Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Changing Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: v6 3.1
Transmission: Automatic
Changing Shocks and Struts

So my suspension is pretty horrible and we're changing them out. We just did the front end the other night and we put monroe gas matic on the front, haven't driven it much since then since its no longer my daily driver but was this a bad idea? Everything I've read says Monroe are trash, but how bad are they for a (temporarily) spare car. I love her but she kept having issues and couldn't risk missing work.

Changed out the rotors, pads, and inner bearings (purchased wrong outer bearings since I have a performance package apparently, who knew?) Will swap them out in the next few days.

While changing everything out we noticed the passenger side doesn't have something my friend called a 'castle nut' and said it was really bad to not have but we couldn't find it to order anywhere. Does anyone have any tips?

Anyway, my big question is whether or not I should put Monroe on the back as well? Also firestone recommended I change out my wheel cylinders and my friend suggested if we do that we may as well do the shoes too. Is that necessary or is he just trying to make life harder on himself? (Hes doing this all for nothing more than beer)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Changing Shocks and Struts

I'm not sure if these are the exact same as the ones on a stock setup, so you may want to confirm with them, but I found a set of the spindle nuts here: http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=400 You may be able to find them elsewhere too (at a local junkyard would be another good choice?).

As far as changing out the shoes, if you've got the drums apart far enough to change the cylinder out, the shoes would be right there and super easy to replace at the same time.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

[QUOTE=SparksAj;5910059]Changed out the rotors, pads, and inner bearings (purchased wrong outer bearings since I have a performance package apparently, who knew?)

You have the performance package (1LE with larger rotors and dual piston alum calipers) with rear drums? The castle nut you need can be found in the following link:

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987-...r-Pin-Kit.html

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-30-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I gave my buddy my card, he hopped to AutoZone and asked if I had performance pkg or not. I said no because I figured I'd know if I did after 2 years, he brought them back and the bearings that sit on the outside wouldn't fit correctly and we put the old outer bearings back on, going to work on it in a few days with replaced bearings. Unless the AutoZone guys gave us the wrong part, which admittedly, we didn't check.

I've replaced the rotors twice, and both times they were just normal rotors as far as I could tell(First change was absolutely necessary, this recent change was because my alignment has been horribly bad the last few months and it's likely the rotor may have been slightly warped)
Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

"We just did the front end the other night and we put monroe gas matic on the front, haven't driven it much since then since its no longer my daily driver but was this a bad idea? Everything I've read says Monroe are trash"

The Monroes are fine for your purpose. If you were looking for performance handling and the like, KYB, or other performance shock/strut would of been the choice.

I been running Monroes for years without a problem. You're fine.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SparksAj
I've replaced the rotors twice, and both times they were just normal rotors as far as I could tell(First change was absolutely necessary, this recent change was because my alignment has been horribly bad the last few months and it's likely the rotor may have been slightly warped)
See the performance package below.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Changing Shocks and Struts-screen-shot-2015-04  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC
See the performance package below.

JamesC
As far as I can tell the only difference is where the pads go? And the strut being a diff color but obviously that's not it
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by SparksAj
As far as I can tell the only difference is where the pads go? And the strut being a diff color but obviously that's not it
Not many cars were originally equipped with the performance package. Your car no doubt has the standard package, smaller rotors and iron, single-piston Delco-Moraine calipers.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC
Not many cars were originally equipped with the performance package. Your car not doubt has the standard package, smaller rotors and iron, single-piston Delco-Moraine calipers.

JamesC
Yeah we'll have to look at the box we got because something doesn't add up. Either they gave us the wrong part or my very smart and mechanically inclined friend was being an idiot. Both are likely