Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Lower Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Pontiac GTA and 4 Camaros
Engine: 5.7
Lower Control Arm Bushings

When replacing LCA bushings all manuals say to take to a machine shop and have pressed in. Question is..... Can I do it myself with a borrower press from AZ or AA or any place like that? Is it the same kind of press that you'd use for front lower ball joints? I dont want to get into this project and not be able to finish it. Thanks for any advice or knowledge beyond my theoretical BS! lol
Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Lower Control Arm Bushings

No this process needs a full.sized.press and the bushings can be very hard to remove
Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

It can be done with a c-clamp style press, but it's easier w a full size press. I've seen people bugger them up both ways.

The easiest and least likely to damage the control arm (but messiest) way to get them out is actually using neither, but to burn the rubber inside with a torch till it separates from the shell, push it out, and then either slit the shells w a cutting wheel or saw and sort of curl it out or dent/crush it (air hammer, chisel and hammer, whatever) and take them out.

Installing is really easiest with a press, but a full size or clamp style can do it as long as you brace the arm (otherwise you will bend it). The only thing that will make this go any better besides bracing is to make sure that the holes that they press into are clean and you get them absolutely straight, once you get them crooked it gets hard. If they go in easily you probably want to put a couple of tack welds around the edge of the shell to the LCA to make sure they don't move while on the car.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the input. Im glad I waited to do those. Its amazing how something so simple looking can be a royal pain in the ****!!! Can extreme heat melt the control arm? I have them out and we have small camp fires about everynight out here in the stix. I know it sounds ******* but could I just roast the bushings out like a marshmellow? lmao
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The bushings have a metal shell. SUre, you can burn out the rubber; but that's not the challenging part.

As cheeeeeeeeeeep as replacement ones are, and as much all-around BETTER, there's basically no sense whatsoever in dinking around with the weenie stock ones that you can bend with your hands. Throw that crap in the trash and get something else. Altogether eeeeeeeeeezier, not much more $$$$$, and potentially a noticeable upgrade to the car's performance.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

If you want to keep your stock control arms, grab some steel about the same thickness of the control arms, weld it in so you cant see it. Do both ends also. this will make it very easy to press the old bushings out and the new ones in.
Its a nice steathly upgrade.
I'm not a fan of the binding, squeaky, moaning poly bushings anymore.. I used them in my rear control arms for a few years and when I went to change them (rod ended arms) I turned them sideways and the bushings fell out of their shells..

I'm on the wrong page..ooops I'm talking about the rear arms..

Last edited by TTOP350; 12-04-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 97 LT1 W/ Alot of goodies.
Transmission: 4L60E W/ Yank SS3600
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
It can be done with a c-clamp style press, but it's easier w a full size press. I've seen people bugger them up both ways.

The easiest and least likely to damage the control arm (but messiest) way to get them out is actually using neither, but to burn the rubber inside with a torch till it separates from the shell, push it out, and then either slit the shells w a cutting wheel or saw and sort of curl it out or dent/crush it (air hammer, chisel and hammer, whatever) and take them out.

Installing is really easiest with a press, but a full size or clamp style can do it as long as you brace the arm (otherwise you will bend it). The only thing that will make this go any better besides bracing is to make sure that the holes that they press into are clean and you get them absolutely straight, once you get them crooked it gets hard. If they go in easily you probably want to put a couple of tack welds around the edge of the shell to the LCA to make sure they don't move while on the car.

+1

I bought a Harbor Freight press to do the job and lets just say I still struggled to get them in. Getting them out is the hard part.

For me the easiest is burning the rubber until I can slide it out. Use a grinder to remove the lip from the longer sized bushing then make some relief cuts on the lip on the outer side of the arm. Then just chizzle apart and use a socket to slide it out.

I would just suggest taking them to a shop and have them do it. Save yourself the headache. I just wanted to do it since I secretly wanted a press.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Not a big fan of poly bushings myself.... Got into an argument with the kid at AA over them. He said theyd never squeak and that the sway bars on the front and rear are the same size.....I had to walk out before I went 100 % B^tch on him.

I was browsing various part sites and noticed something. On some sites, you only get the actual bushing (rubber part only). Is it common to only replace the rubber and to leave the metal part in if its good? Kind of like doing wheel bearings? Ive always bought or had new rotors when doing the bearings and always discarded the new bearing race. I doubt Id ever want to remove/press in those things! Thanx for all the input guys.... It only proves that this site and its people are the best car forum/site on the web.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

I guess when the time comes to do it, I'll try to get away with only replacing the rubber. If the metal isnt rusted out or anything like that.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

For whatever it's worth I've got poly bushings on my front control arms and they've been there over a year now - no squeaks at all.

My rears squeak a lot, though, so I know poly can be noisy, and Im sure eventually my fronts will be noisy, but I have no regrets about it. When the time comes I will either regrease them or put some of those del-a-lum bushings in them... maybe. I doubt even that will bother me that much. My rears are super squeaky and annoying and I dont care at all about it. Got those rear LCA's for cheap just because the previous owner couldnt stand the squeaking. I guess it just doesnt bother me much.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

take them apart and drill them for zirks and cut notches to route the grease, or just lube them with waterproof grease...
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: klowny1969 <-youtube 4 3rd gen vids
Engine: subscribe to klowny1969 on youtube!
Transmission: subscribe to my channel on youtube