Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

changed steering box. still have same amont of play

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91camaro rs,2014 silverado 5.3L
Engine: 5.7Lcarb,5.3L
Transmission: 700-r4, 6L80
Axle/Gears: strange 3.73's
changed steering box. still have same amont of play

quick run down of what i have done so far, replaced all of the steering linkage components from center link to ball joints. upgraded the steering shaft to the astro shaft so no rag joint. tried adjusting the stock box, the play was improved but it was still there about 2" of play when moving the steering wheel. tonight i just installed a new reman steering box. there is still the 2" of play in the steering wheel. i dont know what else to change.

any ideas?????
Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt
Re: changed steering box. still have same amont of play

I take it you didn't check the torque specs of the "new" box.
Rebuilding seems to be done to very low standards these days.
Many people have posted about buying rebuilt boxes that are just as bad as the old ones. I think they just replace the seals and bolt it up, don't check the torque specs.
Pull the box back out and adjust it as if you were rebuilding it.
This is why I recomnend rebuilding them yourself, you have no idea what they did to it.
Also make sure you are not expecting too much. There can be apparent play in the shaft when testing it, but may still track and drive pretty well if rebuilt properly. The quick response of a rack and pinion type steering is simply not possible in a saginaw recirc ball type box.
It does sound like more play than it should have, might be able to set it better yourself. Or do the "keep returning until you get a good one " method some people use.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
I take it you didn't check the torque specs of the "new" box.
Rebuilding seems to be done to very low standards these days.
Many people have posted about buying rebuilt boxes that are just as bad as the old ones. I think they just replace the seals and bolt it up, don't check the torque specs.
Pull the box back out and adjust it as if you were rebuilding it.
This is why I recomnend rebuilding them yourself, you have no idea what they did to it.
Also make sure you are not expecting too much. There can be apparent play in the shaft when testing it, but may still track and drive pretty well if rebuilt properly. The quick response of a rack and pinion type steering is simply not possible in a saginaw recirc ball type box.
It does sound like more play than it should have, might be able to set it better yourself. Or do the "keep returning until you get a good one " method some people use.
you are right, i didnt check the settings on the new box. i assumed that it was correct, my mistake. on my old one it wasnt leaking it just had the play in it. i even took that one off and did the adjustments on it and it didnt change anything.

before i installed this box i checked it for play, it didnt have any that i could tell. the input shaft moved as soon as the pitman was turned. it felt nice and tight so i thought it was correct.

i am just worried that if i do any adjustments on the new box than the warranty will be voided, then i will be screwed if it still doesnt fix it
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

What's the condition of your rag joint?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RubberDucky
What's the condition of your rag joint?
non-existent lol. i have the modified astro shaft that uses u-joints on both ends.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

well just called autozone. if i do the adjustments it does not void the warranty. so i will do that tonight and see how it goes
Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem turned out the input shaft(from steering wheel) was out of adjustment. I replaced 2 x with fresh rebuilt units. anyway on the input shaft side there is a large lock ring approx.. 3.5" and adjustment nut with 4 holes. Back off lock ring I used flathead screwdriver standard thread (lefty loosy) . The Center nut with 4 holes I used 2 center punches turned clockwise alittle bit at time and check steering play. just make sure don't go to far it will bind and snug lock ring back down. This helped mine hope helps you.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by MikeD91convert
I had same problem turned out the input shaft(from steering wheel) was out of adjustment. I replaced 2 x with fresh rebuilt units. anyway on the input shaft side there is a large lock ring approx.. 3.5" and adjustment nut with 4 holes. Back off lock ring I used flathead screwdriver standard thread (lefty loosy) . The Center nut with 4 holes I used 2 center punches turned clockwise alittle bit at time and check steering play. just make sure don't go to far it will bind and snug lock ring back down. This helped mine hope helps you.
are you talking about the worm gear preload? the part with the holes is on the steering box right where the steering shaft connects?