal as I am a 3rd gen lover to; I actually sell parts here in Houston tx, helped put over 40 plus cars back on the road in the last 3 years to get part out 3rd gen's and sell parts so I know all to everything about these cars and what are the best to go with, so lissen up guys: the real deal here:

First of all, u want a suspension set up that will rock like a corvette right? Daily first:

For all Iroc z cars and Trans am cars: (formulas/B4c's) to:
U have the cash?

1) Front Struts: yellow koni's adjustable,

2) koni yellow adjustable rears for 93-2002 or get the pre-adjustable ones (same to me)

3) front away bar: any manufacture will work (36.5mm)

4) 1 inch to 3/4 inch lowered springs, both rears the same to have a nice stance and force, don't get 1 inch front and 2 inch rears as it will look horrable like a race car stance, (my personal 2 cents)

5) strut mounts caster plates:

Spoons/founders will be the best at this point, unless your doing some serious road driving, but remember! U will most likely drive it daily or with a girl friend or wife, so stick with founders/spoons / ball swivel type

6) change your front bushings to performance ones: any type will do, Polly is the best because it won't go out in 5 years like others will do, even stock ones to. (2 years) just get them changed out when doing the suspension sys. A must

7) our gear boxes are the 2.5 ratio turning circle, they wore out after several years, just have it rebuilt if u have even a little bit of play into it as this will make your suspension sys not work good and make your car feel like u just done nothing to it: u can also self adjust it to if needed: or get a new one for less then 200,

8) rear: important of all:
24mm away bar
Pan hard bar
Adjustable on car rear control arms (get the single bolt in on one side and the swivel on the other side, don't get the both swivel ones as they say it's better, after 300 miles or less u will hear clunks, breaks, and or knocks coming from the swivel on 1 end,

And most important when doing the springs, u will need to level out the car what all these parts, spoons makes the rear re-location kit, get the weld in one, not the bolt in ones, after a few hundred sharp turns the hole will grow, and will become a little bit whollably,

9) if u want to do this right?
Spoons weld in sub-frame connectors are the best out there, don't spend your cash on bolt ins, again we have 30 year old cars not new ones or 10 year olds, they will whorp out or cut out soon, u need the spoons ones because they offer the complete box type not like others who only give 3-4 bars, spoons has the complete set up for a few hundred or less

Front strut brace don't matter which one that u get, that's only preferences to you on design, but get one that u will like (cheap) 99 and up,

For the coil overs guys who want the best out there, the sub-connectors and more,

BE CAREFUL!
Have 3 friends who spent over 2500 for this set up, they ordered the best coil overs and chamber casters by the best out there,
I've seen them personally and asked all 3 of them what they think and feel?
Comment said 1....

Well, wish I would of done my research before I got into this,

Comment 2,

I wanted to travel the open roads and handled fine and ripped the roads good, but only on a straight line and I'm corners, can't use this car to take out on weekends, my wife's back took a beaten......

Comment 3,

I wanted the best for my 92 z28, and got everything that was the most money I can find, because I just wanted the best for my car, boy was I surprised how harsh any little bump feels, I used it as my daily driver and had to park it and buy me another car, it's not meant to drive it on a daily basis,

So there u go,
The handling is fantastic to say, but don't plan on taking it out over bumps or use it to go to work unless u get air bags to keep u from a headache & back pain,

Remember get adjustable koni's as they also have the same type of feel as u can adjust it to feel at setting 3 turn, which is at hard feelings:

You v6 guys I recommend that u can do the same thing, your car turns the same, and u can get more out of it but with only 1/2 described above,

There u go: it's all preference to you, and 1 last thing, don't ever get Monroe SHOCKS, u will regreat it a lot, there junk, (14.99) to (19.99)

KYB Pwrformance shocks believe it or not have the same feeling as any performance shock out there with 1 factory setting: they handle so great it's not funny, but get the black kyb ones that have a 1 to them when ordering them and there so cheap under 200 for all 4, on eBay or other websites:

As for the caster chambers as this listing is needed to know: I also done my research on this subject: I've went with founders myself, had a issue with damage to the swivel ball when I got my set up, they replaced them without me sending them back the other ones, so all worked out good,

I will post Picts of all that I've listed that is on my car,
I will also post a video with full details to show u what I mean of how the feel is,

Hope this helped u guys out where:

And remember DONT Store these cars away to rust, fix them up there worth the investment to see them back on the road More then mustang gt's

God bless
John
Iroc z parts and supplies