Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing: A How-To

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing: A How-To

Which Jeep Steering Shaft Will Fit My Thirdgen?

Apparently all 1984-1994 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) shafts will fit (and who knows, there may be other years). Note the following info from The Parts Bin:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...cid=tpbfroogle

The upper and lower bolts on the XJ that I pulled are 1/2”. (I’ve read that early models are 7/16”, later models 1/2”). The inside diameter of the upper coupler (as it bolts to the steering column shaft) is approximately 7/8”. The outer diameter is approximately 1 7/8”.

BTW, the Cherokee shafts are plentiful, at least in my area. I purchased mine at a Pick-In-Pull for $10.50. The counter man threw in the Astro bearings for nothing.

The Grande Cherokee shafts are problematic as some upper couplers have the correct 7/8” inside diameter while others are smaller, and as a consequence, won’t fit. What years offer what shaft/coupler, I can’t say. At this point, if you’re pulling from a Grande Cherokee, a measurement would be a safe bet.

A removal note: You may have to yank the Jeep gear box itself (three bolts) to remove the shaft—I did at any rate.

EDIT: The second time around, I simply heated the shaft on car and used a pry bar to push the lower coupler off the gear box.

How Do I Prepare the Shaft?

Mine came with a grooved plastic cover on the lower shaft (Pic #1 & #2). I twisted it free with a simple flat-bladded screwdriver. Standing the shaft upright, gear box end down, I heated the upper portion, a 2" section from where the two pieces join (Pic #3), with a Propane torch for a matter of two or three minutes. Being very mindful of the hot metal, I held the shaft by the upper coupler and whacked the lower coupler with a brass hammer until the shaft fell free. Afterward, I cleaned the lower shaft of residue and lubed it with white grease. At that point the upper and lower portions of the shaft moved freely in and out.

How Do I Remove the OE Thirdgen Shaft?

(If your car is equipped with an air bag, take note of the warning on the stone shield.)

Verify that the steering wheel is locked and the front wheels are straight. Much of the below is from my GM shop manual.

1. Disengage the stone shield from the boss on steering gear housing or adapter. Remove the pinch bolt from the flexible coupling.
2. Remove the upper coupling clamp to steering shaft attaching bolt and nut.
3. Push up on the shaft to remove it from steering gear stub (I used a small pry bar and some PB Blaster), then pull down until the upper coupler is removed from steering shaft.
4. You may wish to install the Astro Van bearing at this point (info below).

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0296.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0298.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0354.jpg  

Last edited by JamesC; 09-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM

re: Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing: A How-To

How Do I Install the Jeep Shaft?

The thirdgen steering column shaft will require a touch of the Dremel in order for the Jeep pinch bolt to freely pass (Pic #3). The coupler over the column shaft is tight, so to make mock up easier, I spread the pinch a bit. I stuck a chisel between the lips of the pinch and screwed the bolt in against it two or three turns.

1. Install the upper coupler on the steering shaft and install/tighten the bolt. The Jeep bolts have blue Locktite.
2. Pull down on the shaft to install on steering gear stub. The coupling must be fully seated so splines are not visible between coupler and gear. Install/tighten the bolt.

What Astro Van Bearing Do I Need and Why?

A 90’s version. They’re an actual bearing instead of a plastic bushing. Pic #1 is the OE piece and #2 is the Astro bearing.

How Do I Remove and Install the Astro Bearing?

The bearing is located on the column where it protrudes through the firewall. When pulling it from the van, you’ll need to cut the protective rubber boot* that encases the upper steering shaft coupler and bearing. Unbolt the coupler. Afterward the clip and collar can be removed. The bearing pulls/pries off. Apparently, there are two versions of the Astro bearing. As a consequence, take the bearing AND its cap. More info about that issue below:

* https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...g-bearing.html

With the thirdgen shaft removed, and before you install the Jeep shaft, remove the OE thirdgen bushing as above and install the Astro bearing in reverse order: bearing, cap, clip.

