Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Suspension and support for ls2

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4 4 speed automatic
Suspension and support for ls2

My 87 sport model camaro has all stock suspension and everything all around it. If it were to have an Ls2 pushing around 500 or 600 horsepower, what all would I have to upgrade suspension wise. I would like the suspension would have some extra beef to it, and not have it be able to handle exactly what the car is pushing, so basically I don't want something that is the very minimum of what the car makes. Also it's a t top car, so would I have to put SFC's in it to keep the pillars from breaking??? Also would my factory rear end work, or could it be replaced by a ford 9 bolt or something like that. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt
Re: Suspension and support for ls2

Slow down lol you won't be breaking any pillars lol

Sfc is always a good upgrade stock or not
I suggest searching more threads
But suspension mods really depend on the use of the car street race car handle
turns go only straight

Shock struts , tires , springs would be the biggest upgrades to look at

Then there's lca and lca relocating bracket camber plates bushing upgrades tq arm

Depending on tires and if your going t56 or auto
Auto are more forgiving on drivetrain and rear end
Kinda need more info on your part budget of your auto or manual tire choice etc
Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Well it's gonna be a street car mostly but I may take it to the track for a couple quarters during the summer. I'm still not sure if I want a stick t56 or a auto. Relatively big tires in the back. The project will be started after I'm out of the Navy so I should have a good chunk of money since all my expenses will be paid for.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Cool I'm in navy also fmf corpsman 11 years

Yea I would settle on tranny because if your going to go t56 a 10 bolt won't last long unless you just cruise but what's the fun in having 500 rwhp

You would need to upgrade to a 12 bolt and or 8.8 hybrid for cheap and or a 9"

But yea shocks struts and tires and then springs ie prokit will be biggest improvements
Especially a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel all around

and other supporting bolt on mods For handling as go on into you project getting good deals on the classified

Going manual is a lot more $$$ to keep reliable than auto
A stalled auto is just as fun as manual and if you go auto at least match converter with cam
Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

The only necessary upgrade to your suspension to support 600hp would be a rear, the 10 bolt won't take it at all. I would suggest if you can afford it a 9 inch from Moser, Currie quick performance etc. Otherwise and 8.8 out 2001 up Stang and a lot of fab work.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

If he running a auto with street tires tires will get ls pinning before rear end brakes
Drag slicks different storie
But sounds like not going that route and wants a fast cruiser
Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

LS2 N/A can make 500 (with h/c/i)- 600 is a stretch w/out power adders or NOS. But a stroker will.
You're going to need a whole new drivetrain: LS2, trans, drive-shaft w/1350 U's, and rear (9", 12 bolt, S60).
THEN you need brakes for that horsepower.
THEN you could start on suspension.

Thank You for your service! If you have all the dough, there's better things to do with it, but we're all addicts, here. Best advice: buy a conversion for pennies on the dollar. If you're dead set on building your car, plan it out in stages and keep driving it as much as possible through all the stages.
Post a pic - need body & paint, too?

A quality used LS2 (stock) with big exhaust and a used trans will get you running - around 375rwhp - so time to figure out your brakes (fronts anyway) - year one; [4k motor/harness/pedal/accessories, 1.2k used trans, 1.5k exhaust big for later power, 1.3k brakes, + LS swap ancillaries = 8k+].
If you don't go crazy, the rear will last a year and you can do the rear brakes with the new rear - year two [3.5k].
Now you attack the suspension, 3k, then rebuild the trans for more power, 3k - year three [ 6k].
Then do the h/c/i to get you 500rwhp [2k]. You still have interior and paint to do - year four [sky's the limit].

If you have all the dough at once, you can save some, but I have not included everything (of course, people will debate my figures), and you still have interior and paint not included. All labor is yours (except trans).

Last edited by TEDSgrad; 04-13-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
LS2 N/A can make 500 (with h/c/i)- 600 is a stretch w/out power adders or NOS. But a stroker will.
You're going to need a whole new drivetrain: LS2, trans, drive-shaft w/1350 U's, and rear (9", 12 bolt, S60).

