Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Desperately need help with steering colum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Desperately need help with steering colum.

ok so to start I have a 91 Camaro with stock wheel and airbag on tilt column.

windshield wipers stoped working and it turned out to be the switch where the turn signal is attached to. tore the column apart, replaced the switch and put everything back together. not the column but the wheel is extremely loose and wobbly. removed the wheel and the senter steering shaft is the problem. it has tones of free play and moves in every direction including in and out. I have no idea on how to fix this problem. looks like all the play is in the joint or below . I replaced the bearing because it came apart on initial removal.

I cant seam to find a thread on how to fix, only on how to tighten the tilt mechanism.

any help is greatly appreciated because your my last help before it goes to the mechanic and I get screwed.

im trying to get pictures up but there's a collar with slits in it what centers and steadys the bearing and shaft that is kind of distorted, may be culprit?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1
Re: Desperately need help with steering colum.

How sure are you that it's not the column loose? The wheel is held onto the steering shaft with one nut, it physically can't be loose in all directions unless you put the wrong wheel back on after you took it off. Can you post a short video that might explain your problem? From the way you describe it, it sure sounds like the 3 inverted torx screws are loose, but those are the articles I think you've found already.