Finished (without cap and clip). Pic #3.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0334.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0313.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0328.jpg  

Last edited by JamesC; 02-02-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
re: Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing: A How-To

I've seen threads about using the Astro van steering shaft. I haven't noticed my steering being that bad. What difference does the Astro shaft make?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 AM

Re: Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing: A How-To

Originally Posted by Base91
I've seen threads about using the Astro van steering shaft. I haven't noticed my steering being that bad. What difference does the Astro shaft make?
I swapped in a Jeep shaft, but the difference is no doubt the same. After replacing a 20+ year-old rag joint with U-joints, your car’s steering may well feel tighter and more responsive--unless the remainder of the system is 20+ years old as well, in which case those issues should to be addressed before adding a Jeep or Astro shaft.

The Jeep shaft, BTW, is a near bolt-in, while the Astro shaft requires modification. A search will provide more info on that subject.

Both will increase in-cabin noise--at least that was the case for me.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0335.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0337.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0331.jpg  

Last edited by JamesC; 12-26-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z & 92 RS
Engine: 350 TPI & LQ4 408 in the works
Transmission: 700R4 & T-56
Axle/Gears: stock/ LT1 disc 3.42

I totally understand replacing the probable worn out plastic bushing for the longer lasting bearing, but is it needed or is it while things are apart and accessible, upgrade? I wonder if gm still makes this bearing?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenfever
is it needed or is it while things are apart and accessible, upgrade?

I wonder if gm still makes this bearing?
I probably wouldn't have replaced the bearing if the area hadn't been easily accessible with the steering shaft swap.

I'd pick one up at a pick and pull, along with a staft, if you're interested. Look up Astro van bearing and the cost will give you saucer eyes.

JamesC
Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Humm, a few days into the shaft swap and a problem arose: Essentially the damper is slipping inside the upper coupler, causing a spot where there is no steering input. Check pics #1 and #2 below. I've yanked the Jeep shaft and gone to the Astro van version, which I believe at this point to be a much better choice. I've added comparison pics to the following link (page #3):

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...-steering.html

The failed shaft is on the left, a good one on the right (pic #3, which is for sale) Check the classifieds if you're interested in the latter. Note the positions of the damper on the two shafts. Whether that position contributed to the failure or whether there was a design change, I'm unsure. The lower shafts, however, are stamped with the same number, 007020.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0355.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0357.jpg   Installing a Jeep Steering Shaft & Astro Van Bearing:  A How-To-img_0360.jpg  

Last edited by JamesC; 05-23-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Old and Ignorant
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42

couple questions: do you think heating the shaft to pull it apart deteriorated the rubber at all, weakening it? also do you think that the coupler could be removed, clean off all rubber, sleeve the shaft and weld on the coupler? i think this swap is awesome and i have to do some diggin thru all my and my freinds stuff because we've parted 3 XJs, have one yet to part, and have an older Astro hanging out too. I dont know if youve looked into it, but i know the older (84-96) XJs have a GM style column, does the bearing parts off of one of those work and is it better than the F body ones? or is it just the astro van bearing the one that works?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 72vega
couple questions: do you think heating the shaft to pull it apart deteriorated the rubber at all, weakening it?

also do you think that the coupler could be removed, clean off all rubber, sleeve the shaft and weld on the coupler? ...and have an older Astro hanging out too.

I dont know if youve looked into it, but i know the older (84-96) XJs have a GM style column, does the bearing parts off of one of those work and is it better than the F body ones? or is it just the astro van bearing the one that works?
There is a possibility that heat was the culprit. I didn't know where the plastic was located on the first shaft, so I perhaps went a bit high. Stay within the 2" range and I'd think all would be fine.

Possible, but the Astro shaft would be less time intensive--and in my opinion a more solid piece in general.

I'm uncertain about the XJ bearings and/or bushings.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-18-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

So I just took a trip to my local Pick-N-Pull to pick up a steering shaft from an astro. I decided to pull a couple just for comparison because someone in another thread mentioned that he got one from a Safari that required absolutely no modification to work. I ended up finding three differently designed steering shafts. The first one was from a '97 2wd Safari and I don't think it was air bag equipped. This one fit but is 90* off. The second one was from a '94 AWD Safari with an airbag but this one is entirely too short. The last one was from a '96 2wd astro with an airbag and was designed like the second one but the joint is clocked about 10-15* clockwise. So it's apparent that not everyone one is the same. I think I'll go back and just get one from a Cherokee.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks, DBLTKE,

Good info.

