Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

What's your Coil-Over setup?/ What works ? what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L 350 SBC
Transmission: TH350
What's your Coil-Over setup?/ What works ? what to look for?

So for any reference I'm going to swap a UMI LSX / Coil-Over K-member with BMR Coil-Over A-arms into the car. And I'm still unsure the desired end-result of the car (either Track car or Drift toy) either way it's gonna be low and stiff

So like the title goes ... I'm looking to go coil-over with my car and have been doing a ton of research for my build, everyone seems to like Koni yellows but I'd like to just see what works and what doesn't. like springs? shocks? spring-rates? also any advice on the setup to help with steering angle and ride height? I know its a lot of questions but its hard to sort through some of the threads on here for the stuff I'm looking for
Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: What's your Coil-Over setup?/ What works ? what to look for?

Not to rain on the parade, but for either of your desired applications the coilovers are far from ideal. Use Koni yellows and either custom conventional spring of your required height and rate or a weight jack setup. The coilovers create more trouble than good and are in my opinion not worth it. I have had front and rear coilovers and believe me they are not ideal.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker supercharged.
Transmission: 5 speed manual transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.45 posi rear

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
Not to rain on the parade, but for either of your desired applications the coilovers are far from ideal. Use Koni yellows and either custom conventional spring of your required height and rate or a weight jack setup. The coilovers create more trouble than good and are in my opinion not worth it. I have had front and rear coilovers and believe me they are not ideal.
What don't you like about coilovers?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyGabe7
So for any reference I'm going to swap a UMI LSX / Coil-Over K-member with BMR Coil-Over A-arms into the car. And I'm still unsure the desired end-result of the car (either Track car or Drift toy) either way it's gonna be low and stiff

So like the title goes ... I'm looking to go coil-over with my car and have been doing a ton of research for my build, everyone seems to like Koni yellows but I'd like to just see what works and what doesn't. like springs? shocks? spring-rates? also any advice on the setup to help with steering angle and ride height? I know its a lot of questions but its hard to sort through some of the threads on here for the stuff I'm looking for
Thanks for choosing some UMI!

We were working on a front c/o for awhile but found that the lack of tire (spring gets in the way) and steering feel (strut pivoted on upper mount) that we preferred 86TA's method of standard coil and good quality strut.

Out back was a different story. We raced all season on these: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=783 including some national auto-x events and some brutal track days (like full road course at Pittsburgh International). The rear setup works awesome.

For those who don't want to go the Viking route, we also make this: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=807 which allows the installation of nearly any 2-1/2" coilover spring and damper combo.

ramey
Old 10-28-2014, 04:46 PM

yeah from what I've read so far tire/wheel size gets limited along with the steering feel, which will be an issue with my build. I think then I shall just run a traditional spring/strut setup on the car instead with some weight jacks up front and only coil-overs in the rear. And thanks for the reply Ramey, I always see you UMI guys on here, really makes me happy to know how involved your company is with the Third-Gen group. Proud to run UMI Products on my car
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71

I have coilovers in my car and they are great. The problems you read with them is everyone buying these kits and then trying to lower the car far beyond there limits. My car required custom coil over lengths to get the desired ride hight and then a trial and error to find the right spring rate. Now that its dialed in I love them.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Recaro trans am
I have coilovers in my car and they are great. The problems you read with them is everyone buying these kits and then trying to lower the car far beyond there limits. My car required custom coil over lengths to get the desired ride hight and then a trial and error to find the right spring rate. Now that its dialed in I love them.
Yeah I'm not completely opposed to a coil-over setup, but for this car I don't think I want to go with them (at least in the front) I want to have a decent amount of steering angle and room for tires. However I will probably do a full coil-over conversion on my next Third Gen, which will probably be a sleeper toy. Thanks for the input though
Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s

If you want to run coil overs on the front, I would suggest looking into BMRs design, as they maintain the spring below the fender entry hole. I have the Spohn coilover kit where the upper part of the springs seat against the inside of the top mount which requires the spring itself to extend through and above the fender mounting point. They work fine with street settings, however throw in some additional camber for track use and the springs start catching on the upper shock mounting points and make a heck of a racket when the suspension moves as the springs rub, catch, release against the fender holes.

With the BMR kit, the spring does not extend through the fender and with the design of their spring seats, there is room for additional camber adjustment. The kit includes Hyperco springs, which are also available in a wide variety of rates for tuning.

Koni Yellows all around as well, with 17" 4th gen Speedlines and 275/40s for track use. With the limited camber I am able to run, I have yet to have any shock/spring to tire rub issues. Ride is excellent, spring noise is repulsive.

I am going to look into modifying my Spohn upper spring mounts to replicate the BMR design and run the shorter Hyperco springs to resolve these issues.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 3500T
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/4.11

First of all I don't feel that coilovers significantly reduce tire size capability. I've run 275/40R17s up front on my car on C6 Z06 17x9.5s with a 2" spacer. Clearance is close but enough. If you wanted a wider front tire you'd probably have to use 18s anyway in order to clear the tie rod end.

I agree by far the BMR setup is superior with the spring mounted inside the strut tower rather that in the strut mount. Gives much more alignment capability. I don't have any complaints handling wise with mine but I played with a few spring rates to get where I am now. Currently running Tokico Illuminas with 450# springs.

If you're wanting a drift missile, I believe you can potentially get the most steering angle with a coilover conversion and custom LCAs. I haven't seen any OTS aftermarket a-arms that would allow much if any more angle than stock; also it is necessary to have a longer a-arm than stock to avoid having the tire rubbing the frame.

I believe more angle is possible with a coilover conversion because the wheel/tire would have no possibility of interfering with the stock spring pocket. However close to 60* should be possible with a factory spring location, extended/notched a-arms, a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box and modified knuckles.