Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Suspension help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension help!!

I'm planning on doing a lsx swap in my 92 in the next few months.. I've gathered a lot of info regarding the engine build & mods that have to be done to get the motor into the car.. Now the next step is to figure out what needs to be done to the suspension. As of right now it has a 3.1... So what do I need to upgrade?,
I'm also planning on having the car dropped an inch or 2..
Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen
Re: Suspension help!!

The first question to all the posts with this question is always….

What do you plan to do with the car? Street? Drag? AutoX/Road Race? Badondadonk? Bouncing it on hydraulics? Any combination of these things?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to just have it as a street car.. Something I can drive around & have fun with it on the weekends & "Run it" when I have to.. I dont think I'll put a turbo nor nitrous in it.. But in case I do, I would like to have it ready.. I been reading up on the tubular k member set up, & want to know if that's all I really need?? Will it be worth switching if I throw in lowering Springs??
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

A great place to start is replacing anything that could be worn, like the factory rubber bushings that are now 23 years old. Maybe steering linkage, ball joints, etc and since it's a street car I would stick with rubber bushings in the front a-arms. Use Moog. You could do poly in the back or a poly/rod end combo.
First few things I'd do, Upgrade the rear diff from the weak 10 bolt to a Strange S60, 12 bolt(Moser), or 9" Also get an aftermarket torque arm that removes it from the tail of the trans because it will break it with power like that. Happened to my buddies 01 Z28. I recommend a short torque arm, it will put more downforce on the rear end more quickly helping with traction. Subframe connectors, and a wonder bar are always a good idea for these cars, even with your 3.1L.

Some lower control arms and lower control arms relocation brackets will also help traction. You want the LCA's to angle downward towards the axle.

Drag radials wouldn't be a bad idea either to make that LS power stick.

Thats a good start. I'm sure some other members have some good tips also. Your question is a very common one, you could get a lot of info from a search. Don't use the search bar at the top of the screen. Use the advanced search option under "search" on the options bar at the top.