Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos

Hey all!

Among some of the other upgrades Im doing this time around on my car, I decided to finally swap out the steering column bearing as well as the steering shaft. Since I have taken a liking to video recording some of my work, I decided to do a small series on these steering upgrades.

The first two videos are focused on the bearing upgrade. I tried to clear up some (if there was any) of the confusion with this, as well as offer some solutions and other options for getting the bearings.

The next set of videos will explain the different shaft upgrade options, and also show how to modify them. From the modification of the column to the removal of the ujoint end to the welding it back on. I would have shown the Jeep shaft...but its really so simple. Once you get the two halves sliding in and out, it bolts right on. I confirmed this while I was building my brake lines. I used a Jeep shaft for mock up.

I will post the bearing upgrades now...and then update this post with the steering shaft videos later once they are uploaded.

Hope they help someone out! I think Im going to share this with the 4th gen crowd too. Some of their cars are 20 years old now and even the last of them are over 10 years old. They might be able to benefit from the upgrade esp on the high mileage cars.

J.

Bearing Swap Videos:

Steering shaft Modifications and Install:

Jeep Shaft Modification:

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-15-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5
Re: Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos

Thank you! That was a very worthwhile video. My engine is out and I am getting ready to do this "upgrade" and like you said there was no real step by step. I had a very strong idea of what was involved, but this just solidified it.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

Thanks for sharing these videos .
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Cool now I know exactly what I'm looking for!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Supreme Member

Glad to help! Steering shaft modification video will be up this afternoon!

J.

Edit... Thats a lie. Youtube is being a PITA lately. It'll be up soon!

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 09-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

has anyone found a PN for the bearing?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Steering shaft video FINALLY uploaded and ready to go (see first post)! Let me know what you think. Any criticisms or input good or bad about my videos let me know! Like I said, its something I kind of enjoy doing, and hopefully its helping some of you out. Got lots more planned, so any input is welcomed!

83 Crossfire... Do you know if there are part numbers on the bearings? Ill check the one that I have and see if there are any GM numbers on it.

I also found a bearing in a Chevy full size truck that looked like it would have worked. Except it was rusted all to crap and I couldn't get it out.

J.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

I went to one of my local yards today and it was too bad you didn't have the video posted earlier, because I wasn't quite sure which shaft I needed lol! I did find a good bearing though and will be installing it this week some time.

Great video series though!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Ah bummer. There are several shafts that'll work. I actually always think of things I SHOULD have said in the videos because there were other options to discuss, etc. I thought about taking video at the yard. But that would have been like 30 minutes long of me just rummaging around lol.

If you have a welder, and are ok using a dremel, you can make just about any shaft with the correct ends work I imagine.

Here are the only two numbers I saw on the bearing that I pulled out of the express van. Snapped them real quick yesterday before I headed home. Doing a quick google search, I didnt come up with much. Im wondering if it was ever a serviceable part from GM.

Name:  WP_20130929_014_zps0e83b669.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  WP_20130929_016_zps5e91faa2.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  35.9 KB

J.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5

I have been searching for days to find a part number that works and I have found nothing. I checked with the local parts store, through someone that knows a thing or two, and they couldn't find anything either. I am beginning to think this was not a serviceable part.

By me, at least, the yard is the only place to get one. I just need to figure out a day I can get over to one. I am ready for the swap, just need to bearing.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 will be LSX eventually
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner

I found this, It looks like trash in the photo, but it is labeled as the steering shaft bearing, and it appears to not have the collar around it. Maybe it comes with it, and it's just the wrong picture? might be work calling them about if you're having trouble finding it at the yard or parts store. The part number is also different than the one that he pictured above, so it could be something different. Just something I found and figured it might be what you're looking for.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...178&cc=1028089
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Supreme Member

Not sure what that bearing is... Doesnt appear to even be the bearing without the shaft.

That MIGHT be a bearing up at the other end of the shaft. But I almost kind of doubt that too. Weird... Maybe someone else knows what that is.

J.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

You said that the jeep shaft will just bolt right in, but I curious as to what jeep model to get the shaft from? In your video you stated that it was from an XJ. The end on that shafts I'm finding are not the same size as what is needed to fit on the column in my camaro. I have been to a couple of my local yards and pulled a shaft from a Cherokee, a Grand Cherokee, and an astro van. None of the ends are correct to fit to my column since the ends are different and the Astro/Safari shafts are too short . The only shaft I found that will work, and looks like the ones in your video, is out of a full size GM van such as the express/savannah. So which vehicle do I need to be looking for?