Thank You for your service! If you have all the dough, there's better things to do with it, but we're all addicts, here. Best advice: buy a conversion for pennies on the dollar. If you're dead set on building your car, plan it out in stages and keep driving it as much as possible through all the stages.

A quality used LS2 (stock) with big exhaust and a used trans will get you running - around 375rwhp - so time to figure out your brakes (fronts anyway) - year one; [4k motor/harness/pedal/accessories, 1.2k used trans, 1.5k exhaust big for later power, 1.3k brakes, + LS swap ancillaries = 8k+].
If you don't go crazy, the rear will last a year and you can do the rear brakes with the new rear - year two [3.5k].
Now you attack the suspension, 3k, then rebuild the trans for more power, 3k - year three [ 6k].
Then do the h/c/i to get you 500rwhp [2k]. You still have interior and paint to do - year four [sky's the limit].

If you have all the dough at once, you can save some, but I have not included everything (of course, people will debate my figures), and you still have interior and paint not included. All labor is yours (except trans).
This is pretty much what I'm doing.
Did the LS swap last summer. I need a 4th gear syncro or fork so it's being rebuilt this spring (was not in the plan) but I'll be upgrading it as I build.
I'll be doing springs, shocks/struts this summer as well.
Over next winter I'm getting 17" wheels so I can fit big brakes up front, and will be doing the rear suspension (LCAs, panhard etc).
And then I'll get an 8.8 with rear discs, maybe next summer.
Then I'll be ready for the planned ~ 450hp at the wheels... I estimate I have another $10,000 to go in to the car (interior is good and it's in paint this week)
Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ
Cool I'm in navy also fmf corpsman 11 years

Yea I would settle on tranny because if your going to go t56 a 10 bolt won't last long unless you just cruise but what's the fun in having 500 rwhp

You would need to upgrade to a 12 bolt and or 8.8 hybrid for cheap and or a 9"

But yea shocks struts and tires and then springs ie prokit will be biggest improvements
Especially a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel all around

and other supporting bolt on mods For handling as go on into you project getting good deals on the classified

Going manual is a lot more $$$ to keep reliable than auto
A stalled auto is just as fun as manual and if you go auto at least match converter with cam
I'm 17 now but I plan on being a mechanic in a p3 Orion flight crew. And I think I'm gonna go manual just because I think that would be more fun and that's what I want to build it for
Old 04-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mmadden55
The only necessary upgrade to your suspension to support 600hp would be a rear, the 10 bolt won't take it at all. I would suggest if you can afford it a 9 inch from Moser, Currie quick performance etc. Otherwise and 8.8 out 2001 up Stang and a lot of fab work.
I've heard that mosers are pretty reliable so I'll probably settle in one of those
Old 04-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ
If he running a auto with street tires tires will get ls pinning before rear end brakes
Drag slicks different storie
But sounds like not going that route and wants a fast cruiser
Ya I basically want a fast cruiser that I can also use as a daily
Old 04-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad

Haven't started my service yet but than you in advance! And yes I was in planning on modding the ls. Your yearly plan is actually very nice so I'll be sure to keep that in mind. And yes it needs paint and interior but I think I can get that done before I leave for the Navy. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Paints faded and interior is a little used. Almost 200,000 miles but it's been well maintained its whole life. Rebuilt 305 has around 5,000 miles and everything under the car had been untouched (transmission rear end driveshaft ect.) I plan on getting an iroc hood and iroc ground effects then painting it black and giving it two red stripes. Interior will be swapped from all red to black and gray with some black and red seats. She's a work in progress for sure, and could definitely use some love!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Yea I agree do it in stages when you collected everything then do it
My biggest regret is having my car sit for so long lol

Go navy lol you love it I been in 11 years been to Iraq and Afghanistan with the marines etc etc its fun time I originaly joined to be a mechanic but I'm color blind so now I save lives lol fix bodies and cars

Sounds like you got a plan if you ever get station in SoCal hit me up