Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

dropping rear end... noticed some stuff along the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
dropping rear end... noticed some stuff along the way

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing my fuel pump and you guys know the work involved with that lol. For starters, I noticed that the driver's side axle has almost a 1/4 inch of play, meaning if I grab the drum I can move it in and out of the rear end almost a 1/4 inch, but up and down it feels solid. There is no play at all in the passenger side. Does that mean it's time for new bearings? That play might explain why the car always felt a little squeamish at highway speeds, even with a brand new front end.

I also removed the upper panhard brace and I noticed it was bent, I'm thinking this is for exhaust clearance but I became a little concerned when I noticed a dent in the exhaust pipe in that area. Here's a picture of the brace and tell me what you think of it:

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  58.5 KB

And the e-brake on my car doesn't work. It might engage if I yank it up a few times but even then I believe only one wheel is catching. What should I look for?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: dropping rear end... noticed some stuff along the way

the rear has c-clips, so play in and out is normal.

the upper panhard brace it a bent, twisted, f-ed up looking piece of steel from the factory, your looks perfectly normal.

what rear brakes do you have? that will tell us what wrong with the parking brake

\
Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Car: 00 SSEi / 94 C4
Engine: 231 / 383
Transmission: 4T65E / ZF 6sp
Axle/Gears: 2.93 / Dana 44 3:45

you mean you have side play when you push the axle in & out
they usually have the same wear... it would be wise to replace both axle bearings
the upper brace is designed with a radius for exhaust clearance

and check all e brake cables for binding
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 377ci
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: QP Ford 9" 3.70s

Yea replacing the fuel pump is the 7th circle of hell. I honestly believe the tank was the first piece on the production line. I have done it 3 times and none of them have been easy. On a side note my exhaust and rear suspension are top notch.

You Panhard brace looks fine. AS long as it fits and the metal is not yeilded it will do its job no matter what it looks like. If you need an excuse for you or your wife to upgrade, that thing is smoked, it will never work again :-)

These rear axles, in my opinion are disposable. If it rolls freely and is not making noise save your cash for a better axle.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\

what rear brakes do you have? that will tell us what wrong with the parking brake

\
I have drum brakes.

Originally Posted by 88gta3508
you mean you have side play when you push the axle in & out
they usually have the same wear... it would be wise to replace both axle bearings
the upper brace is designed with a radius for exhaust clearance

and check all e brake cables for binding
Yep there's play when I push it in and out, so it would be wise to replace the bearings considering that one side is tighter than the other?

Originally Posted by DAVECS1
Yea replacing the fuel pump is the 7th circle of hell. I honestly believe the tank was the first piece on the production line. I have done it 3 times and none of them have been easy. On a side note my exhaust and rear suspension are top notch.

You Panhard brace looks fine. AS long as it fits and the metal is not yeilded it will do its job no matter what it looks like. If you need an excuse for you or your wife to upgrade, that thing is smoked, it will never work again :-)

These rear axles, in my opinion are disposable. If it rolls freely and is not making noise save your cash for a better axle.
Yeah i think I might go find a disk rear end since I'm going through all of this work. I'll have to find a decent one for a decent price though!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 377ci
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: QP Ford 9" 3.70s

To bad you are so far away I would let yo have mine minus the brakes they are going on the new 9", but those parts are not to bad to buy. Especially with a free axle.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by musclecar70sfan
I have drum brakes.

Yep there's play when I push it in and out, so it would be wise to replace the bearings considering that one side is tighter than the other?

Yeah i think I might go find a disk rear end since I'm going through all of this work. I'll have to find a decent one for a decent price though!
ls1 style 4th gen disc work very well on a drum axle, very simple mod. almost a bolt in deal if you didnt have to cut the axle flange down a little.

if we are talking about a 10 bolt, the axle bearings dont press onto the axle. There are no bearings holding the axle in and out, they just slid in and are held in with c-clips. the axle bearings, if worn, would produce side to side movement in the axle, and the OP doesnt seem to have that.

again, i will say, this play you feel is normal. But if you have the rear all apart, new bearing wont hurt, but may not be needed

the other side may not be moving do to other reasons. If bearings are to blame for any in and out movement, the bearings in question would be the carrier bearings, and if they were that loose, you probably would have gernaded the rear by now.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Often, if the bearings are bad, you'll have leaking diff fluid on the axle end and on the inside of the rim. Here's a how-to, should that be the case:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...ing-axles.html

JamesC