Here is the comparison between the two shafts I have purchased to my original. The shaft in the middle is the one I pulled from a Chevy Express, and the other one is out of a jeep wrangler. All of the jeep shafts I have pulled have ends like this. I don't have a welder so I'm trying to go as bolt on as I can.
Attached Thumbnails Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-shafts1.jpg   Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-shafts2.jpg  

Last edited by jharrison5; 10-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

More info:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ing-shaft.html

JamesC
Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jharrison5
You said that the jeep shaft will just bolt right in, but I curious as to what jeep model to get the shaft from? In your video you stated that it was from an XJ. The end on that shafts I'm finding are not the same size as what is needed to fit on the column in my camaro. I have been to a couple of my local yards and pulled a shaft from a Cherokee, a Grand Cherokee, and an astro van. None of the ends are correct to fit to my column since the ends are different and the Astro/Safari shafts are too short . The only shaft I found that will work, and looks like the ones in your video, is out of a full size GM van such as the express/savannah. So which vehicle do I need to be looking for?

Here is the comparison between the two shafts I have purchased to my original. The shaft in the middle is the one I pulled from a Chevy Express, and the other one is out of a jeep wrangler. All of the jeep shafts I have pulled have ends like this. I don't have a welder so I'm trying to go as bolt on as I can.
The Jeep shaft you show in the picture looks like its too new. The newer jeeps had a longer shaft and splined ends on both ends. That wont work. You have to go older body style XJ or ZJ. Or even MJ (Commanche). Both connections will be in the engine bay, unlike the newer XJ's that had the second connection inside under the column. Shoot for late 80's to 95ish.

As for the express van...I never actually saw an express van steering shaft. I just stole the bearing from one. I dont recall what the shaft looked like, but thought it was DD. Again, you need to get a slightly older Astro or Safari.

BUT..you said you dont want to weld. If you want an almost straight up bolt in, you need to use the XJ shaft. Im actually going to make a video showing how to get them "unglued" soon. Because its kind of a pain. Once you get them collapsed and moving, they will bolt right on after you slightly notch the steering column like I show in my video.

If you find the astro shaft, which appears too short when installed on the van, you can do all of the work, and take it to a shop to have it welded. You could slip a guy a $10/20 or something and he'll toss a couple spot welds on it for you. Just get it apart, lined up, and have them weld it. Easy.

James's link is a very good one and has a LOT of information that my videos dont. I was actully thinking about linking the threads up with my videos so its easy for people to get all of the information they need for doing this.

If you run into more issues, let me know!

J.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Then apparently I'm just pulling steering shafts off too new of vehicles. I was able to pull a 3rd gen shaft at the yard and that is what I was using for comparison. I'm going to try and get out to the yard today and see if I can find a jeep shaft, but I don't really remember seeing too many older jeeps when I was there before.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Just make sure it looks like the ones in my video and in the threads jamesc linked. You should be able to clearly see the two ends of the shaft in the engine bay. Word of warning...you will most likely need to in bolt the steering box. Sometimes you can hit the shaft from the box end and get it collapsed enough to remove it. But its tough.

good luck and any more questions let me know! I might shoot a jeep shaft video on Monday and post it.

J
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

I went to the JY to see if I could find these parts; in which I did but....How the hell do you get the the bearing out of the Astro van?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by robertfrank
I went to the JY to see if I could find these parts; in which I did but....How the hell do you get the the bearing out of the Astro van?
I took a can of WD-40 and a scuff pad when I went and after I removed the shaft from the column I cleaned the column part and sprayed it with the WD. Little prying with a flat tip and a little tug and it was off.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

YES! You HAVE to clean the shaft if its got corrosion on it. The bearing has an o-ring on the ID and its a tight fit. You dont want to damage that o-ring.

So like harrison says...take some scotchbrite or sandpaper with you, as well as some WD40 or something to clean the shaft up. And it'll slide right off.

I took video of modifying the jeep shaft, and babbled about some other stuff. I will post it tomorrow once its uploaded to youtube.

J.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Any other tips?

I'll be doing this in the winter. Already have a junked 97 Astro van for parts
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

XJ Steering shaft video added to the first post! Hope that helps!

The Project: I think its pretty well covered between the vids and the links on the forum. Cant really think of any extra tips or tricks! But if you run into any issues just post up!

J.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Haven't been able to make it out to the junk yard this week, but I checked and they have a hand full of early 90's Cherokees out there to get a shaft off of. Hopefully I can get out there this weekend and get one or two.

