Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

How should I go about this: shock, strut, and Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
How should I go about this: shock, strut, and Spring Question

Background: Currently in my car I have vogtland lowering springs and GR-2's all around. Unfortunately when i was sent my lowering springs i was provided the wrong set of fronts which, due to cost constraints and an inability of Vogtland to get there **** together, have remained on my car for the past 2-3 years. These springs have given my front a lift of about 0.5" over stock and the rear a drop of about 1-1.5" under stock (it looks like **** lemme tell you). So clearly my car has been running lopsided for quite a while. Luckily I haven't driven it much over these last 2-3 because I have been away at school but this car is soon to become my daily driver again so i need to fix these issues. I am looking for a setup with good handling. A firm ride is no problem but i want it to be manageable for everyday riding. Also because my car has been lopsided for so long I want to atleast replace my rear shocks for now, since they took the brunt of the issues, well as replace my springs all around so I have a level profile.

Springs: I do like the lowered look so I was thinking about going with Eibach Pro-Kit or the Sportline kit. I have found Sportlines for about $50 less then the Pro-kit.

Struts/Shocks: Over the next 8-10 months I plan to upgrade to koni yellows all around. However, I will be replacing my springs within the next 3-4 months and I am pretty sure, due to my mismatched springs,the last 2-3 years, I have killed my GR-2 shocks. The fronts do still seem to be okay for now. So my plan was to either buy koni yellow shocks and install those with the Sportlines/Prokit and keep the GR-2 Struts for another 5-6 months or get gas-a-justs's for the rear and run those for a while. After 5-6 months I will put Koni yellow's all around. I think I should also note that during that 5-6 month period I will need to drive the car about 50-100 miles a week if not more.

Now with all this information what do you recommend for springs? Sportlines for cheaper or Pro-kit for a little more (I heard pro-kit is better for handling which is what I want)? Also do you recommend running GR-2 Struts and Gas-A-Just shocks for 5 months then doing Koni yellows all around at one time or running GR-2 Struts and Koni Shocks for 5-6 months and then upgrade the struts to koni's as well?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: How should I go about this: shock, strut, and Spring Question

I would highly advise running Pro Kits instead of Sportlines. You will get better performance as well as better ride quality. The Sportlines are for looks only. Sportlines have a weaker spring rate on the rear than the Pro Kits. Seems strange, but that's how they are. Eibach does this because they want to use the bump stops as part of the Sportlines suspension travel.

You will have no trouble at all running one brand up front and another brand in rear. I ran Koni shocks and new springs in the back and factory original struts and springs up front for half a year. It was a cost issue......Later on, I put the Koni struts on......Later on, I did the new front springs.

Don't bother buying new KYB shocks if you plan on switching to Konis all around in the future. That's just wasting time and money on rear shocks for the interim.

The Konis more than anything else will make your daily ride a pleasure. You don't have to be out taking corners at 100 mph to enjoy them. Just regular driving will show their improvement.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Re: How should I go about this: shock, strut, and Spring Question

Thanks alot Reid this is exactly what i hoped to hear! Guess ill be going with the pro-kit and yellows in the back!