Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

popping noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
popping noise in front end

My front end has been making a popping noise, the only time I really notice it is when I'm backing out of a parking with the wheels cut. It pops and the front end almost jumps or bounces it seems. I was certain it would be a ball joint but I jacked the car up and they were tight. I also checked the tie rods which were tight and all the sub frame bolts which were tight as well and none were missing. Wheel bearings were a little loose so I replaced them but it still pops when turning out of a parking spot. Any clues as to what else it could be, things to check next would be greatly appreciated because I'm stumped
Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: popping noise in front end

Check sway bar bushes and brackets for damage. See if the bar can be levered up and down in the brackets (equals bad).
Old 11-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Yea that's one thing I forgot to check thanks for the info I'll have a look at them tomorrow. Its also squeaking now when I turn the steering
wheel
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

We had a car doing something similar. Turned out the nut on one of the strut towers was loose. Pop the covers and take a look.

Squeaking when you have the wheel turned all the way usually indicates low power steering fluid.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Ok so I replaced the the sway bar links today cuz they were worn out and now its popping and clunking at slower speed turns with the wheel cut most of the way going forward and it was just doing it in reverse before. Could the struts be causing this? I read something about the frames cracking behind the gear box, could that be it?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Struts ?
Did you check the top of the top of the strut mounts under the cover as suggested.

One could be worn out or have a loose nut.

Ours made a noise similar to this but only with the wheel most of the way while moving forward.

Link to video =

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 11-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by beastin91rs
I read something about the frames cracking behind the gear box, could that be it?
It's possible, but your steering would constantly be "wandering" all over the road. Mind you I dont mean a slight wandering problem as if you have toe out or something. With the steering box ripping away from the frame; it would be damn near impossible to drive in a straight line at speed.

The only way to know if your frame is cracking is to look behind the steering box. I attached a picture of where to look at the bottom of this post. (look to the right of the red circle; notice the peusdo frame rail cracked in the top right corner.)
Attached Thumbnails popping noise in front end-steeringcrack.png  
Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Yea it did have a pull to it but changing the sway bar links seems to have corrected that, I think my next step will be checking out the struts like you suggested
Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg Warner Posi 3.27

Hello, I just wanted to add to this thread that I had very similar issues.. A loud popping when backing out slowly, turning, and breaking hard. A little frustrating considering EVERYTHING in the front end had been replaced...

However, after thoroughly examining the front end, I noticed that all the air damn, wheel well, and front bumper screws/clips were loose or had fallen out. After replacing the screws/clips its nice and quiet.

Hope this small tip helps!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Car: Z/28
Engine: 355
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: 3.73

mine use to pop when ever I was going into a driveway or backing out. I took it to a chassis shop "Global West" and Doug told me it was the crossmember flexing around because of the way it s designed. It is only held in place by 4 bolts and two pins. after awhile the holes get opened up just by normal use. There is a lot of weight on those attachment points. So Doug at Global West strip welded the crossmember to the front sub frame in just a few easy to access areas. It stopped the flexing around, the noise has been gone ever since and the car has tightened up by the added strength of the welding. If I ever want to remove the crossmember I can still just remove the small 1 inch strip welds and unbolt the crossmember as normal.