Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

torque arms and subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque arms and subframe connectors

I have a 454 with a th400 in my 89 camaro, and I have a couple questions. How much will my car hold up with the stock torque arm and no subframe connectors? When I bought the crossmember that I have, I also had to built my own brace for the torque arm. If I bought a transmission mounted torque arm will it mount onto the th400 because I don't want to buy another crosmember, and I know it won't mount onto the brace I made. If I have to buy another crossmember i would rather just get the parts to get it four linked. All advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by mtac454; 02-21-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
Re: torque arms and subframe connectors

454 and a TH400 will warrant some SFC's one way or the other. I've seen people twist their cars until the dash is a rattling mess with bolt on 350's and hard daily driving.

If you buy an aftermarket torque arm, just buy one that comes with it's own crossmember and mounting point. Mounting to the transmission case on that setup is asking for trouble. You are definitely flexing it if you launch hard at all... and possibly cracking that case in the future.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mtac454
I have a 454 with a th400 in my 89 camaro, and I have a couple questions. How much will my car hold up with the stock torque arm and no subframe connectors? When I bought the crossmember that I have, I also had to built my own brace for the torque arm. If I bought a transmission mounted torque arm will it mount onto the th400 because I don't want to buy another crosmember, and I know it won't mount onto the brace I made. If I have to buy another crossmember i would rather just get the parts to get it four linked. All advice will be appreciated.
I think your first sentence is the best thing I've read this week. Or maybe month.

We would love to have you take a look at UMI.

Did I mention 454 in a third gen sounds awesome.

ramey

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=6
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dizturbed One
454 and a TH400 will warrant some SFC's one way or the other. I've seen people twist their cars until the dash is a rattling mess with bolt on 350's and hard daily driving.

If you buy an aftermarket torque arm, just buy one that comes with it's own crossmember and mounting point. Mounting to the transmission case on that setup is asking for trouble. You are definitely flexing it if you launch hard at all... and possibly cracking that case in the future.
i barely even do burnouts, and i have only pulled off in first once. I had people complaining on youtube (bigred8944 is my account name) that i don't get into it hard enough, part of the reason i haven't made the engine radical is because i don't want to mess up the frame before i get it reinforced. Thanks for the advice i just didn't want to buy another crossmember, because originally i bought a universal one and it didn't fit, then later on i bought the one i have now. it was the first one i found that was guaranteed to fit. i found some from spohn that were 369.99, do you think those will hold up or do i need to buy the super heavy duty chrom-moly ones?

Last edited by mtac454; 02-21-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: revisions needed
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I think your first sentence is the best thing I've read this week. Or maybe month.

We would love to have you take a look at UMI.

Did I mention 454 in a third gen sounds awesome.

ramey

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=6
Thanks. Do you happen tu know the difference between the 2218 and the 2219 kit because the description appears to be the same but i could be overlooking something. I would assume that the more expensive one is stronger but it doesn't say.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Especially in your case, you need a standalone crossmember for the torque arm.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...819-post3.html

Looking at that picture will make it pretty obvious. Look at the link I provided in my post in the link (LOL) for more details.

You can run a crossmember-mounted Torque arm mount... but I just think its asking for trouble, especially with that kind of power.

And this is why you need subframe connectors at the STOCK power level:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...eet-metal.html
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mtac454
Thanks. Do you happen tu know the difference between the 2218 and the 2219 kit because the description appears to be the same but i could be overlooking something. I would assume that the more expensive one is stronger but it doesn't say.
Mechanically the same, one has the driveshaft loop. Same strength and both able to withstand big block power.

ramey
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Especially in your case, you need a standalone crossmember for the torque arm.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...819-post3.html

Looking at that picture will make it pretty obvious. Look at the link I provided in my post in the link (LOL) for more details.

You can run a crossmember-mounted Torque arm mount... but I just think its asking for trouble, especially with that kind of power.

And this is why you need subframe connectors at the STOCK power level:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...eet-metal.html

Do you know of any stand alone torque arm kits? I braced mine onto the crossmeber but i never planned on keeping it there.

Last edited by mtac454; 02-23-2012 at 11:48 PM.