JamesC
Old 12-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 9" spooled 3.70

Originally Posted by DBLTKE
So I just took a trip to my local Pick-N-Pull to pick up a steering shaft from an astro. I decided to pull a couple just for comparison because someone in another thread mentioned that he got one from a Safari that required absolutely no modification to work. I ended up finding three differently designed steering shafts. The first one was from a '97 2wd Safari and I don't think it was air bag equipped. This one fit but is 90* off. The second one was from a '94 AWD Safari with an airbag but this one is entirely too short. The last one was from a '96 2wd astro with an airbag and was designed like the second one but the joint is clocked about 10-15* clockwise. So it's apparent that not everyone one is the same. I think I'll go back and just get one from a Cherokee.
How short is the awd one? I'm putting a 4th gen column so it might work for me. Also the 97 had to have air bags as it was standard starting in 90.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

It was approximately 2/3 the length of the other one I had pulled.

BTW: what size are the bolts for the jeep steering shaft? Apparently I didn't keep them so I need to pick some up from the hardware store and it would be easiest to know what I'm looking for without having to take the shaft with me.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Since there seems to be a renewed interest in the Jeep shaft, I'll give this a bump.

JamesC
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 9" spooled 3.70

I used an astro steering shaft from a 98 and column from an 02 camaro. Direct bolt in using that combo.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Bumping this back up real quick - what holds the oem top bushing in place? I've got my oem shaft out atm for other reasons; the bushing has a bit of play in it and I want to pull it out to check it.

It looks pretty fragile plastic, I'm hesitant to apply too much prying force on it in case it breaks - then I'm boned. I've got the rubber o-ring off the front, is there a retaining clip or something as well? If so, can't see it.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM

There's a retaining clip, a cap, and under the cap the bushing. Check post #7 (first pic) of the following link for a pic:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...g-bearing.html

JamesC
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Thanks JamesC. Looking at that pic, mine is missing the cap and circlip - must have been lost when the rhd conversion was done. I gather then that the bush should just push straight out, so I gather up some courage and applied as much pressure as I dared.

It started reluctantly moving, but I didn't bother pulling out all the way - clearly the play is between the bushing and outer housing, due to the absence of the cap and clip. I'll jam something in there.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Great thread, I used it before swapping out my shaft to the Astro shaft and bearing. I did want to add in one small note that I thought needed some clarity for those of us who have never removed steering shafts.

3. Push up on the shaft to remove it from steering gear stub (I used a small pry bar and some PB Blaster), then pull down until the upper coupler is removed from steering shaft.

The pry bar he is referring to goes between the front steering shaft knuckle and the steering box/gear box. I had to put/use a thick, long screw driver as a pry bar placed between those two pieces. The steering shaft will compress enough together to remove it from the steering gear input shaft. Before doing it I was very nervous about if that was the correct thing to do, then after I felt like slapping myself over the head..... Again I had no experience with steering shafts before this. Hope this helps someone else.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77

Just curious, what are the symptoms of the lower shaft bearing being bad? Do you get scraping or clunking noises? Loose steering feel? I'm pretty sure mine is bad since I can grab the shaft where the bearing is at and move it up and down.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

After reading this thread last Winter and with a jeep shaft sitting around waiting to go into my 87 I decided to try something different to loosen the shaft and avoid damage to the damper.

Set it in the freezer overnight and lightly tapped it free while keeping the shaft in a vise to prevent pressure on the damper. So far, so good. Thanks James.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 AM

A bit more info:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&fr=aaplw&tt=b

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-18-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Back from the dead
I'm trying to decide on whether to go with the Astro or the XJ Jeep shaft. Now that it's been a few years can you give your opinion the Jeep steering shaft? Also is there a part number for the Astro bearing? I would rather install a brand bearing than a used one.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM

I abandoned the the whole affair.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...van-shaft.html

JamesC
Old 09-19-2019, 04:06 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

I made a video on installing the Van shaft a little while back, if anyone is interested.
i didn't notice an improvement, but my Steering Linkage was brand new so that's probably why.
the biggest improvement was installing a professionally rebuilt steering box (RedHead)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Is this same bearing?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...%21+No+Mods%21