On a side note I pulled my column out to fix the wobbly tilt steering and while it was out I did the bearing swap with the metal collar and it worked out perfect. The column is super tight and wobble free now. Your video was a huge help!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Finally got the jeep shaft bought and installed... Your videos were a huge help and it fits great!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Awesome!! Glad they helped you! How's the new steering shaft feel?

J.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Ha ha ha well here's the deal...

When I bought the car a year and a half ago, the motor was blown, and all but one of the tilt bolts had fallen out. So I figured it would be easier to just pull the column to fix the problem. While the column was out I ran across your two threads about the shaft and bearing replacements, and decided to do them both. Column is now fixed and both of the mods have been done, but the motor wasn't salvageable, so the car is stationary at the moment.

From what I can tell both mods have tightened the steering up quite a bit, but I really never had a baseline to go off of since the column was so loose to begin with. Also the original rag joint shaft was pretty worn so I figured no matter what I was going to come out ahead.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Car: 89 IROC, 94 Z28 1LE
Engine: LQ9 swaps
Axle/Gears: Dana S60s

FYI, this was the bearing on a 99 Astro van... quite different than the earlier versions I see you guys found. There was no metal ring or clip, and the plastic holder is about 3 inches tall.

The intermediate shaft looks the same as the photos posted from other years though.
Attached Thumbnails Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-img_20140804_142340_384.jpg   Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-img_20140804_142349_060.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:18 PM

Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: Moded 350 engine
Transmission: 5 speed

Were you able to pop the bushing out or something and put the bearing in place of the old bushing? like take the bushing out of the plastic outer retaining ring and put the metal bearing in its place?? I did not know that were was a difference in years and when i went to the scrap yard today i found exactly what you found.
were you able to put the bearing to use after getting it out of the gray plastic housing??

Last edited by djdsails; 11-16-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Car: 89 IROC, 94 Z28 1LE
Engine: LQ9 swaps
Axle/Gears: Dana S60s

Originally Posted by djdsails
Were you able to pop the bushing out or something and put the bearing in place of the old bushing? like take the bushing out of the plastic outer retaining ring and put the metal bearing in its place?? I did not know that were was a difference in years and when i went to the scrap yard today i found exactly what you found.
were you able to put the bearing to use after getting it out of the gray plastic housing??
The stock camaro bushing is just a single piece of plastic, if I remember correctly... nothing you could add a bearing to.

I only used the shaft from the 99 astro, and had to find a bearing from an earlier model.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:59 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS convert
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen axle/4.11 gears

First of all let me say that this is a very informative thread. Thank you for all the work. I currently have a Momo steering wheel that is secured with allen head screws. The reason I mention this is would I be able to avoid the grinding and welding since I don't have the stock steering wheel anyway?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: lt1 10 bolt 3.23

Great videos, thanks! I'm definitely going to do the Astro shaft on mine. We are pretty lucky to have essentially drop in u joint junkyard shafts available to eliminate the rag joint in these cars. To do something like this in a fox Mustang will cost $200+ for an aftermarket shaft. This video took all the guesswork out of the Astro shaft for me, and I learned about the bearing upgrade which I hadn't heard of before.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:33 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS convert
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen axle/4.11 gears

Just an FYI for anyone that is interested in this mod. I was able to get it done without the grinding or welding of the new used steering shaft. There are two issues that need to get remedied. One is getting the turn signal to operate properly and the other is to get the steering wheel to look properly. Now the only reason that this worked out for me is because I have an aftermarket steering wheel that uses the same kit that you would use with a Grant steering wheel. So to fix the turn signal I had to grind one of the teeth on the steering wheel lock plate as you can see on picture 1. Before you start grinding just make sure that the horn connector is approximately located at the circled location on Pic 2 when you are done. This alone will fix your turn signal issue. Then since I had the aftermarket steering wheel all I had to do was adjust the orientation of my steering wheel because the aftermarket kit is not keyed the way the stock steering wheel is. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-pic-1.jpg   Astro Van Shaft and Bearing Swap Videos-pic-2.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

Ok so do the dealers still have new Astro van bearings like the one in the video or have they all been discontinued in typical GM fashion. The bearings that I have ordered on Ebay have been all wrong and the wrecking yards in my area have the vans already stripped of all the useful parts.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

I called the dealer and they said part has been discontinued. So far the Ebay part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-UP-GM-C...72.m2749.l2649

Didn't fit onto the lower column shaft. Way too much of a small diameter. I ordered from Amazon too and it didn't fit either and was pretty much identical to the Ebay part:
Amazon Amazon